• This topic has 35 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by P20.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • What do I need to know about car wheels?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Considering getting some steel ones for my winter tyres. And yes I know it’s the wrong time to look 🙂

I already have the tyres, which is a bit annoying, so they need to fit. Rim diameter is obviously important, as is the number of bolt holes and the circle diameter – this is PCD isn’t it?

Then the depth of the rim has to be the same, I presume? How is this quoted? Anything else that needs to match?

Trekster

Resultlist Wheelsizecalculator

If alloys are fitted you will need new wheel nuts, different taper on an alloy wheel compared to a steel.

It’s all about the J number, offset, inset which dictates whether wheels interfere with body or suspension.

You may also need new studs, some alloy wheels do not use the studs for support, only location.

Wheel size is usually found in handbook

Disclaimer = ex mech! some 35yrs away from trade 🙄

http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/steel-wheels/8425/black/16-inch

Wrong sized wheels could invalidate insurance in the event of an accident 💡

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The rim width is quoted on the markings ie. 6J, 8.5j etc. the number being the width in inches. this doesn’t have to be exactly the same but pretty close as it affects the way the tyre sits on the rim, just like MTB tyres, the wider the rim, the wider the contact patch of the tyre, but lower sidewall.

The other number that’s important is the offset (how far they stick out from the hub face), marked with ET i.e. ET38 etc, the lower the number the further they stick out.

benji
    Free Member

The offset is the important number, yes you can mess with spacers but it doesn’t have to be like that.

rickt
    Free Member

Easy option is what car is it and what size tyres you got??

bails

Easiest option might be to source some steel wheels from the same make/model. This relies on the manufacturer selling cars with steel wheels the same size as your alloys.

nealglover
    Free Member

Easiest option might be to source some steel wheels from the same make/model. This relies on the manufacturer selling cars with steel wheels the same size as your alloys.

Not really.

Steel wheels don’t need to be the same size as the alloys they are replacing.

I’ve got 16″ 7j steels for winter all round.

Summer I’ve got 18″ 8.5j front and 18″ 10j rear.

Speedo is spot on satnav reading, and the same with either set.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Best thing to do is to look on ebay for steel wheels specifically for your car.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can calibrate the speedo with the gps in this car, which is cool.

The reason I ask is that there seem to be many more second hand wheels available from more common cars e.g. Golf mk4 that look like they will fit the Prius.

maccruiskeen

An important consideration is the hole in the centre of the wheel – the centre bore – really the weight is carried to the hub at this point not by the wheel studs so that bore needs to fit your hub and not be larger than it.

EDIT Prius centre bore is 54.1
    Golf wheels are 57.1

so golf wheels would bolt on nicely but you’d be hanging the car on its wheels nuts rather than the weight going through the hub/bore.

Northwind

Don’t fixate on steels btw, stock or otherwise undesirable alloys can be cheaper.

Also, yes it’s the wrong time of year but assuming you don’t already have the tyres it’s worth looking for tyres-on-wheels, they can go for silly money. usual disclaimers about used winter tyres apply though.

nealglover
    Free Member

so golf wheels would bolt on nicely but you’d be hanging the car on its wheels nuts rather than the weight going through the hub/bore.

Spigot rings would be required then.

£8 problem solved.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You’d be better off looking for wheels off a Yaris or something. Must be some people replacing steels with alloys. They are more likely to be the correct offset. Or try a breakers.

nealglover
    Free Member

Just be sure whatever you get will clear the brakes of the model you have.

My T4 Multivan can’t use standard 15″ T4 steels because of the brakes, so I used 16″ Merc steels instead.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

scrappy?

molgrips
    Free Member

An important consideration is the hole in the centre of the wheel – the centre bore – really the weight is carried to the hub at this point not by the wheel studs so that bore needs to fit your hub and not be larger than it.

A very good point.. I’m glad I posted this thread now!

I already have tyres btw, to fit the original wheels. Not a very sensible move, cos a slightly different size of tyre would’ve been much cheaper.

Very few second hand wheels available because all MkII Priuses came with alloys as standard, and they’re not bought by the kind of people who like to change wheels 🙂 I think Toyota quoted £230 or something for new wheels.

