Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What do I need to go 1×11 and how much?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So I’ve currently got a standard 1×10 set up. Nukeproof generator hub with sram 10 speed cassette x9 rear clutch mech and shifter. Also as like a lot of others I replaced one of the lowers for a hope trex expander.
    Now, after a horrendous delivery and smashed bike I have a shiny new in the box x0 rear mech and another hope trex to possibly sell. Will I get anywhere near what I need by selling these two items to fund the switch.

endurokid
    Free Member

If you’re keeping your existing cranks and moving to XT rather than SRAM I reckon you’ll make about a third of what you need to go 11 speed.

10 speed and even 11 speed are so cheap they’ve practically killed the second hand market, a bit like what’s happened to 26″.

I recently sold an X0 10 speed clutch mech but had to include an XT cassette, XT chain and Superstar NW just to shift the mech, and I only got £50, although to be fair mine wasn’t new.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You’ll get all you need from bike discount for around 200 quid.

Mech, chain, cassette and shifter, all XT M8000

endurokid
    Free Member

£200?!

You can do better by shopping from UK sites, well, and CRC.

My M8000 mech, chain, shifter and cassette cost just shy of £160, and that included a Superstar NW! 😀

hanchurch
    Free Member

endurokid where did you find that?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fit a 42t expander the mech should fit and you have the same range as xt for a fraction of the cost.
    To go all in then you need mech, shifter, cassette and chain.
    Gx is the alternative to xt but sits more in the gap between that and XTR.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

I was over in Belper at the weekend and called in to Belper Bikes (not to be confused with belper cycles, as I did)

Paid £102 for an XT mech and 11-42 cassette.

Local bike shop service and even cheaper than CRC, wiggle and the like.
    I found them on Face Book.

endurokid
    Free Member

@hanchurch

I bought separately from Ribble, CRC and Tweeks. Admitably Ribble had discounts at Christmas which helped, and keeping my existing cranks saved money too.

Superstar also had a deal on at Xmas so the NW only cost £15.

I suppose in hindsight my post doesn’t really stand as the discounts I got aren’t available now, maybe I just bought at the right time.

gonzy
    Free Member

i agree with endurokid. i looked at getting 11 speed at christmas time and the figure was similar. you do need to shop around and buy the parts from whoever is selling them at the cheapest price rather than getting it all off one retailer.
    it depends if the OP wants to go to SRAM as that wont be cheap. their cassettes cost in excess of 150 and then you need a the XD freehub which is another 70.
    using shimano is the cheaper option as you can use the cassette on your existing freehub.
    i’ve decided not to move to 11sp from 10sp as the wife has agreed to me getting a new bike next year for my birthday

teethgrinder

Technically, you don’t need an 11spd chain. I’m running M8000 with a 10spg HG54 chain and it works fine.

YMMV, though.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I went for….
    XT mech + shifter
    X1 Cassette and chain + Hope XD freehub
    Raceface NW 30T chainring

£336 with 10% CRC discount from BC

I realize paid a lot more than I needed to for one less tooth but what the hell – it gives me a lot more range and those SRAM cassettes are very nice 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What do I need to go 1×11 and how much?’ is closed to new replies.