Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • What do you carry on a long ride – Dark side content
  • scandal42
    Free Member

Day off work tomorrow and I have planned what will be the longest road ride I have done to date (only started in July)

I’ve got 80 miles on the agenda and would like some advice on what you would take. I was planning on only using jersey pockets if possible.

Lightweight waterproof
    Small pump
    Inner tube
    few snack bars

Anything obvious or necessary you can add?

richpips
    Free Member

2X

Inner tube

rmgdsc76
    Free Member

Tyre levers, small of cut of tyre – incase of gash in tyre can be used to patch. Emergency £10 note (coffee, cake or beer)

Enjoy that ride, I always check the wind direction on a long ride and plan route accordingly.

spectraken
    Free Member

water, tool(s) and maybe lights

carlos
    Free Member

Money
    Multi tool
    Puncture repair kit inc tyre levers
    Phone
    Quick links

scandal42
    Free Member

Cheers chaps. I’ll double up on tubes, have the lights on the bike ready.

Spare links may be an oversight but the chain has had minimal use and is in good nick.

Looking forward to it, weather looks agreeable which is a bonus

Philby

Wet wipes
    +1 for chain links
    Sunglasses

davosaurusrex

Ziploc back for phone. Maybe ear warmers and chapstick if it’s going to be cold / windy

JCL
    Free Member

Eat within the first hour. Drink three bottles minimum. Check your chain, tyres and spoke tension before the ride.

longmover
    Free Member

1 tube
    puncture repair patches
    tyre levers
    multitool
    phone, bank card, cash and ID in a zip lock bag
    emergency energy gel
    and most importantly, jam butties
    sometimes on longer rides I will also carry a couple of slices of malt loaf.

jekkyl

20 miles more and you got a century! Go to it…. Have a good ride!

wilburt
    Free Member

Check the forecast, if no rains due, binned the waterproof.

1 tube
    Self adhesive patches
    Couple of hex keys
    1 lever
    Mini pump
    Phone
    Tenner
    Tissues
    Drinks bottle
    Couple of emergency gels
    I also have a tiny bottle of lube if it’s wet cos chain noise bother me, other wise good legs and knowledge of the route is about it. Have a good un.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cash and card
    Phone
    2 bottles
    Bananna
    Couple of bars
    Tube tool and pump

If it’s UK it’s hard to get too far from a cafe

mooman
    Free Member

2 tubes.
    Pump.
    Tyre levers.
    Multi tool.
    Spare chain link.
    Mobile phone.
    Money.
    Food & water (1 bottle up to 50 miles)

bikebouy
    Free Member

I carry:

1 tyre lever
    1 micro pump (I can pump up to 100psi with it)
    10 mini patches and glue and a bit of rough emery cloth, 2 tyre patches.
    IPhone
    £52 in 2 £20’s and 2 £5’ers, 2 £1 coins (for the jet wash on the way home)
    Clif Bar
    2 Gels
    1 1.5ltr bottle with a light mix of energy solution
    House key
    Shades (clear lenses this time of year)
    Garmin

This does me for 100k routes on the roadie, I don’t vary much throughout the seasons. I have this sorted down to a small and effective manageable pack which fits in my jersey pockets.

I add to that a Lezene multi tool if I’m on the CX’er.

If I get cold or hungry (unusual) I head for a cafe or small shop, if I run out of water (occasionally I do) I head for a shop or a church yard and seek out the tap.

Remote rides or 100k point to point roadie rides and I’ll take the multi tool too, debit card and another £50.

benw
    Free Member

Bikebuoy,you take £52!!you either like expensive cafes or you are stopping to buy the spare inner tubes you didn’t take.where does your 1.5l bottle go?

lunge

Tube
    Pump/CO2
    Tyre lever
    Multitool
    Glueless patches
    Inhaler
    Case with phone, train pass, money and cash card
    Tiny folded up gillet
    Banana and/or energy gel
    2 bottles on the bike, I would look to refill at halfway.

iainc

One thing not mentioned but very handy is a pair of disposable nitrile gloves, weigh nowt, takes no space and great if you have to fix a puncture. On the road bike I have pump on frame and a tiny lezyne seatpack with : tube, levers, tool, chainlink, patches, gloves. I take 2 bottles and pop some food and a gilet in pockets, with phone and cash/card

cyclistm
    Free Member

In addition to the above, a cleaned out toothpaste tube makes a great tyre boot

bikebouy
    Free Member

I learned a long time ago that £52 in cash is just about enough money to get a cab to the nearest town/train station and either get a train or a cab/private hire car home..

It’s a short story where I learned that lesson.. I bought a De Rosa Avant back in 03′ brand new, rode out on it up to Farnborough the day after buying it where the rear chain stay promptly broke in half. I was stuck 50 odd miles from home, £10 in cash and had to walk into Farnborough (2.5miles) to try and catch a train or sort out a cab. Very luckily I stumbled upon a private hire cab and asked if he would take me home to Warsash, pleaded poverty and £10 I had, he very kindly and sympathetically agreed and drove me home with the bike in the boot of his cab. Cost me £50…. The bike was a pile of shite and I’ll never buy another De Rosa again.

