Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)
  • What do you call good MPG?
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

25 is good for my e39 520i, wouldn’t mind but it’s not even like its particularly quick. 🙁

GaryLake
    Free Member

Our 2.0 Diesel MPV – Motorway trip trundling at 60mph = 58-60mpg, avg combined rural/urban being careful more like 43-45mpg, heavy foot combined more like 35-38mpg

1.6 petrol french warm hatch – motorway trundel = 49-52mpg, avg combined 43-45mpg, heavy foot combined 32-35mpg

I can make the french hatch go into single figures briefly if I go to limiter on a steep hill but I guess that’s doable in most cars.

number18
    Free Member

Overall avg 23mpg 2.5L petrol

mssansserif
    Free Member

35mpg average from my 335d.

So not great but I’m happy with it vs the performance. Sure I don’t do 155mph or 0-60 from every set of lights but that’s not all the power brings to the experience.

Live and let live not everyone has to drive as slow as possible to save fuel. Some people actual enjoy driving nice powerful cars and don’t just see it as transport from A to B

alpin
    Free Member

in my old Seat Ibiza 1.9D i used to get over 65mpg if i trundled everywhere at 60mph and just took it easy. that was calculating between filling up (full tank). actually quite relaxing just trundling along.

i remember the GF and i went up to Scotland from London for two weeks. we ragged that car along the glens and around the hills and i was still getting high 40/low 50 return. and that car was built in ´97.

modern cars are only just hitting that despite all the new electrical gubbins. why not

glenh
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    maxtorque – Member
    The long term trip on my car shows 36.7mpg after two years of driving it (reset when i got it, not reset since).
    Considering it’s a sub 6sec to 62mph and a 155mph limited estate car, that ain’t too bad i think.

Go on explain why, how often do you do 155mph? When do you do 0-62 in 6s? If you could half your fuel bill would you?

Even when you only care about cost, although those high numbers from diesels sound great they aren’t always the best option.
    I only get around 40mpg average (commute + a few longer journeys) from my petrol car, but the car cost at least £2K less than the equivalent diesel to buy. A diesel getting 55mpg would be about 3p a mile less at today’s prices, but that means it will take nearly 70000 miles to recoup the £2k. And the car won’t be as nice to drive in the meantime either.

falkirk-mark

I seem to get pretty much 10 miles for every litre I use and that is a C5 tourer mostly around town/edge of town. That is filling the tank not computer figures based on 600 mile fillups.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Anything around 40mpg average is very good. I have one car which will do that and better on motorway and one where mid/upper 20’s is possible if I take care, interestingly if I don’t it still returns low 20’s and I’m happy with that.

VR6 and R32 guys those must be some mods !

maccruiskeen

Goes like stink! so does the fuel though!

Does it actually burn it or you you pressurise it with petrol then let of off like a bottle rocket?

Junkyard
    Free Member

60 + ish for my 1.4 litre diesel but rarely over 2000 revs or 60 mph
    Mainly Mway though

nickewen
    Free Member

45 on a run and late 20’s around town. That’s a 6cyl petrol so I’m more than happy with that.

As already discussed so many ways to cut this. Extra cost of a diesel and annual mileage etc. Also, on a NA petrol there’s no turbos, DPF filter, EGR clog less easily etc. especially if running a car out of warranty and repair costs are a concern.

ji
    Free Member

I run at 17.2pence per mile (over 1 year). That is for a 4.3litre beast of a lexus, but running on lpg. Cost could be less if I didn’t occasionally have to fill it with lpg at the local garage which is 10p per litre more than the ones near work.

I do almost no motorway miles, and only 12 miles or so of dual carriageway on my commute, but over 50 miles I rarely drop below 60 – a couple of junctions, 2 sets of traffic lights, and a toll bridge.

In terms of costs of diesel v petrol (or indeed lpg) that assume syou are buying new. My car was £66k new (still have the receipt) – I paid well under 10% of that, and it came ready converted. In my mind that makes for comfortable and relatively cheap motoring.

