Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)
  • What do you call good MPG?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

See loads of threads where people say “Good” mpg, what do you mean??

For me good starts at 50 (I’m guessing about 15p/mile http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml), whats your number?

Drac

Car?

Van?

Motorbike?

Petrol or Diesel?

For me on a family hatch diesel car I’d say at 50 yes but if I was getting that low I’d be worried.

mcobie
    Free Member

Depends on the car…in my 4.2 S4 estate I’m pretty chuffed if I get 23mpg 😳

Something more sensible, then I’d say 45mpg.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Car?
    Van?
    Motorbike?
    Petrol or Diesel?

doesn’t matter, how much are you happy to spend per mile?

Smudger666

Yeah, skoda rapid 1.5 diesel – anywhere from 50-65 depending on how much of the journey is motorway/A9 and how much is urban/B road.

I get 12p a mile, which is just about 50mpg to break even, so anything better than 50 is ‘good’ for me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mcobie – Member
    Depends on the car…in my 4.2 S4 estate I’m pretty chuffed if I get 23mpg

thats the question though, why is 23 good because it’s x y or z?

willard

50+ in my Passat I guess. If I get 600 miles out of a tank I’m usually quite happy.

Northwind

Car does 50-55mpg most of the time, which I’m happy enough with, it’s not amazing but then it’s a big car with a decent engine. It can go higher if I’m careful or lower if I’m having fun, happy with that too. (ironically giving it an extra 30bhp has also improved its economy, though possibly worsened its emissions per litre)

stumpy01

In my current car anything below 55mpg is poor, 55-58 is pretty easily achievable and 58+ is achievable with care.

Unless my commuting habits dramatically change, I woulnd’t be happy with car that couldn’t easily achieve 55mpg.

mcobie
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

mcobie – Member
    Depends on the car…in my 4.2 S4 estate I’m pretty chuffed if I get 23mpg

thats the question though, why is 23 good because it’s x y or z?

It’s all relative I guess. I knew that car would be rubbish on fuel, but I wanted it anyway and it’s not as “bad” as I thought it would be which is where the “good” comes from.

As long as the enjoyment of driving it is more then the hurt of filling it up then all’s good 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

40+ for long journeys.
    but then I don’t have a car, but that’s what I’d aim for in a hire car and I have a bit of a lead foot and sit at 80-90 mph on the motorway as anything else feels like I’m going backwards.

pondo
    Free Member

Corsa’ll get within sniffing distance of 60mpg, if I’m careful. I call that quite good (if that’s one level above plain “good”?).

Rockhopper
    Free Member

My current car (Alfa 147 1.6 petrol) averages 40mpg and I’d be unhappy driving anything that does less than that. For a diesel I’d be expecting 45 to 50 mpg.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m pleased with above 55mpg, happy with 60-70mpg, delighted with over 70 and disappointed with below 50 in my Skoda Fabia tdi.

weeksy

For my day to day vehicle, 50ish. My Mondeo 2.0 diesel is on 48.9 over the last 20,000. I can live with that.

austen

I get about 35 in both cars, but they’re both high powered petrol motors so it’s my own fault.

My father in law has a V8 S4 as mcobie’s, accelerating uphill I’ve seen the computer dip into single figures!

porter_jamie

if my fuel costs are less per month than the council tax then i’m happy.
    van is 33/35 – 40 would be nice
    car is 22/30 – 40 would be amazing (i towed a caravan back from a race meeting for someone once and it was averaging 8mpg on the m11)
    bike is 50mpg and it doesnt matter at all, it could be 19 and i wouldn’t mind

Zedsdead
    Free Member

yep, 6mgp

Highly modified R32

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep, 6mgp

Highly modified R32
    and quick reckoning says 98p/mile!! Wow

Zedsdead
    Free Member

It was bought purely for fun and limited use. Goes like stink! so does the fuel though!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

and quick reckoning says 98p/mile!! Wow

Better value than a London bus then.

Gribs

It’s got to depend on power/performance/fuel use. For me even if a diesel shit box did 100mpg it wouldn’t be good as I wouldn’t want to drive it. 30mpg+ on a petrol producing more than 250bhp and 0-60 of around 6 seconds would be of interest though.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m lucky if I get 41mpg and I’m only in a tiny 1.6 Fiesta Zetec S 🙁 feels like it needs a 6th gear for motorway driving as the revs are quite high. Definitely going to look into a new car in the new year!

djglover
    Free Member

For those people quoting 50+, for one long motorway journey perhaps, but long term – no chance

I used to have a diesel octavia and whilst 600 from a tank was achievable, more realistic in day to day driving was 520, which is about 43 mpg.

