Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What do you carry and where for a standard xc race?
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Thinking about my carrying strategy for xc race, normally just wear my camelbak and so can put in spare tyre, multi tool, pump, tyre levers. Thinking I might change tack though as got used to racing cx without anything and like the no pack freedom. Run tubeless so might ditch everything and just carry a co2 inflator in case a loose a lot of air and check sealant pre race.

What do you normally carry and how?

Yak

Bottle, gel, inhaler (asthma).

And yes, have had a few walks back to the arena.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

2xCO2, inflator, tube, (small) multitool, quicklink.

All in the smallest saddle bag it’ll fit in.

Proper maintenance addresses 99% of race issues.

Inflator/CO2/tube is for the 1%. Multitool/quicklink is for peace of mind.

(Races with pits i don’t take anything)

FWIW, not actually had a mechanical in a race since the 90’s………

Rorschach
    Free Member

(Did) Bottle,gel and tiny multi-tool (crash-bars/seat move=game over)

everyone
    Free Member

Small bottle (if I can persuade friends/relatives/clever animals to bottle for me), gels, small multi tool, CO2 x2, tyre levers, tube.

Gels, multi tool, CO2 and levers go in pockets. Tube is under the saddle with a toe strap.

JoB
    Free Member

spare tyre for a XC race? blimey 🙂

similar to above, bottle, cage-mounted mini-pump, spare tube (running tubeless) and multi-tool in back pocket, qwiklink

Kryton57

I have an elastic band around a co2 cartridge & valve, some levers, a quick link and some Leyzne quick patches. I also carry an inhaler, small (Leyzne V10) multitool and a caffeine gel all in pockets, with one bottle full or half full depending on race duration / temp. I have a tube – soon to be replaced with the new Schwalbe stupid light one – strapped onto my seat tube.

I’ve never used any of it except the gel on occasion!

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

No tools currently with just a bottle as most of my mtb races are an hour long.
    One walk back with a split to front tyre in 5 years of racing,not bad!
    Longer than an hour maybe tube,minipump and multitool?
    Max

amedias
    Free Member

For a standard 1-1.5hr race I just take a multi tool and co2 inflator and sometimes a tube all either in back pockets or taped to bike. In summer races I might take a half filled bottle.

For longer races I’d up that to two tubes and more fluids. For 12 or 24 hour races it’s back to minimum as I can always grab spares or food and water in the pits.

Should add I’ve only ever punctured in short races a couple of times in the last 15 odd years, and only a few times in 24hr events, have used the multi tool a few times though due to things taking a whack on course or rattling loose.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Oh yeah, bottles.
    One water, one energy drink. Sometimes full, half full, depending on conditions/support/course. Never bother with gels

cp

Standard xc race I just take a bottle…

oldgit
    Free Member

Same as cp. And just hop the tape back to HQ and call it a day.

ferrals
    Free Member

😆 @ JoB, best to be prepared, it’s wild out there!

Cheers all, think I might go a bit more minimalistic in future. Like many, I’ve never had a mechanical in an xc race that I could have fixed with the stuff I take with me.

njee20
    Free Member

Co2 pump wrapped in a tube, attached to seatpost with Mt Zoom handy strap. Quick link taped to front brake hose. Multi tool in pocket. 1 bottle per lap (generally half full). Gels in pocket.

vdubber67
    Free Member

A bottle and my van key on a lanyard. Although sometimes I don’t bother with the key. 🙂

Can’t believe how much people might carry in an xc race. If you mechanical you’ve blown it anyway surely?

mattyfez

I would think so.. I’ve never raced but a flat or a snapped chain would be game over anyway so why bother carrying anything other than a water bottle?

wellywheels
    Free Member

A typical xc race 1.5-2 hours I’ll carry nothing apart from a co2 canister . Marathon’s spare tube, Co2/hanger/multitool. Same for team relay events as well. However on the XC races, I have spares in the tech zone. Wheels/chain/saddle with a seat post

ferrals
    Free Member

much people might carry in an xc race. If you mechanical you’ve blown it anyway surely?

For our regional series it’s all rounds count, so if you can fix and continue its better than a DNF

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

And a flat/snapped chain/minor mechanical is only 90-120 seconds off the bike, all being well. So hardly the end of the world in a 90 minute race.

windyg
    Free Member

Normal XC race – 1 bottle not full, Co2 inflator, quick link, gels/jelly babies.
    Only had 1 puncture Co2 saved that race and only DNF was when I ripped the buckle off my shoe in a crash would have swapped with a slower team mate but he had clown feet.
    Longer marathon races I leave various tools/spares/food with the wife in the pits.

JoB
    Free Member

mattyfez – Member
    I would think so.. I’ve never raced but a flat or a snapped chain would be game over anyway so why bother carrying anything other than a water bottle?

you can at least finish the race, which is important to some, or it’s a long walk home

stayhigh

Sorry for a slight hijack but out of curiosity what co2 inflator are people using as thinking of getting one?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What do you carry and where for a standard xc race?’ is closed to new replies.