Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • What do people think about….. 35mm diameter bars and stems?
  • Twiggy
    Free Member

Anyone using the new 35mm stuff from Easton? Is it overkill for AM? Is there a noticeable difference in stiffness and/or comfort? Do people think it’s going to become the new standard?

Looking to go wider and shorter on my AM bike and wondering whether to plump for the Easton or wait and see who else adopts the idea.

Thoughts?

cynic-al
    Free Member

In theory it should be a similar stiffness jump as 25.4 -> 31.8.

Whether it will become a std is anyone’s guess.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

are they claiming more stiffness or just the same stiffness for less weight?

I’m still waiting to find the problem with my super noodling and floppy 25.4 bars but weight saving I can understand…

Twiggy
    Free Member

Stiffer, stronger and lighter is the deal I think. That all sounds great but I’m running a Fox 36 up front and wondering if it might actually be a bit too stiff.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Deda been doing in on road bikes since last year. I doubt 31.8 stuff will suddenly dry up if thats what youre worried about, and I haven’t been riding my 31.8 havens and worrying about them being too noodly…

almightydutch
    Free Member

If my MX bike is ok with 31.8 then i’m sure my MTB will be ok.

aracer
    Free Member

I think it’s an excellent idea. How else will they sell people new stuff?

andyl
    Free Member

It makes perfect sense as bars width increases.

I don’t think it will make the bars much/any stiffer than shorter 31.8mm bars but just help keep the stiffness and allow greater strength or less weight than using a 31.8mm centre for the given width.

Edric64
    Free Member

35mm bars, could put them on 650b wheeled bike to be really niche

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

If my MX bike is ok with 31.8 then i’m sure my MTB will be ok.

The thing is, your mx bars are 3-4 the wall thickness of an mtb handlebar.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Meh….. I’ll wait for 38mm.

cookeaa

TBH I’d prefer it if they worked their way up to it 33.6 as an intermediate size then on to 35 maybe..

Not sure if I like these sort of round numbers either…
    metric parts? on bicycles? it’ll never work!

highclimber
    Free Member

I have 700mm 25.4 bars and they are plenty stiff enough. anything thicker is overkill IMO

alpin
    Free Member

stiff, light and strong….. Syntace.

as above my bars are 25.4mm, 740mm wide and stiff as a stiff thing according to the anal german magazine tests.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TBH I’d prefer it if they worked their way up to it 33.6 as an intermediate size then on to 35 maybe

But surely it’s better to sell you the 35mm bar now, then in 3 years time tell you it’s too stiff and that the 33.6 is the ideal compromise?

FWIW I’m sure there were 22.2mm bars that were stiff enough, then 25.4 then 31.8, but (IMO) each felt better when you actually compared them.

dans160
    Free Member

Mine are great. But what do I know, I ride intenses and they are built on the piss according to the know it all muppets that live here. They are light, strong (I hope) and stiff and look pretty snazzy to boot.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cookeaa, don’t worry, I reckon they’re 34.9 really.

rs
    Free Member

so if these are bigger and lighter, presumably wall thickness is reduced and therefore more likely to be damaged in a crash.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Good point Onzadog.

1″ (25.4), 1 1/4″ (31.8), 1 3/8″ (34.9)

I bet the only reason they missed out 1 1/8″ for handlebars was so some fudd can’t put the stem on the wrong way round. That would be ace, a 60mm stem with 5 deg offset to the right! 🙂

legspin
    Free Member

I bet the only reason they missed out 1 1/8″ for handlebars was so some fudd can’t put the stem on the wrong way round. That would be ace, a 60mm stem with 5 deg offset to the right!

My new favourite post, thank you you proper made me chuckle.

ahwiles
    Free Member

What do people think about….. 35mm diameter bars and stems?

i’ve thought about it, and i’m all ‘meh’.

bigyinn
    Free Member

meh +1

sam_underhill

I assume it’s stiffer, until they sell you the carbon version which flexes to get rid of trail buzz!

cookeaa

I bet the only reason they missed out 1 1/8″ for handlebars was so some fudd can’t put the stem on the wrong way round. That would be ace, a 60mm stem with 5 deg offset to the right!

Nope I think Tioga actually had a crack at flogging just such a product…

traildog
    Free Member

Do you feel you want 800mm bars, rather than a 35mm stem? Surely that’s the point.

DezB
    Free Member

presumably wall thickness is reduced and therefore more likely to be damaged in a crash.

They say:

Also:
    By this point most performance downhillers understand the virtues of wide handlebars (increased stability, more control and less fatigue). But they often trade strength and stiffness for the increase in width.

Did you notice the 6th word in that paragraph. If you’re one of those, get em. If not, what’s the point?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Did you notice the 6th word in that paragraph. If you’re one of those, get em. If not, what’s the point?

So you never ride downhill, you get the chairlift down after climbing up?

Or is it possible that loads of people these days are happiest riding bikes a little to heavy/slack/bobby to go uphill at XC race pace, with the trade off they can ride down at near DHbike pace?

I know I do.

Would I buy them, yes, if Nukeproof (other budget bar brands are available) made a bar/stem and I was buying new then I would. Why not?

martymac

@v8 shin
    nail=head.
    how many times have we seen vertical bar ends pointing up, with vertical brake levers pointing down.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[quoteI bet the only reason they missed out 1 1/8″ for handlebars was so some fudd can’t put the stem on the wrong way round. That would be ace, a 60mm stem with 5 deg offset to the right! [/quote]

Yea, but it would look awesome on a lefty!

DezB
    Free Member

So you never ride downhill

Riding downhill doesn’t make you a downhiller.

(A wannabe maybe, but I personally gave up on that idea in about 1995 😉 )

brakes
    Free Member

they’ll be bringing out 9 speed cassettes next…

julianwilson
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member

Nope I think Tioga actually had a crack at flogging just such a product…

Indeed they did. The “Cube” stem iirc. Somewhere in a box I have a Scott branded 1 1/8″ handlebar too.

So that’s five handlebar “standards” in how many years? 👿

cookeaa

Interesting; I have a DH bike it has 750mm wide, 15mm rise bars the clamp diameter is…. 25.4mm!
    It has not exploded or killed me yet… I’m not really aware of Many others that have failed either…

All I would take from that headline is that the yield point for a 35mm dia WonderBar is 21% higher than the next best performing (31.8 or 25.4?) Bar on a test obviously intended to exceed the products performance envelope… So what?

The thing is I don’t really find I’m taking Bars made to “Old” standards past their yield point well… Ever… I doubt I’m getting that far into their elastic range TBH…

So why do I actually need a “21% stronger” handlebar? it’s not like the existing kit lacks a suffcient factor of safety for the task as it stands.

Is the suggestion that I’d basically need to be trying 21% harder to smash my own teeth out? I’ll pass thanks…

justatheory
    Free Member

What do people think about….. 35mm diameter bars and stems?

That in a few years they will be superceded by 37mm bars and stems, with similar claims of pure amazingness in comparison to the previous standard…

PrinceJohn

Meh….. I’ll wait for 38mm.

Meh….. I’m waiting for 50mm…

crotchrocket
    Free Member

why wait?? just get them drawn and CNC’d!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Surely the logical conclusion is some sort of spherical arrangement with cutouts that you hold onto? Probably be able to have plenty of choices of where to put your hands as well…

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘What do people think about….. 35mm diameter bars and stems?’ is closed to new replies.