My car will do 40mpg on a run now, but the long term average is 32mpg. Thats a 4p per mile premium to go from a 140bhp Diesel to a 320bhp petrol, that will get you to 60 in 4.5 seconds…if you ask me, thats a bloody bargain!

Northwind

I got the motorbike down to 14 at one point… That turned out to be the same point at which you can no longer do a full trackday at knockhill and still make it to the nearest petrol station afterwards 😳

schrickvr6
    Free Member

6? I had a very highly modified VR6 that was good for mid teens, saying that is would often drop to low single figures the way I used to drive.

Anyway, 240bhp and 400lb/ft Fabia vRS my overall is 50.4 but if I crawl at 60mph on the motorway I can get mid seventies.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Gribs – Member
    It’s got to depend on power/performance/fuel use. For me even if a diesel shit box did 100mpg it wouldn’t be good as I wouldn’t want to drive it. 30mpg+ on a petrol producing more than 250bhp and 0-60 of around 6 seconds would be of interest though.

Thats what I don’t get though, might just be me but why throw money away when most people just sit in traffic?
    0-60 could take 30 minutes on some of my commutes…

samuri
    Free Member

About 50mpg. I probably get less than that but that’s because I don’t drive with a light as foot as I could.

Most of the time though I get infinity to the gallon because I cycle to work every day and go shopping on my bike. It’s amazing how easy it is to make a bike your primary form of transport.

mudshark
    Free Member

Petrol 105bhp Roomster – can get around 50 mpg if I’m sensible but mostly around 45 and sometimes lower when I’m getting naughty with the speed.

stumpy01

djglover – Member
    For those people quoting 50+, for one long motorway journey perhaps, but long term – no chance

What if 90% of your journeys are done on dual carriageway/motorways…? Like mine.
    Although saying that, even on an a-road I’d be disappointed if I wasn’t getting around 55mpg if the journey is any decent distance.

Worst mpg I’ve seen from my car over a tank full was 46mpg when we went camping in Cornwall; the car was loaded with camping gear, 2 bikes on the roof and I wasn’t hanging around. Brim to brim calcs too, not relying on the computer jobby.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

djglover – Member

the octavia would do 48 overall, much more on long motorways but the average was never that much less than that. I was annoyed when it was lower that 50 as it was a waste of money.
    The transit used to be 32ish which I conceded as acceptable due to providing free accommodation when we went away.
    The current pig is 25-28 which is really appalling even though fuel is much cheaper in Oz it still hurts.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Cars nowadays you really want 50+

Vans should really be 40+ unladen (I get 37 in a 13 plate VW T5 and drive like a **** everywhere, should really get it remapped)

Motorbikes…who gives a shit, the fun you have far outweighs any fuel cost.

maxtorque

The long term trip on my car shows 36.7mpg after two years of driving it (reset when i got it, not reset since).

Considering it’s a sub 6sec to 62mph and a 155mph limited estate car, that ain’t too bad i think.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

maxtorque – Member
    The long term trip on my car shows 36.7mpg after two years of driving it (reset when i got it, not reset since).

Considering it’s a sub 6sec to 62mph and a 155mph limited estate car, that ain’t too bad i think.
    Go on explain why, how often do you do 155mph? When do you do 0-62 in 6s? If you could half your fuel bill would you?

paulevans
    Free Member

Seem to be averaging c.28mpg from my VW Scirocco R (albeit with a very lite right foot)!

VW California 180bhp seems to be doing low 30’s mpg which i think is reasonable considering the weight of the thing!

samuri
    Free Member

The hybrid pool cars we have at work normally average about 60mpg on mixed journeys, go over 100mpg on the motorway and even if I boot it constantly, it seems to struggle to get under 40mpg. All indicated, obviously.

of course, they’re appallingly slow.

Mister-P
    Free Member

If the cost of driving to work and back is less than the cost of getting the train then I am happy. Who wants to sit in a carriage full of other people with their germs, earphones spitting tinny noise out, terrible phone ring tones, general ignorance towards other human beings and body odour? So I am happy with my 55ish mpg thanks.

legend
    Free Member

I’m happy getting 36-38mpg in the Clio. Over 40 can be done quite easily, but feels like driving Miss Daisy

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

yep, 6mgp

Highly modified R32

Surely that depends on how its driven?

I tracked a Civic Type-R and got through 50 litres in 75 miles (3 x 20 minute sessions) which works out to be about 7mpg yet my current car has the best part of 600bhp and will get 30ish mpg on a motorway cruise.

alibongo001

I have a 320d BMW that has done 49mpg for its first 27k miles since Jun 12 – I think this is pretty good

I am also selling a Porsche 996 turbo that can approach 30 on a run and regularly get 25 mpg – I think this is amazing for a 420bhp car!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘What do you call good MPG?’ is closed to new replies.