Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What do I do with this wooden floor?
  • tthew

Started decorating the hall and I’ve sanded the scratches and marks out of the wooden floor. It’s engineered wood so good for sanding. The 1\2 sheet sander didn’t get back to bare though, nowhere near. Can I refinish it from this, (doubtful) if not what tool do i want to properly strip it? Not enough room to use one of those big drum sanders.

Ta.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Try a belt sander?

£45 at Screwfix

GrahamA
    Free Member
    kormoran
    Free Member

I did a very similar floor to yours, I used a b and q belt sander to strip back the original lacquer to bare wood. I had about 10 sqm and it took me about a day. I popped off the skirting which made life very easy. I then stained the wood and then waxed 2 coats with Osmo, it looks really good and was simple. I am guessing you won’t be staining so could just go straight for the wax.

It was very dusty! If i did it again I would tape up doors to stop the fine dust getting around the gaps

tthew

That’s what i meant by the big drum sander. Have tried them in here before when it was proper floorboards. Due to doorframes, radiator and the fact they don’t go flush to walls it only gets about half the area. Belt sander was my thought, but I’ll probably hire rather than buy.

Thanks for that, I am going to colour it a bit darker. On SWMBO’s orders.

kayak23

What grit are you using?
    Looks pretty fine.
    Try a coarser grit, working back to finer.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Might be cheaper and easier to lay new flooring?

newrobdob
    Free Member

With enginereed wood floor the actual wood isn’t very thick, might only be 2-3mm so tread carefully. I got some really expensive engineered stuff cheaply and that still only has a 6mm real wood layer.

Personally if it was me I’d use a random orbital sander, £45 from B&Q and attach my Hoover to it so the house didn’t fill with dust. If it isn’t a huge area it won’t take long. Random orbital sanders don’t leave sanding marks like belt sanders (unless you are really stupid) and the discs are very cheap.

A floor drum sander might wreck the floor and for a hallway might be very difficult to use anyway as they are pretty bulky.

kormoran
    Free Member

Thanks for that, I am going to colour it a bit darker. On SWMBO’s orders.

I went to a bit darker than yours with a russwood stain, very pleased with the finish

bensales
    Free Member

My solution was far simpler…

Ripped it out and put a carpet in! Much nicer under foot on cold winter mornings 🙂

tthew

What grit are you using?

40, but it was cheap paper from the hardware shop.

With enginereed wood floor the actual wood isn’t very thick, might only be 2-3mm so tread carefully. I got some really expensive engineered stuff cheaply and that still only has a 6mm real wood layer.

from memory, it was 6mm veneer, (if 6mm qualifies as veneer) but that was 10 years ago from Wickes. It definately said it could be sanded 3 times.

Ripped it out and put a carpet in! Much nicer under foot on cold winter mornings

Good solution, but I really like decorating* and in the hall wood and rugs are more practical for cleaning.

*I absolutely detest it, and have vowed to pay someone to do it next time.

mogrim

I’ve got dark floors at home and they look lovely, for about 5 minutes or so after mopping. Then they look crap, even the smallest bit of dust shows up. Next time I’ll be going for something like yours, or a bit lighter.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What do I do with this wooden floor?’ is closed to new replies.