Harry_the_Spider

41 in my 1.8 diesel S Max. I had hoped for a bit more TBH.

bainbrge

Never less than 63mpg in the winter, and 69mpg in the summer, logged over a period of 6 years now. Less town driving than most, mix of A roads and occasional long motorway journeys.

For one glorious summer it seemed to stick at 73mpg, but done nearly 100k miles now so probably less frugal than it was.

steviegil
    Free Member

We average 46mpg in our insignia estate diesel. I’m over the moon with this as I came from a mid 20’s petrol turbo, but i agree there has to be a balance of fun v’s economy.
    I would like to hear more about the R32 though.. 8)

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m always happy with our 330 which does mid 20’s around town and 30 and a bit on a longer run (motorway and fast country lanes).

However I’m permanently disappointed in my diesel Fiesta that just about scrapes 54 despite a claim of 67 and getting an easy life on the motorway sitting at around 70. Not only that but it sounds horrible and stinks when it’s started up.

I took my step uncle’s RS6 for a boon in the summer and that used super at an alarming rate. Although it was fun doing so!

People often bring up the the can’t drive at 155 mph argument but it’s not just about that the ability to pass slower cars safely is great as is the other stuff that comes with those kind if cars like the noise they make.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I get 50-55mpg from my Merc 250cdi, used mainly for motorway miles, and I’m fairly happy with that. My other half gets 29 mpg from her XC60 2.4D but is used mainly for urban, I was hoping for slighlty better.

My berlingo gets about 40 mpg I think.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Alpin. Emissions control and the need for speed

I had a 1.8d mk3 95 fiesta that would do 55mpg plus driving arbroath to aberdeen daily…. Did 120000miles with me and my dad and never missed a beat- had 200 k on the clock when we scrapped it due to corrosion. Loved that car. Only had 60bhp

My vans a 1.9d and only does 40mpg but it also carries alot more , has crumple zones , airbags and a dashboard…. – the gearstick doesnt just come through a hole in the floor …..

Im happy with anything over 40mpg tbh but then my 4x4s im happy enough around 20-25mpg as they are an occasional second car / winter snow car or for when we both needs cars in town for meetings and the like and when they are needed in winter for negotiating snow to the main road they do their job well.

chiefgrooveguru

My car does about 40mpg at best, averages more like 35mpg. It’s not slow but it’s not proper fast but it is capacious, was cheap and is reliable and we do pretty low mileage, maybe 5000 miles a year. Changing to a car that did 50mpg would save us £250/year but at what cost to depreciation or speed?

Are all these mpg figures from trip computers or petrol pump + odometer calculations? I’ve noticed a massive discrepancy between the hopeful computers and harsh reality…

mrhoppy

maxtorque – Member
    The long term trip on my car shows 36.7mpg after two years of driving it (reset when i got it, not reset since).
    Considering it’s a sub 6sec to 62mph and a 155mph limited estate car, that ain’t too bad i think.

What about your other one?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

2.0 diesel Berlingo. I’m happy if I achieve more than 10 miles per litre, so 45mpg. I would say I always do.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

My Kia Rio 1.4 diesel has averaged 53.7 mpg since ive owned it , and i now has just over 9000 on the clock , which im very happy with 😀

vondally
    Free Member

70 miles round trip A road and motorway then town 58 to 70 depending on road conditions
    1.4 tdi

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I average used to average 37 mpg in my 2.2 TDCi SMax and mid 40’s for a long run. It’s a bit less now I’ve got roof bars on it…maybe about 5 or so percent worse. But I don’t drive it particularly economically. The wife’s Fiat 500 1.4 petrol gets about mid 50’s, but has a tiny fuel tank so feels line you’re at together petrol station alot.

hot_fiat

In the Cinq or the Abarth 50 is easily achievable, but then so is 11 (Hexham – Penrith via Hartside in “making progress” mode). Generally the Abarth’ll average 37. The KTM does about 45 when touring. I’m pleased when the Yeti does 40.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Our diesel Bluemotion Golf has averaged 50mpg over the last 12k with 70% of the journeys being country lanes and not long. Long motorway journey doing 80mpg returns 53mpg while a long steady A road trip will hit 60mpg fiarly easily averaging about 50mph.
    XC90 on the other hand returns 31mpg 😐

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Currently getting 51mpg from a Focus 1.6 TDi Eco, around 90% motorway miles.

