Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What do people think of XT brakes?
  • Jiffy

I recently got a new bike as an insurance replacement that came equipped with Shimano M775 XT brakes – the ones with servo wave levers and reach adjustment. They've been ok for the past couple of months but when I was in Afan this weekend performance was completely underwhelming.

Obviously, conditions were terrible – cold and very wet – but I don't remember any brakes that I've used before, (Magura Louise, Hayes Nine's), suffering such a drop in performance.

Just wondered what other users experience of XT brakes was – I suppose I'm pretty surprised that a Shimano product doesn't work a little more impressively.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

swap the pads for sintered ones!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

love mine – pads last ages

Northwind

I like mine too, they make a bit of noise and I did have a sticky caliper problem after maybe a thousand miles but they've been good performers and generally reliable. I did manage to get some air into one brake- left a bubble in the reservoir I think- but that can happen to any brake.

Reluctant
    Free Member

9.5 out of 10 for mine, been on the bike since april 08. Using Ashima SOS pads and almost completely happy.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

brilliant brakes, wish i had a set, much better then my hayes… saving for them now….

Jiffy

OK, thanks guys – you're making me think that it must be something in my set-up and I need to persevere with them.

Sure do miss the magura's though….

epicyclo

cullen-bay – Member
    brilliant brakes, wish i had a set, much better then my hayes…

Hayes? What did Neil say to that?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

mine have been to the Alps twice and have been superb.
    Occasionally I feel the need to push the pistons out a bit and wipe them clean so they move freely but that's it.

dickie
    Free Member

Tried most, got XT on three bikes – there the best.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

i was unsure about buying them but i've tried hope, magura, avid and they are best brakes ive had even though they look crap

the modulation is they key for as i'm not very heavy but lever feel, bite point, power, they just feel spot on

i was a magura fan until the set of louise bat ones kept fading really bad

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Really happy with mine. If i could afford it i would get a second set for my second bike.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Obviously, conditions were terrible – cold and very wet – but I don't remember any brakes that I've used before, (Magura Louise, Hayes Nine's), suffering such a drop in performance

XTs are VERY good brakes. I had some as does Mrs PP and they are a doddle to set up, bleed and great in use.
    I found the best pads were Superstar sintered ones. Sod paying £20 for Shimano, the Superstars are better anyway, IMO

However….

I've also got 2 sets of Louises. And they are better. No two ways about it. LOTS more power, better modulation just as easy to set up.

I think you're suffering from using a very good brake after using very, VERY good brakes, if that makes any sense? 🙂

trailmoggy
    Free Member

i was abig fan of maguras i had a couple of sets of louise FR's i swore by them, but when i went to the BAT version i felt really bad fade on long descents

Garry_Lager

I like them, maybe the best I've used. I've always felt they're not as powerful as some others, but modulate really well. Hard to know if this is really the case – different rotors, set-ups etc, but they feel like they give you very nuanced, controllable breaking compared to some others. I have an old Hayes nine on my big bike that's like an on-off switch – seriously powerful though.

Never had much luck with brake pad longevity – it's OK but I still go through them at a fair rate.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Garry_Lager – Member
    Never had much luck with brake pad longevity – it's OK but I still go through them at a fair rate.

Try the superstar sintered ones. I found mine to hard for the summer but they show no signs of wear in teh wet wether yet (including a wet afan ride and a very wet test vally tour).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

i was abig fan of maguras i had a couple of sets of louise FR's i swore by them, but when i went to the BAT version i felt really bad fade on long descents

Louise FRs are the best brake I've ever tried. And I've tried quite a few. Simply superb. Mine are over 3 years old now, I've recently serviced them and they are like new again. I'll keep them until they fall apart, I'm not letting go of them. 🙂

trailmoggy
    Free Member

too be honest my XT feel very much like my old magura louise FR's

i also ran a set on both my hardtail and full susser for a couple of years and would definatly give them a go again

pinches
    Free Member

best brakes i've ever used tbh. i'd like XTR calipers though 😉

trailmoggy
    Free Member

i think the calipers look fine its the lever end i think looks bad

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What do people think of XT brakes?’ is closed to new replies.