Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 135 total)
  • What do meat eaters think about this?
  • bigjim

If you can get past the “string it up by its back legs and cut it’s throat”

not everyone wants halal

binners

Can you make decent cheese with dogs milk?

DezB
    Free Member

I wonder how many meat eaters would actually kill the animals they eat.

Don’t need to, look:

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Does the report take into account the amount of CO2 created when vegetarians and vegans go f*****g on about themselves being vegetarian or vegan?

In fairness (me not either veggie or vegan) meat eaters go ona just as much as evidenced. For balance, my better half is vegan and completely uninterested in evangelising, but (often) as soon as a meat eater hears she’s a vegan (in passing) you’d think she’d committed a cardinal sin and usually has to field a score of accusations/assumptions/bad science and schoolyard style ‘gotchas’.

As ever, the loudest aren’t necessarily the most representative of anything other than being loudest.

Northwind

binners – Member

I can’t. But I think i just got the amount of rennet wrong.

andytherocketeer

could never go veggie, and definitely not vegan.
    I’d declare bacon as a vegetable for the purposes of being vegetarian.

ninfan
    Free Member

Reading the study it seems to be a pretty convoluted calculation of the CO2 equivalent produced in the production of the foods on which they eat.

Again, as all these ‘meat produces X amount of CO2’ stories, it seems to fall foul of the problem if identifying the source of the meat – for example intensively reared and cereal fed American beef had a very different CO2 profile from extensively reared grass fed british beef cattle.

so, once again, a none story by drum beating veggies!

binners
    DezB
    Free Member

But I think i just got the amount of rennet wrong.

That wasn’t rennet 😕

binners

So going back to the original question: What do meat eaters think about this?

I think we could summarise by concluding that we really couldn’t give a ****! 😀

digga
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

binners – Member

I can’t. But I think i just got the amount of rennet wrong.[/quote]
    All good and well until someone thinks of experimenting with dog eggs.

Back to the OP; FWIW, when I’m on a high meat/protein diet, I reckon my personal methane output is higher. Certainly more deadly.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

High protein plus high carbs plus beer = fartogeddon

Britain’s methane is prob off the scale. Even the so-called vegeterians consume nothing but eggs, crisps, beans, beer and chips. Allegedly.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

chambord
    Free Member

my better half is vegan and completely uninterested in evangelising, but (often) as soon as a meat eater hears she’s a vegan (in passing) you’d think she’d committed a cardinal sin

This is my experience as well.

Opinionated Gordon Ramsey wannabee “f*** vegetarian” meat eaters are amongst the most annoying people to have to be anywhere near.

dazh

Does the report take into account the amount of CO2 created when vegetarians and vegans go f*****g on about themselves being vegetarian or vegan?

2 pages of meat-eaters being overly worried about what veggies eat or think would seem to prove otherwise….

Anyway, a good opportunity to post this…

Jamie
    Free Member

MrWoppit
    Free Member

dazh

For balance

This is a meateaters vs vegetarians (who are strangely absent, despite our zealous evangelising tendencies) thread. There is no place for that here.

bails

If you want to eat meat you should appreciate where it comes from, value it more and be prepared to kill the animal that you eat

Likewise, if you want to use fossil fuels you should mine/drill and refine them yourself.

And cut your own hair.

andytherocketeer

with scissors handcrafted from steel that you smelted from ore yourself

dazh

And cut your own hair.

Been doing that for 20 years. Does it save much carbon?

Pyro

I’m a meat eater/omnivore, my other half is 99.5% veggie*, one of my sisters is vegan, the other one is pescetarian but allergic to dairy.

I definitely fart the most.

None of us (even the serious vegan) evangalise about our choice of diet. I may try and feed the girlfriend donner meat when she’s drunk occasionally, but that’s merely in jest, and it’s not hugely identifiable as meat.

*She has been known to eat burnt barbecue stuff when she’s drunk.

traildog
    Free Member

Only recently become veggie (of sorts) and have done so for health reasons. I’m not particularly against people eating meat, they can eat what they want.
    But the worst thing by far of being a veggie is meat eaters going on about it. Being a vegan must be so much worse!

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m a meat eater/omnivore, my other half is 99.5% veggie*, one of my sisters is vegan, the other one is pescetarian but allergic to dairy.

But you have compared yourself to three females of the opposite sex. They never, ever fart.

dazh

Some years ago I once considered carrying around printed cards with the reasons I don’t eat meat and a FAQ as to how I manage to stay alive eating only plant matter. These days I find the best way of avoiding the spanish inquisition is to tell people that my wife is a very strict vegan and also very abusive and bullying so I’m not allowed 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

I probably eat less meat than ya average person and more offal too. I’d like to know why we don’t eat more insects/bugs/etc… in the western world? I’ve been playing with it and tried a few now and some are really nice.

binners

Cows are slower so easier to catch.

chvck
    Free Member

I genuinely laughed out loud at that

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

But the worst thing by far of being a veggie is meat eaters going on about it. Being a vegan must be so much worse!

