Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What do people use Ipads for?
  • winston
    Free Member

wife has hinted she would like an ipad for xmas.
    I can’t see the point of them and she already has a iphone5 – what do people use them for? I’m worried it will just end up as a £400 white elephant

lucien

Pron mainly, and ipad mini easier on the wrist than standard ipad

Jamie
    Free Member

Imagine an iPhone, but bigger.

DrJ

Hmm … surfing, watching catch-up TV in bed, reading books w Kindle, online magazines, watching iTunes store movies, writing and taking notes on the move, navigating w Google maps, showing people photos, listening to music, drawing w Brushes app, probly other stuff too.

DezB
    Free Member

Pron mainly

Great for zooming in 😀

nickdavies
    Free Member

Pron mainly

Just upgraded my mini to the retina version. 😯

Joking aside, they’re dead useful. Never touch my phone at home now really or the laptop, just use the pad.

winston
    Free Member

I’m not sure £400 on a **** mag is justified

Are they so much better than a cheapo Samsung tablet (which we already have and don’t use)?

northernmatt

Surfing STW, looking at Audis/Orange Fives/Coffee Machines/Woodburners/Beard Care*

*delete as appropriate

(Written on iPad)

Jamie
    Free Member

Are they so much better than a cheapo Samsung tablet (which we already have and don’t use)?

No. They’re rubbish. Don’t get one.

stoddys
    Free Member

Everything.
    Me and the wife have one each,
    Surfing, cooking sewing, newspaper,catch up tv, just some of the things the better half uses hers for.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wipe clean screen.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I’ve got a 6 and an I pad… No idea where in my house the I pad is its been that long since I’ve bothered with it.
    It’s getting old so the soft wear cannot be update to the same as my 6 so the differences are annoying. Don’t bother

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

my children use them (all the kids in their school get one) to drive me insane that they are never ever out of their hands.

siwhite
    Free Member

Loads.

Only use the macbook for stuff that the iPad won’t easily do – Sketchup and detailed photo editing.

Beware when watching *ahem* videos online – an iPad won’t play flash content, which some insalubrious sites employ.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Everything I used to do on smartphone except make calls, take photos- although the latter is possible,it’s not as practical.
    Easier to see, read etc. better battery life. Easier than going up into the office and powering on a pc/laptop.

Only Downside so far is not always easy to copy image URLs

CountZero

I use mine for everything, pretty much. The computer is my media streaming, storage and back-up device, my phone is my away from the house, all-day device, (satnav, photography, reading, web stuff, streaming radio, phone…), and the pad is what gets used in place of the phone in the evenings, for all the web stuff, remote for controlling music playback, editing photos, reading…
    Each one has its place at different times, and for different purposes, it’s so much easier to read the screen on the pad on sites like this, for example, and for properly looking at photos for cropping purposes or colour correction.
    I could use the phone, but even with the big screen, I have to turn it to landscape to easily read the text on here, so I stick with the pad.
    The screen is closer to a proper book for reading ebooks, too.
    I honestly would be lost without it, although the IP 6+ would be a good substitute for a while, I still prefer the bigger screen for general use.
    I can’t understand how someone could happily use a phone in preference to a pad for general web use and reading.

tomkerton
    Free Member

The only thing I need my laptop for now is its USB hole to download the Garmin after riding and charging USB bike lights. Otherwise I find ipad better for everything. Can’t say if it’s so much better than a samsung tablet cos ive never used one.

Cougar

Does it matter? You can get her what she wants for Christmas, or you could get her something else if you’d prefer. What she’d use it for if anything is her concern, surely. Do you vet all your gifts to her for suitability?

(This is advice I’m really bad at following myself, incidentally; I do it all the time.)

donks
    Free Member

I never use ours any more…. Basically because you can’t watch show box or use local cast on them. Android all the way for me.

winston
    Free Member

donks, I went from apple to android (after using macs for years and way before they started being sold on the high street) but I’m not sure any of this stuff is any use these days as the updates and built in obsolescence is now taking the piss

Cougar is probably nearest the bull on this

I’m a big Android fanboi and Apple hater (although my Apple experience only extends to iPod’s and iPhones).

Just replaced my Galaxy Note 2, with a Note 4 – 5.7″ Amoled screen will just about do me for my super portable device. Slightly less portable, but still manageable, I have a MS Surface for laptop/tablet duties and it does both well

convert

Slight hijack – does anyone have an ipad as their main ‘computer’ at home? My mother needs to replace a geriatric 12yr old desktop in the new year – I had her down for a laptop but she’s keen on an ipad instead. She’ll just use it for typical old lady stuff – email, a bit of internet shopping, looking at photos and writing (& printing) the very occasional letter. I like my ipad but would still want a laptop too and I think storage could be a problem (cloud storage is out as she has super slow 150kbs internet). Do NAS play nicely (i.e. old lady easy) with tablets?

demonracer

My grandma uses an ipad as her main computer, her desktop has been unused for the last year or so. My grandad has even taken to using it to keep up to date with the news and send emails (I had never seen him use the desktop) both are in their early 80s, I’d say they are pretty good for OAP duties.