See, £50 !! The £2 I use to jet wash the bike after a ride.

My 1.5ltr bottle fits in my cage, most of the time I’ll make do with a 1ltr, but if the rides over 70k the slightly bigger one comes out. I know nearly every church/village in Hampshire so the 1ltr is more than adiquate.

😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t UK taxis take a card these days?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Not back in 03 they didn’t 😕

But it’s like a superstition or something… 😕

weeksy

Bank card
    Phone
    A Victoria sponge cake
    Fork.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Only difference for me on a long ride to a normal road ride is I take money and another bottle, always love the first mile or two as you head out on an epic ride getting used to the extra weight!

Oh I’d plan the place where your aiming to top up your supplies to ensure you use all your current supplies up to make sure you actually stop rather than well I could go on to the next place then bong halfway there and suffer etc.

On a side note if this is your first long road ride, I’d suggest a can of coke about 20% from home will perk you right up I find droning away on the road on your own although satisfying does kinda cause you to go into an odd place in your head a can of coke kicks you back to normal… you’ll see what I mean. (although might just be me).

Have fun!

darrenspink
    Free Member

Stuff above ^^^ (not tbe cake though).
    Rather than any spare chain links I just take a spare chain out.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Lezyne sv5 minitool
    1 tyre lever
    Park patches
    Tubes x 2
    mini pump
    phone
    card
    food/drink to suit conditions/ride usually a bottle or two and a few cereal bars & the lucky gel

RoterStern
    Free Member

xc-steve you take a bong with you on long rides?

onandon
    Free Member

Topeak mini ratchet set
    Lezyne mini pump
    Tube
    Topeak emergency box
    Quick link
    Pair or later gloves
    Credit card
    About £40 in paper money
    A few energy gels
    One 750 ml bottle of water
    iPhone in a Topeak waterproof case
    Door key with emergency pod containing £20

All of this goes into my tiny saddle bag and my jersey pocket.

Latex gloves are a worthwhile addition for any dirty repairs or emergency rainproof layer for your warm gloves.

Klunk
    Free Member

Just going to say I’ve started carrying Latex gloves.

kcal

I’d still take either a good windproof top or some kind of extra Pertex even if not waterproof top, for when it’s a bit chill or you’re on a long downhill.

And lights, even if emergency pocket ones – for dawn / dusk gloom or if it turns grey.
    Definitely lights actually.

Jamie
    Free Member

Light sabre. Red.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Foil blanket, costs £2.99, weighs nowt, and if you have an off or a major mechanical it’ll stave off the worst of the cold as long as your insulated/dry underneeth.

Eat within the first hour.

Does anyone else find they have a slump in energy levels really early if they do this? I find it much better to not eat untill about 30 miles in then a handfull of something every 20 min.

Drink three bottles minimum

In summer, in December that’d have me pissing like a racehorse. I usualy find 1 plus a cafe stop sometime after halfway for a pot of tea and if I’m running out of fluids asking the top top it up.

dunmail
    Free Member

Small saddlebag containing:
    1 x spare inner tube
    1 puncture repair kit
    1 CO2 cylinder and valve
    2 x tyre levers
    1 x multi-tool

Pump is on frame (attaches under bottle cage)
    2 x water bottles (summer only, just one in winter)

In pockets:
    Gilet, usually wear in winter
    Waterproof, in winter this is usually in the second water bottle
    Waterproof pouch with debit card, cash and mobile phone
    A gel or two for emergency

Water bottle gets refilled at cafe stop.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Mini pump
    tube
    self adhesive patches
    tyre levers
    multi tool (with chain tool)
    jacket/arm warmers
    Cash
    Phone
    gels & bars.

All fits in my jersey pockets as I can’t stand saddle bags.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Pump
    Puncture kit
    Multitool
    Phone
    Debit card and/or a tenner
    Peanut butter sarnies
    Water
    Arm warmers (OH’s over-knee socks)
    Buff
    Clear shades

mtbguiding
    Free Member

No-one mentioned gear hanger? Wouldn’t leave the home without one personally… weigh nothing, easy to swap. And the most likely ride-stopping thing to break.

lunge

No-one mentioned gear hanger?

Completely forgot about that. Yes, I carry one, it lives in my saddle bag and has been there so long I’d forgotten it was there. Though I have used one in the past and it did save the ride.

scandal42
    Free Member

Thanks to everyone for the advice and tips, didn’t see the headwind one until I got back and it was bloody windy at times 🙂

Anyway, completed my first real long ride (in my eyes anyway) and it was superb, absolutely excellent way to spend the day and I look forward to more.

Enjoyed the smaller lanes that go round one side of Carsington water in particular.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Excellent, that part of Derbyshire is a beautiful place indeed.

What did you take in the end?

scandal42
    Free Member

Quite minimal in honesty

2 tubes
    750ml water
    levers
    pump
    small waterproof
    2 cable ties
    small electrical tape
    4 ceral bars
    1 gel (didn’t use)
    £5
    Debit card

Yep lovely riding on the many small lanes, also enjoyed the part from Repton and on through the grounds of Calke Abbey and Staunton Harold in Leicestershire.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘What do you carry on a long ride – Dark side content’ is closed to new replies.