Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)
  • What do you call good MPG?
  • br
    Free Member

in my experience the total running costs of a car is approximately 12-15p per mile excluding fuel based on 15k a year.

Doubt it, try doubling it (tax, insurance, tyres, servicing, breakdown-cover etc).

Lionheart
    Free Member

Our best was a Clio 1.5dci would often get up in the 80s and averaged over 62 in our ownership but it was one of our most unreliable cars and the money spent on it made it more expensive to run than a Scooby, which was often low 20s and hard to get 28 but only needed servicing and nothing else.
    Full life costs on three of our cars
    Clio 1.5dci 30,000 miles – 44p per mile (did 62mpg overall)
    VW Passat 1.9tdi 142,000mies 32p per mile (did 42mpg overall)
    Citroen Xantia 1.9hdi 240,000 24p per mile (did 38mpg overall)
    Our typical driving is brisk but not foot to floor, motorway miles at 80ish.

Currently our Old Vito is doing rather well (high 30s, 40ish on a run, low servicing costs and little else) especially for a van but our Aygo (annoying little thing) is not doing so well (currently averaging 38, mostly short journeys but same as Clio above, but keeps going wrong, clutch at 30k, new discs, new exhaust and cat) especially for a newish small hatch.

So many factors and unless one is doing the miles mpg is not the most significant in our experience.

Ps bikes more extreme 100 plus out of Honda Cub but struggle to get much more than 35 out of my big old beamer. Reckon the racer is easily in the teens, poss low teens but flat out two stroker.

Conqueror
    Free Member

My current car cost me £1500 with 80k on the clock, today it’s got 115k on the clock, still worth a grand and does 36mpg average and ~40mpg on a run. IMHO that’s good.

what is it?

Lionheart
    Free Member

Have had a couple of VAGs with figures like that, but could be a Volvo etc, unlikely to be a Ford or Vaux though!?

sbob
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member

There is so much sanctimonious and ill-informed opinion from certain individuals on here with newer and more economical cars. I’d be fascinated to know how their carbon footprint compares to that of those us running older less economical cars but doing lower mileage and flying infrequently and cycling to work and living in a well insulated fairly cool house and working in a barely heated business unit (delete as applicable).

I run an 18yr old car that does an actual 50mpg average, which I do very few miles in.

Do I win a prize? 😀

skiboy
    Free Member

Late to the fight but thought i may add to the post:

I have a 8 month old 3L V6 TDI Mercedes and it does an average of 38mpg (sports estate)

my wife has a 2 month old Mini countryman 1.6 TDI it is meant to do around 45-50mpg but struggles to do 35mpg ???

?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 litre Auto Average 60 mpg. Driven normally, not too slow and not pedal to the floor.

Honda CBF 125 motorbike 100 mpg I use it for commuting

Suzuki Gsr 600 35mpg average that gets thrashed when it’s dry.

molgrips
    Free Member

Skiboy – engines take a long time to loosen up – up to 20k miles sometimes. Also remember the quoted figures for mpg are not what you should expect. If in a year’s time you are not getting 45mpg around town in that car I’d have a look at your driving style tbh.

trail_rat
    Free Member

20k miles to loosen up an engine . Its not 1972 anymore.

legend
    Free Member

TDI (sports estate)

The dealer saw you coming

😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is it the e350 cdi – 320 ish bhp – with the amg sports pack it handles and goes much nicer than any of the blandboxes folk love so dearly on here.

Loved my parents one…. One of te few conventional cars id entertain these days after finding the joy of vans!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Having spent most of the time since I got a licence with a series / defender
    Anything above 20 seems cheap to run lol was very happy with my Renault master doing low 30s
    But I don’t do many miles by car each year

But getting bored going slow so time for another fun/ quick ish car this year

Northwind

sbob – Member

I run an 18yr old car that does an actual 50mpg average, which I do very few miles in.

Do I win a prize?

No, you are destroying the world by wasting this resource- you should give it to someone who will drive more miles and therefore save more fuel. You scum.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Both our cars are 2.0t petrols and both average between 30 & 35 mpg which I think is good for what they are (Ford S-Max and Saab 9-5 Estate). I certainly don’t feel the need to change them for diesels.

My old V8 Range Rover is the least economical car I’ve ever owned. IIRC I think it was averaging around 12-15 mpg, but I was only doing a couple thousand miles per year so it didn’t bother me.

chiefgrooveguru

Do I win a prize?

If you have a tall enough stepladder you get to push molgrips off his stratospherically high horse and claim its saddle. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

This is nothing to do with sanctimony. I’ll freely admit my carbon footprint isn’t great at all.

But the facts are the facts. It’s precious stuff, we should not be pissing it away.

skiboy
    Free Member

trial rat,

its the C350 AMG sport plus with 265hp and a whopping 620NM of torques,

I think its quite legit to call a 155mph (limited) autobahn storming estate a ‘sports estate’ but then what would i know i’m only a lowly F1 engineer.

i know one thing i didn’t buy the petrol version through choice and i couldn’t afford the AMG C63 this year but i might be able to at the end of this season 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

From my extensive records…. 🙂

Vespa GT200 74mpg
    Piaggio X10 72mpg
    Ducati ST3s 44mpg
    Ducati Monster 696 52mpg (mostly being thrashed to within an inch of its life)
    Honda NC700X 74mpg (that’s just the first fill, I’m hoping to get it up to around the 80mpg mark)

And remember none of those get stuck in traffic either 🙂

EDIT
    I used to have a Honda CG125 that cost me £250. I used to get bored waiting to put fuel in it, yes it was slow but it easily exceeded 110mpg all the time. £6 of fuel used to last me something like 3 weeks!
    No good for a 50 mile round trip motorway commute 5 times a week though!
    I lost the back end on a wet roundabout once, I just lay there laughing as it span round on its footpeg, got up, kicked the starter twice and rode off. Fantastic bit of kit.

andybanks
    Free Member

Some jumped up people on here really.

