Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What do people think of chevin cycles
  • trekroadrider
    Free Member

I am looking for a new bike and I was wondering what chevin cycles is like to buy from

john_drummer
    Free Member

I like ’em

other bike shops are available

smudge
    Free Member

Aso have a peep at Airevalley cycles as theyve just moved and may have some deals on.

Oggles
    Free Member

Good. Very helpful blokes in there. Used to stop in for gels, small bits, and a browse of course on the ride to Stainburn from Headingley.

They sized me up for a road bike, let me test ride a few sizes round the Otley crit route, flipped their stems around etc. Unfortunately I couldn’t then buy from them as Trek had run out of my size in the model I wanted/could afford 😐 Best service of any of the bike shops in Leeds area 🙂

trekroadrider
    Free Member

Cool may call down and have a look

ton

i like em
    bought bikes off them 3 times.
    always helpfull.

tazzymtb

always been top chaps when I’ve visited them.

jimbobm
    Free Member

Popped in for a meter of outer gear cable, muppet eventually acknowledged me after chatting with muppet number two who also worked there, he then went and got cable but after 15mins of waiting for him to come back with it he then tried to charge me £11.50 for it and then got offensive with me when i asked him if he was joking!

I would never go back again!

Cant reccomend crosstrax in adel and rodley enough tho. Allways seem to know what you need and allways up for a good chat.

69er
    Free Member

I like the Chevin guys. Only ever dealt with them at their tradestand at races but they do customer service IME.

carlosg
    Free Member

jimbobm +1 , I never liked the atmosphere in Chevin cycles the staff always seemed very aloof. Stif were always the samme too.

Had positive experiences at Crosstrax too.

pacemaker
    Free Member

Used to be great when Rick the owner was there,(i have had 4 bikes from there) but he isnt in much now and the rest of the staff seem very up there own arses.

Crosstrax have always seemed good when i have got small bits, never got a bike from them though

Spamf
    Free Member

Went to them to buy my first bike in over 20 years. They sold me the wrong size (too big) and were just keen to get a sale.
    Also, when hydraulic brake on same bike sprang a leak, I asked whether just to bring the brake in. They said no, bring the whole bike, then when I got there they tried to charge me £5 for removing it!!

I don’t shop there anymore.

Drive a few extra miles to Ilkley and go to JD Cycles. much more helpful, friendly, knowledgeable.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Used to be a fantastic shop many years ago when in the old shop however, not long after they moved to the new shop prices went up and the staff got arrogant.

I havent used them for years all though local to me as they had never been competitive for repairs etc.

Recently my Bontrager hubs seized on the day I wanted to go riding. Used to Shimano hubs I didnt have a clue with the Botrager hubs, they said I could bring it in and they would show me how to change the cartridge bearings.

One hour later and I had a wheel working again. However it did cost me £30, I didnt realise 2 hub bearings would be so bloody expensive on a cheap wheel!

The staff were great, the mechanics and sales staff.

Still not sure I would buy a bike from them mind you. Over the years they have changed the brands of bike alot. To me it shows no commitment to what they think is a good product.

FOr repairs and general nice staff I still think JD Cycles in Ilkley is best.

fubar
    Free Member

Aso have a peep at Airevalley cycles as theyve just moved and may have some deals on.

Agree they are worth a look if you are in the area as they have been decent with me in the past.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Over the years they have changed the brands of bike alot

possibly if you’ve been shopping there a very long time.
    I’ve been going there 10 years & on the MTB side they’ve had Giant, Gary Fisher, Whyte, Marin & Cannondale.
    Recently I haven’t noticed Giant, although that doesn’t mean they don’t still sell them; other than that, they now also sell Trek. Bought two bikes from there over the years & got the right size bike both times.

There’s a fair bit of competition in the area so all shops need to be on their toes.

I can also vouch for JDs, All Terrain, Crosstrax & Aire Valley, although I haven’t been in the latter since they moved.

For some reason Stif have moved out into the sticks

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

For some reason Stif have moved out into the sticks

Right on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales.

Not that I’d shop there, they were crap when they in Leeds anyway.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Stif is a hateful place – not interested in creating loyal customers, just want to sell expensive bikes.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve used all the above over the years and found all the staff equally brilliant and/or poor. Some staff are good, some poor, some days the staff can’t help enough, other occasions everyone seem to prefer to be playing on the computer or sorting out a delivery, rather than attending to customers. Even the good staff will have their off days I expect. Chevin are equally as good/bad as the others on the day IME. I’ve used stif most recently and had had some average shopping experiences at the old shop and the new shop. However, I had a really nice long chat about general stuff with one of them a few months ago after a small purchase, so I think it’s unfair to say they are only interested in the big sales, they are just like the others, good/bad in equal measure depending on who you get and when you get them. 🙂

twohats
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion

Stif is a hateful place – not interested in creating loyal customers, just want to sell expensive bikes.

Still bearing the years old grudge over a cardboard box then!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That and the various other times I ever went in ( I worked opposite). And yes, I HAD even bought a bike from them previously. They just never wanted to know apart from the time I spunked £1k on an Orange Evo II

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What do people think of chevin cycles’ is closed to new replies.