Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What do I need to know about fitting a bash guard?
  • Wharfedale
    Free Member

Thinking of removing the big ring on my stumpy after snapping a tooth off at Gisburn this weekend.

Any recommendation, is it worth doing etc, don't want to spend a fortune.

Cheers Stuart

fozzybear
    Free Member

a cheap shimano one will do, about 6-8 from LBS don't get this expensive and heavy e13 or the like..

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Is it worth doing? Yes, although plenty of people will be along to convince you otherwise 😀

Make sure you get the right size. E.g if protecting a 32 tooth middle ring you need a 32t bash. Sounds obvious but I – and friends – used to think you bought the size of the ring you're replacing, not the one you're protecting.

Lots of people – me included – will recommend replacing your (probably) 32t middle ring for a 36t. That way you're not losing so many gears when you ditch the outer ring.

I bought a Truvativ bash for £10 but replaced it recently because the profile didn't prevent the derailleur over-shifting and the chain going off the middle ring. I now have an e13 which was expensive but is much better

dmiller
    Free Member

Just leave the wrecked ring on and use that as a bash ring? 😉

Also just a thought but have you actually snapped a tooth off? I thought I had done the same thing at Laggan but the teeth are different shapes to allow for shifting…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

PS + 1 for the Shimano suggestion, but when I bought one they didn't go up to 36t. They probably do now. They don't look as good but, heh. Not all e13s are heavy but they are dear

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

and shorten your chain 😆

fozzybear
    Free Member

well SLX double are 36T so i would guess there are 36t bash's available now.

nuke

I don't bash that often so went with…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40532

I'm running 2×9 with a 36T: it stops the chain dropping off on descents, protects the chainring and just replaces the big ring (no need for longer bolts). Plus it looks good 😉

delusional
    Free Member

I'll pass on a recommendation I picked up from here a while back, try BBG bashguards: http://www.bbgbashguard.com/

Cheap (around £10 inc. shipping), strong ("guaranteed for life against breaking or bending no matter how hard you ride") and light (75g for standard 36t 104).

The only thing that put me off was ordering from the states, but mine just turned up this morning less than a week after I ordered. It looks pretty nice as well, no complicated styling or huge logos. Just simple black with a small "BBG" print. Should look really good fitted.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Thanks for the help guys, HONE bash winging it's way to me now from the classifieds board.

Fingers crossed it will fit an XT crank.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I started to ruin my 44T so put a bash guard on instead. I haven't really missed the 44T much.

the profile didn't prevent the derailleur over-shifting

That's what your front-derailler stop-screws are for.

I got a 36T sized bash. When my 32T ring wears out, I can put a 36T ring on (check for room at a the chain-stays). The bash is quite thick and I needed to use short bolts and long nuts with a washer to get a good fit. CRC sell long nut/bolt kits.

It gives a bit more room given my TranceX's low(ish) BB which gives confidence when rolling off edges. It's not a substitute for a proper chain device though as the chain can still fall off the small ring.

I think it's worthwhile upgrade for a trail bike. Probably the wrong move for a light XC or race bike where you expect to use the big ring more.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

the profile didn't prevent the derailleur over-shifting

That's what your front-derailler stop-screws are for.

been there, got the t-shirt. Trust me, I still lost the chain. With a different bash, I don't

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What do I need to know about fitting a bash guard?’ is closed to new replies.