I had it up to 57mpg at one point but that was driving very carefully, I could possibly improve it but I constantly forget to use the stop/start thing.

maxtorque

mrhoppy

maxtorque
    What about your other one?[/quote]

er, less good…….. (currently on Gallons per mile 😉

andrewh
    Free Member

Got a 2004 Transit T300 camper van conversion. Averaged 39-40mpg over the last year and a half. Not particularly trying either, but I do very little town driving, I’m dead chuffed with that, not bad for a vehicle that size.
    Previous was terrible, Hyundai Trajet 2 litre petrol, 25mpg on a good day, saved loads on fuel, insurance and repairs since I got rid.
    Both odometer/pump calculations over a couple of tanks, no computer in either vehicle. I check it every now and again, can been a early sign of something needing checking/adjusting if goes down.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve just filled up my tank and it works out at 58.4 mpg, that’s the worst I’ve seen since I bought the car 17500 miles ago.

robdob
    Free Member

I’d trade my 50mpg diesel for a 30mpg petrol any day of the week if I could!

neilco
    Free Member

Low 30s from Mazda 6 petrol, which I guess is less than expected and thus disappointing, though admittedly I don’t drive nice but don’t really care as drive less than 10k miles pa.

lexinoo
    Free Member

bainbrge – Member

Never less than 63mpg in the winter, and 69mpg in the summer, logged over a period of 6 years now. Less town driving than most, mix of A roads and occasional long motorway journeys.

For one glorious summer it seemed to stick at 73mpg, but done nearly 100k miles now so probably less frugal than it was.

What car?

molgrips
    Free Member

To all those pissing a precious resource up the wall just for fun – thanks. No really. We didn’t need it for anything else, oh no.

falkirk-mark

Quite right molgrips I hope they have a clear conscience when their grandkids have no fossil fuels to use because people drove stupidly thirsty cars so they can get to 60 about 3 seconds faster than most others.

pictonroad

yep, 6mgp
    Highly modified R32

Really? On the strip?

My friend’s 600bhp 4motion was in the 20s

Octavia diesel miser spec gives 60mpg. Don’t think I’d take less than that now, before children and single incomes I drove a turbo rotary, maybe 14mpg.

gmex619
    Free Member

25-30 urban and 35-50 motorway. Not got the lightest foot either. 2.5 Jaguar 4wd x type

2.0 mondeo auto I had before it got under 30 on the motorway which I hated!

Atleast my fuels paid for..

Gribs

Quite right molgrips I hope they have a clear conscience when their grandkids have no fossil fuels to use because people drove stupidly thirsty cars so they can get to 60 about 3 seconds faster than most others.

Someone doing 15k a year in a diesel shit box will use far more fuel than I do in my 25mpg petrol. They’ll also release far more harmful pollutants. Btw breeding is about the worst thing you can do if you care about the environment.

falkirk-mark

So Gribs I would be better using my wifes 30 mpg vtec honda auto than my (diesel shitbox, 45 minimum mpg) to help conserve fossil fuels, tell me how that works then.

somafunk

25mpg if I drive normally, 33mpg if I stick to a max of 55mph and don’t take it above 2000rpm through the gears, sub 20mpg if I exploit the acceleration when it’s safe to do so but i mostly save it for track day fun.
    I’m not that fussed bout’ the mpg, the car is 30 yrs old and I’ve had it for 5yrs, guess it’s cost me around £5k + the £2k initial cost of the car so I figure as it will only (hopefully) go up in value if I keep it in good condition, I’m not really losing out with the poor mpg or so I tell myself .

If I could afford it I’d love a chipped Fabia vrs or a mk2 golf tdi conversion but that’s not gonna happen so ill stick wi my old mk2 16v.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘What do you call good MPG?’ is closed to new replies.