Mrs Rider got literally brayed out of a farmer’s market once for refusing to try the sausage (whilst buying sausage for me and then being offered sausage to try, then made to explain why she didn’t want to try the sausage, made the mistake of saying she was vegan) “I bet yr one of those liberals aren’t youuuu?” (Farage voice) . The queue behind joined in berating her, I kid you not. wtf is wrong with some people?

Who once expertly said ‘pick a side and be a dick about it’? No escape, even if you’re not a dick it seems that someone will be along shortly to paint one on you.

back to the topic – ahhh fuhgeddaboutit…

5thElefant
    Free Member

My mrs had a mental breakdown attempting to feed some veggies.

“How about lamb? They only eat grass.”

So, nah, a cow’s carbon emissions don’t come into it in our house.

julianwilson
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    Problem is that you have to also give up all cows milk based products to have a meaningful effect on CO2 production.

The meat is almost a by-product of milk production in most countries.

Unless they kill the calves as they’re born they need to keep producing young cattle in order to keep milk production going.

This.
    I suppose i have been veggie all this time out of principe rather than dislike of meat and fish. But it bothers me that if everyone did the same overnight, we would not know what to do with all the steers, billygoats and cockerels etc that have to come as part of the overall upkeep of dairy and egg production.

However as ninfan points out there is a huge difference between different farming and rearing methods and their impact on the environment, with co2 emissions being just one measure/symptom.
    We could make a huge difference to a lot of areas ecological and otherwise (including a host of rather nasty tummy bugs from hurried and sloppy slaughtering btw) if we decided it was ok to pay the same money per week for a smaller quantity of much tastier meat. Same for milk and eggs too.

DrP

How much CO2 would I produce if I were to capture, cook, and eat a meat eater?
    I mean, if I were to make a pie out of Binners, what would be the global deficit/gain in CO2?

Or even more through provoking…if I made a pie out of Binners’ lower half, would Binners himself eat said pie?
    How long could this go on for……??

DrP

Bunnyhop

Botty burps from cows isn’t the problem, as they pass wind from their mouth much more.

At school in the 1970’s we were taught to skin, sort out giblets and fillet fish. Not sure this would be allowed nowadays.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Long pig!

gobuchul
    Free Member

we would not know what to do with all the steers, billygoats and cockerels etc that have to come as part of the overall upkeep of dairy and egg productio

You do realise that the vast majority of male offspring born to and dairy and egg producing farms/are simply killed?

Most dairy breeds are unsuitable for beef production, a few “lucky” ones survive for 12 months as veal calves.

TooTall
    Free Member

Again, as all these ‘meat produces X amount of CO2’ stories, it seems to fall foul of the problem if identifying the source of the meat – for example intensively reared and cereal fed American beef had a very different CO2 profile from extensively reared grass fed british beef cattle.

A quarter of all UK beef is imported. It might not be grass fed. Those UK grass fed cattle are also fed soya and corn, a lot of which is imported, some from Latin America. Some may well be GM.

It is something like x8 the energy to produce 1lb of beef compared to 1lb of chicken.

It isn’t a non-story. You can get far more output from far less input with other meats and way more with crops.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Most dairy breeds are unsuitable for beef production, a few “lucky” ones survive for 12 months as veal calves.

Blimey. Every day is a school day innit.

Is the reverse true too? Reason i ask is that my brother in law raises steers for beef production and has a few cows (and a bull the size of a car called Troy!) only for producing more steers. But basically he just ‘does’ steers afaik, and as well as the few he brings into the world, he buys them (again, always steers) young and sells them bigger and meatier for slaughter. i wonder what happens to the few girl calves that he has, and indeed all the other girl calves that come from the herds he gets all his steers from.
    Iirc his sheep herds (also for meat not wool or *winces* milk) are unisex, but he keeps them apart for most of the year so his lambs come at a predicatable time. One year, a single ram got in with the ewes and was removed after about an hour of fun, later that year about ten ewes went into labour ahead of schedule 😯

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Being a vegan must be so much worse!

it used to be, until i just learned to not give a shit what anyone else thinks about my own dietary preferences. hence how binners is a (semi) regular riding mate of mine; he can spout all this stuff about veggies as much as he likes, i just don’t listen!

edhornby

This story doing the rounds again is a load of poorly researched data cobbled together… The Americans are the worst by far for inappropriate beef consumption, the UK is tiny in proportion

We should care about where the beef comes from and not eat shitty MacDonalds

The methane production from dairy isn’t that accurate a science but yes it is a presence in the climate change that us happening

CountZero

But you have compared yourself to three females of the opposite sex. They never, ever fart.

Do males of the opposite sex fart, then?
    Just asking, like… 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘What do meat eaters think about this?’ is closed to new replies.