Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What do people do with old TVs that still work?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I’m talking non-digital CRTs

They could be perfectly good for someone with a digibox and/or DVD player who doesn’t mind a bulky box

I have 3 that I don’t need – do they just end up in landfill? Seems a waste as well as not very green

GrahamS

Charity?

British Heart Foundation take electrical items at some stores.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Take ’em to the local tip Waste Transfer Station and they will be recycled. Literally 100’s at my local place waiting to go. Tried shifting a few of mine on Freecycle and couldn’t even give them away there…….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gonefishin
    Free Member

Freecycle. I got rid of one about three years ago that way. It took all of about 20 mins and I was inundated with requests for days later. A charity shop is another option.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

freecycle or gumtree? Some charity shops will take them but most don’t like taking electrical goods.
    There are bound to be loads more people like me that just can’t be bothered with fancy new TV’s can quite happy with ones from the past especially if they cost nothing or next to nothing!

camo16
    Free Member

A TV that works – old-fashioned or not – has surely got to be worth something, no?

We have the old kind, because (1) I’m tight and (2) our six-year-old is a ball of chaos and chucks himself about our living room like an Atherton. Not even he can whopple it over. Safety first, I always say!

Harry_the_Spider

I gave mine away to relatives.

The best TV giveaway that I saw was at Stan’s Barbers Shop in Prestwich. They had a crappy old B/W set and a customer walked in and handed over a much better one.

Does your barber have a crap tele?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Make it into a novelty fish tank?

kimbers

freecycle for me

RustySpanner

Still using mine.

Might have to get a freeview box later this month when Calderdale bursts forth into the 1990’s and goes digital.

We’re getting Channel 5 you know.

GrahamS

Might have to get a freeview box later this month when Calderdale bursts forth into the 1990’s.

You don’t even have Freeview??? 😯

stumpy01

Freecycle, eBay?

Heavens above, we are still using a retro Sony CRT 32″ widescreen TV with one of those new fangled freeview recorder boxes.

RustySpanner

Nope.

BBC 1 & 2, ITV & Channel 4, but that’s a bit ‘snowy’.

More interested in getting DAB to be honest, love listening to Radio 4 Extra when I get the chance.

TiRed

My Sony 28″ is doing sterling service at my parents providing grandchild supervision duties in the corner of a sitting room. The integral glass front cover keeps out little fingers nicely. Running Wii, DVD, Video and a Sony Freeview box.

The picture is still outstanding, 10 years on.

konabunny
    Free Member

People leave them in the rubbish room of our block to be used by me.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Where in Calderdale are you Rusty? In Elland we never used to be able to get Ch5 but I put that down to Elland being about 50 years behind the rest of the civilised world. Get all normal telly and all freeview channels in Halifax but we are at the top of a hill.

In response to the OP, we watch ours. Its great.

(we are planning on getting an tinterweb enabled flat screen HD jobbie thing at some point in the near future).

GrahamS

Nope.
    BBC 1 & 2, ITV & Channel 4, but that’s a bit ‘snowy’.

But but but… you could pick up a new freeview box for £14.
    Why would you not?
    Or are you just in some obscure area that can’t get it?

More interested in getting DAB to be honest, love listening to Radio 4 Extra when I get the chance.

You realise that freeview would give you DAB, including 4 Extra, through your telly?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks all – I just have too many TVs and there’s little worth watching anyhow – so just going to keep the best one and ditch the rest – tried charity shops and they won’t take them. Friends and relatives not interested and eBay is a faff. Will try freecycle next

jonahtonto
    Free Member

im supposed to be writing an assignment right now on electrical waste, it would appear that when they get put for recycling they generally just get sent to the developing world and dumped on them. not good.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_9483000/9483148.stm
    – this course is making me depressed

GrahamS

tried charity shops and they won’t take them

British Heart Foundation

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You realise that freeview would give you DAB, including 4 Extra, through your telly?

no – it is better than DAB I think you will find – better bitrates for a start on most things.

RustySpanner

But but but… you could pick up a new freeview box for £14.
    Why would you not?
    Or are you just in some obscure area that can’t get it?

Where in Calderdale are you Rusty?

Todmorden.
    We’re getting Freeview/DAB tomorrow.
    It’s very exciting.

Seem to remember a certain bike designer, who lives not a mile from me, posting a couple of years ago and wondering why his shiny new Freeview boxes didn’t work. 😀

Yes, but I can’t take the telly into the bathroom to listen to ‘The Archers’ when I’m having a bath.

GrahamS

Didn’t realise you needed “alone time” with The Archers.

Emma Grundy or Fallon? 😉

RustySpanner

Ooooooh, Fallon every time. 😀

Although I do have a soft spot for the delightful Kirsty:

And Zofia’s accent is very pleasant to wake up to on a Sunday morning.

GrahamS

?

Harry_the_Spider

man
    in
    a
    frock

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Todmorden.

Ah. That explains it then. Elland = 50 years behind the rest of the civilised world. Todmorden = not even close to joining the civilised world 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

chuck em off the top floor of a multi story car park?

RustySpanner

Who, Fallon?
    You’ve not heard her voice have you?

It makes me come over all unnecessary, honestly it does.

Have a listen, you know you want to.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Free-cycled mine. Some students turned up and planned taking it home on a bus, it was a massive heavy thing. good luck to them.

stumpyjon

Todmorden – ha even Bacup has free view (although as it’s a repeater signal it’s a little limited although you do still get Gay Rabbit, or so I’m told). Luckily we live on a hill above Bacup and can just about see the winter hill transmitter so we can get Dave Deja Vue as well……

hels
    Free Member

In my case – set it up on a table in the front room and watch it. Its retro chic, honest.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks for the BHF tip Graham

konabunny
    Free Member

chuck em off the top floor of a multi story car park?

Do they have multistorey car parks in Todmorden? I imagine it as being entirely constructed from drystane.

cb

I put an old CRT in the skip at the council dump. It was on the pub wall within a week*

* Yes it is a crap pub.

GrahamS

If you just leave it outside your house with a note saying “FREE – Help Yourself” then no one will touch it.

But if you change the note to read “FOR SALE: £100 ono. enquire within” then it’ll be gone within an hour.

😀

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Stack em up high and wide, switch them all on, relax in a leather chair stroking a white cat, whilst watching the tv’s and laugh wildly . . .

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

The other thing to try is if you live somewhere that has an art college near by, I bet there will be a student that will be looking for TV’s for an art project…Bit of an odd one and possibly not that helpful if you live no where near an art college but worth a try.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I couldn’t get CH5 in Bingley until I got a new telly with built in freeview. I thought Dave Ja View didn’t exist anymore? It’s been ‘closed’ on my Freeview for a few weeks now, do I need to retune or something?.

Charity shops have to have an electrical safety certificate for every electrical item they sell.
    I think the going rate is £15 a time, so unless they’ve got a volunteer qualified electrician doing it for free, it’s not economical for them to sell most electrical goods.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What do people do with old TVs that still work?’ is closed to new replies.