Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What do our IT bods think of this?
  • epicyclo

On Indiegogo there’s a crowdfunder for this Anti-spy tablet.

I like the idea of hardware switches for all the potential spyware and I also like their general philosophy.

Mackem

a scaremongery PC. Novel.

somouk
    Free Member

Sounds like it won’t get updated to cover any vulnerabilities discovered and if you put your own OS on it then what’s the point?

They do appear to be trying to sell the idea that people are being watched via their PC. Not sure the ad people or marketing people are that bothered and there are always plugins that can stop it in normal browsers.

Milkie
    Free Member

So its a tablet/laptop with software installed linked to a hotkey…

People buy into this shit? If people are that worried about tracking, I’m pretty sure they would know how link programs/macro to a hotkey.

Or am I missing something big here…

hot_fiat

Does its mouse have a tin foil hat?

monkeychild
    Free Member

😆 😆 😆 People believe this crap?

*Grabs old laptop and installs TAILS on it and sells on e-bay for £8million

brassneck

There’s also an £11k Android phone for you with the same intent. Bargain.

cranberry
    Free Member

Does its mouse have a tin foil hat?

You beat me to it.

allan23
    Free Member

Hmmmm,

Some of the description is sound but it’s the kind of stuff I’d do myself with cheaper hardware, if I really cared that much.

The whole idea seems aimed at those that don’t know what they’re doing but want a private system, who will probably accidentally break the security if they manage to work out the thing in the first place.

Not something I’d put my money in.

hels
    Free Member

Who was it who said that nobody ever got poor by underestimating public taste ?

Anyways, Mark Zuckerberg puts tape over his laptop webcam, so being paranoid is cool. Not sure about being ignorant.

retro83
    Free Member

Meh. Just use Linux. Webcam driver won’t work so you don’t have to worry.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Meh. Just use Linux. Webcam driver won’t work so you don’t have to worry

😀

mikey74
    Free Member

A laptop invented purely for Daily Mail readers. As long as it doesn’t let them connect with the outside world, then it’s fine with me.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Cheap looking, poor spec laptop for lots of money sold to people scared of their own shadow. Nigel Farage probably has one.

molgrips
    Free Member

So it’s a Linux laptop – so what? Ubuntu works on MS Surface tablets.

epicyclo

molgrips – Member
    So it’s a Linux laptop – so what? Ubuntu works on MS Surface tablets.

I thought it would get a thorough bagging here. 🙂

At the moment, proper security is something that only knowledgeable computer folk can do properly. This doesn’t need that level of knowledge.

Hardware switches are what attracted my attention because that is fool proof – ok, almost. Them fools is getting more cunning every day.

What occurred to me is that it could be a crafty sting set up by evil govt spymasters….

MSP

No identification required to use or install applications

I got as far as that, they don’t understand security do they.

molgrips
    Free Member

At the moment, proper security is something that only knowledgeable computer folk can do properly.

Dunno – enough Linux people are paranoid enough to make most distros quite anti-spyey I think.

monkeychild
    Free Member

*does an netstat* WTF!!! GCHQ haz my dataz

CountZero

Shirley the only way to be safe is to never connect to the Internet or any unknown intranet?
    In which case any cheap laptop would do.

footflaps

A laptop invented purely for Daily Mail readers. As long as it doesn’t let them connect with the outside world, then it’s fine with me.

🙂

Shirley the only way to be safe is to never connect to the Internet or any unknown intranet?

What about all the networks its connected to that you don’t know about?

qwerty
    Free Member

Could you not just browse with Tor? I watched a Ted Talk on how Tor is going mainstream, driven by our snooping paranoia.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What do our IT bods think of this?’ is closed to new replies.