The Yaris wheels is a good idea, might work.

iolo
    Free Member

definite scrapyard.
    Local to me let you try one on there to see if it fits before you buy.
    And if the tyres don’t fit sell them.
    Then get some that do.

molgrips
    Free Member

Scrapyards by me hardly ever keep anything useful, it’s all stripped and sent to Poland to be sold on – as they told me themselves.

Neal – good stuff!

nealglover
    Free Member

Among loads of others, you can use wheels off…..

Audi: A2 / A3 / TT
    Chrysler: Neon / PT Cruiser
    Rover: 75
    Seat: Ibiza / Cordoba / Leon
    Skoda: Fabia / Octavia
    Subaru: Forester / Impreza (et48)
    Toyota: Avensis / Celica / Prius
    VW: Beetle / Fox / Golf III-IV / Passat / Polo

molgrips
    Free Member

With those spigot rings I presume?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Actually, done a quick search an it seems the Yaris and Corolla both have a 4 bolt PCD and it seems the Prius has 5, so maybe wheels off an Avensis?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

From whence did you populate this list?

porter_jamie

i used to be a wheel and tyre engineer. another thing to worry about is the bolt/nut seat on the wheel. the steel wheels tend to have conical seats and some alloys have flat seats with posh stainless capped nuts and captive washers. they are not compatible. honestly, the safest way would to get some identical oem wheels. if your winter tyre is the same spec as the ones described on your tyre label then it is homologated and 100% legal and you absolutely have zero insurance, legal or other issues.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Would it not be easier to just get some snow chains/socks? Chances are that the **** in front won’t have gone to the same trouble as you are now and will block the road anyway.

iolo
    Free Member

If you struggle maybe try some scrapyards further afield. Google the one in Llandudno Junction.
    Call them and ask what they have.Ride the marin trail.
    Dirty weekend with the wife/mistress/whoever
    Perfect weekend.

molgrips
    Free Member

Road trip North Wales.. could be good 🙂

some alloys have flat seats with posh stainless capped nuts and captive washers

I have captive washers. Hmm.

Northwind

wrightyson – Member

Would it not be easier to just get some snow chains/socks?

Nah, it’s a pain in the baws to fit chains, then take them off as soon as you get off the snow, and then oops more snow…And you lose all the other benefits too obviously.

nealglover
    Free Member

With those spigot rings I presume?

Most of them yes. Just google the centre bore of the wheel you find and get the relevant spigot ring set off ebay to convert to 54.1

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂

cr500dom
    Free Member

If they are 16″ wheels,(I think they are as the GT86 uses the same size wheels and tyres as the Prius) I suspect they will be the same fitment as the Avensis, Id speak to Toyota dealers about some Avensis 16" steel wheels, Im sure they wont be as expensive as you think 😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Would it not be easier to just get some snow chains/socks?

Lets not start this argument again.
    Winter tyres are for winter, which isn’t just snow and ice.

I ended up with matching ford steel wheels for my winter tyres as the first year I had them, I got tyres to go on my existing alloys.
    Second year round, got the identically sized steel wheels so i don’t have to pay kwikfit £40 a go to change them.
    Also, Ford do a 5-spoke steel wheel which doesn’t look too bad.

molgrips
    Free Member

Prius wheels quoted at £250 or something, I dunno that avensis wheels would be any cheaper from them.

cr500dom
    Free Member

prius wheels are alloys, I recommended avensis steels – big difference

(Steelies generaly tend to be £40-50 a pop even from main stealers) you may even get lucky and they’ll have a set they have taken off a poverty model to fit some alloys, which will be even cheaper

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah right.. I did specifically ask for steels when I went in but maybe they quoted me for the OEM option which would be alloy as you say. I meant £250 a set btw not each which would work out similar to what you said. I may try some spares places like Euro car parts.

Still, a bit more than second hand golf wheels. Plenty of those about it seems.

P20

I’ve just got some Renault steels with spigots to fit wor lasses Yaris. I’ve had to get some different wheel nuts though

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘What do I need to know about car wheels?’ is closed to new replies.