What has my fuel economy got to do with you and who are you to say I shouldn’t get a car with low MPG?

Is it not a free country?

I chose a car that suits my needs. It has a low MPG but I accepted that when I bought it and pay tax (fuel and ‘road’) at a higher amount as a consequence.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The green willy measuring competitions on here are great. In a nearby thread you’ll find the same people condoning driving the length of the country to play in the woods, and justifying spending thousands on toys to play with.

Your carbon footprint is directly proportional to how much you spend. It doesn’t matter what you spend it on. We nave an oil based economy. Money is oil.

Oh… anything over 30mpg is good for me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

This is nothing to do with sanctimony. I’ll freely admit my carbon footprint isn’t great at all.

But the facts are the facts. It’s precious stuff, we should not be pissing it away.

You cant pick and choose these things , just because you drive a pious doesnt mean you can ignore the other areas of your carbon footprint that are pissing it away and lecture others on their choice of car.

What about carbon pffset rangerovers 😉 Where they pay to have a bunch of trees planted in exchange for a little sticker on the back that says carbon offset ?

Conqueror
    Free Member

I agree with 5thElefant and perhaps would go further (?)

Every last drop of oil will be sold, some day there will one day be a war over resources, I don’t see how this can’t happen…

The nuclear disaster in Japan with Japan admitting it can’t meet its emissions targets how do you see that?

solamanda
    Free Member

what is it?

A 2004 2.2 Petrol Vectra.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some jumped up people on here really.

What has my fuel economy got to do with you and who are you to say I shouldn’t get a car with low MPG?

Is it not a free country?
    It’s a question/survey feel free to answer or not

AlexSimon

50mpg is my vote

molgrips
    Free Member

just because you drive a pious doesnt mean you can ignore the other areas of your carbon footprint

I don’t think that. I make an effort in all areas. Not as much as I should though, as I admitted earlier.

molgrips
    Free Member

In a nearby thread you’ll find the same people condoning driving the length of the country to play in the woods

No you won’t.

What has my fuel economy got to do with you

Lots, because we live together.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Recently become the owner of a BMW 320d efficient dynamics. Over my first 5k miles, the worst I’ve achieved is 50mpg which was on my first tankful, with running in and town driving. Since then I’m regularly getting 60mpg on mixed town and motorway driving.
    This is actual mpg calculated from brimming the tank rather than the trip meter figure which is normally between 5 and 10% higher.
    By comparison I previously had a 2.0 ctdi 160 Insignia. That gave a best of 50mpg,but typically returned 45mpg.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

30-35mpg is good mpg.
    My little 1.4 partner spazvan does 43-45 if I drive at it’s comfy speed- 65mph.
    My 2.4 A6 estate does 30-33 but can bowl along at 80mph.
    My old 911 did 26-30mpg depending on if it was a long run at 90mph or if I was screwing along the back roads playing tunes on the gearbox.
    If I can’t run it on veggie then I don’t really have any interest in a diesel car and all the raised fuel prices that goes with (£1.27 ul v £1.38 d here). Never mind the extra maintenance bollocks on modern diesels.
    The commuter motorbike does 59mpg.
    I guess living somewhere rural has it’s advantages with traffic.

Defender
    Free Member

@ Peter Proddy, ‘Honda NC700X 74mpg (that’s just the first fill, I’m hoping to get it up to around the 80mpg mark)’

My NC700X (DCT) has averaged 83 mpg so far, 79.9 being the worst and 85.8 being the best.
    I can truly say that I look forward to filling it up 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My NC700X (DCT) has averaged 83 mpg so far, 79.9 being the worst and 85.8 being the best.
    I can truly say that I look forward to filling it up

Sounds good! 🙂
    I think the DCT is meant to be (very) slightly better than the manual ‘box to be fair, as is the newer 750 engine, but looking at the graph on Fuelly I’ll be disappointed if I can’t hit high 70s at least.

I’ve got a bigger Puig Touring screen to go on it on order, there’s a possibility that could help too. Fitting a screen made a noticeable difference to my GT200, both in top speed and fuel consumption

I’m loving the bike too. It’s a totally new riding experience, for sure, but it makes me smile a bit and it blats around town very nicely and is very relaxing on the motorway. My last bike was doing 7000rpm at 70mph, the NC is doing exactly half that.

molgrips
    Free Member

Good to see the BMW 320d getting good figures, BMW seem to be one of the worst at cheating the standard tests so I have always been sceptical of the high figures for the 320d.

Defender
    Free Member

Yes, the economy is superb, the DCT is great, my commute to/from work includes the M25 😡 so can be slow at times, it really works so well in heavy traffic and the dual mode is a nice option to have too.
    I very much like the laid back relaxed attitude the bike gives, the low revving torquey engine is very different from the ‘Street Triple it replaced, a very good bike, but not quite me and my knees and elbows weren’t liking the riding position!
    I have a Givi screen, Acerbis hand guards and bigger foot for the side stand, this year it should gain a centre stand and some hard luggage.
    The 2014 ‘750 should be better, but I’m in no hurry to change, wouldn’t be worth the cost of changefor the very little I’d gain.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

This thread is making me jealous… 🙄
    This is my daily driver which I put about 300 miles a week on. 5.4l V8 pickup.
    My plaything is even worse, but it doesn’t get much use… 6.3l V8 pickup.

Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘What do you call good MPG?’ is closed to new replies.