LMT
    Free Member

I use mine for all sorts of stuff, control the TiVo box, recording etc.. and its loads easier to delete stuff from the TiVo from the ipad compared to doing it with the remote. Control the heating at home, and music round the house which speakers etc…

Play loads of simpsons tapped out its better on the ipad, then use keynotes for work stuff. Basically I use it a lot, the above point I don’t have a normal computer, OH has a laptop but rarely use it instead of the ipad.

seadog101

Get up in the morning. Check messages, and quick news surfing while the kettle boils, for the tea making thereof.

Then it doubles as a very handy tea tray to take the brews upstairs to the slumbering Mrs Seadog.

I know, the underbutler should do this, but he’s a bit clumsy around the new fangled technology (kettle).

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I use mine for Korg Gadget, watching vids, browsing the web, etc.

Actions is pretty handy also, allowing for me to set up shortcuts on the iPad to trigger stuff on the computer.

j4mie
    Free Member

I bought a near top of the range laptop a few months ago as my old one had died, I must have only used it about a dozen times for video editing. Everything else at home I use the iPad for, brilliant device.

bonchance
    Free Member

upgrades from expired windoze pc’s?

Sufficiently advanced tech is indistinguishable from magic (for 3 weeks). Then you may conclude it’s a moderately restricting lens.

It sits next to my breadmaker.

JCL
    Free Member

I have the Fleshlight mount for mine. Fantastic product.

rumple
    Free Member

bought an ipad mini 2 and its awesome, can pick up imessages as well

bencooper
    Free Member

I use mine for most business stuff – accounts, email, designing parts, updating the website, keeping track of notes and design ideas, stuff like that.

creamegg
    Free Member

My ipad has replaced the laptop for everything other than autocad, photoshop and video editing.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Since my PC packed in I use an iPad for all the things I used to do and then some.

Photo editing
    Painting
    Illustration
    Browsing/online purchases
    Streaming content (films etc)
    Basic video exiting
    Music-making
    Portable reference photo album for studio painting
    Colour-matching
    Gaming
    Study

Also use it tethered to phone so I can work, study, email etc anywhere I have a half-decent network signal.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Use mine all the time. In the two years I’ve owned it, it’s certainly earned its money. It’s basically replaced my laptop and desktop but generally it’s the centre of my entertainment universe. I recently purchased Apple TV so now use my ipad to watch netflix, youtube, listen to my music, view photos all on my TV.

If something happened to my current iPad (god forbid!) i’d be straight down the Apple store to get a new one.

noltae
    Free Member

I prefer using my smartphone – whilst chilling on couch – and at home relaxing generally – just fits in hands better – Tablets are relatively heavy and only work optimally when your sat upright with device on your lap or on a table – real life chilling is all about sprawling in a comfy sofa – for me anyways – thus the phone is better – convergence is good.. Do you really need to sit there with your smartphone tablet and smart TV ? !!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nexus 7 for me as I can use not only a blue tooth keyboard but also a Mouse. Replaced my laptop/. I had an iPad as well but passed that on.
    So Mac Mini and an Android phone and tablet works for me. Only have iOS on an iPod touch.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

To avoid having to talk to each other…..

CountZero

Nexus 7 for me as I can use not only a blue tooth keyboard but also a Mouse. Replaced my laptop/. I had an iPad as well but passed that on.

That’s hardly unique, you’ve always been able to do that with an iPad, and if you’ve already got a Mac with BT keyboard then you’ve already got a keyboard for the iPad.
    I can’t be arsed to use mine, it’s easier to use the pads own keyboard.

bigjim

I have the Fleshlight mount for mine. Fantastic product.

😯

8)

I hope you didn’t type that ‘hands free’

sharkbait
    Free Member

Purely IME:
    Chromebook > iPhone > iPad

I do a lot of stuff online (inc email/accounting/banking) and since being given a Chromebook 12 months ago I’ve not touched the iPad.

For music/ATV/XBMC control I use my phone and Pebble watch.

Obviously YMMV but I’m done with tablets (the rest of my family would disagree but 3/4 of them are under 15yo).

If you’re partner/wife wants one then get her one – whatever else you get will be wrong (going on my experience again!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What do people use Ipads for?’ is closed to new replies.