Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • what do I do?
  • warton
    Free Member

so, as I mentioned two weeks ago, my friend was involved in a big smash in the lakes a few weeks back. He’s looking at three months, at least off the bike, probably more, and he’s selling up his bikes.

I haven’t been on a bike since, it shook me up pretty badly, and I’m think off selling my road bike and going back to MTB.

Who’s gone back to MTB from road? did you regret it, or did it re ignite their MTB spark? I’d probably do a bit of racing, and mix it up with running and gym stuff and still do my daily commute on my fixie…

To be honest I miss the idea of epic day outs, did a couple of double centuries this year and loved it…

any thoughts anyone?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why on earth would 3 months off the bike make you sell up? I’ve just done exactly that (broken ankle) and it never even occurred to me. Everyone crashes. Get over it. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

So if you had a bad car crash you would stop driving ?

warton
    Free Member

Why on earth would 3 months off the bike make you sell up? I’ve just done exactly that (broken ankle) and it never even occurred to me. Everyone crashes. Get over it.

three months before he can put weight on his hip again, chance he’ll have to walk with a stick for the rest of his life, so yeah just the same as a broken ankle really

wwaswas

Ride Mtb for a bit, your confidence for road riding may return in time.

Don’t sell anything yet.

[edit] I broke my hip mtbing 10 years ago – I’m more cautious now but it’s not stopped me.

the-muffin-man

You can hurt yourself very badly on both road and mtb bikes – ride whichever you enjoy most.

Also, how many mtb rides don’t have road sections in (unless you just ride trailcentres)? Its hard to completely avoid roads.

warton
    Free Member

cheers wwaswas, I was thinking of doing that, definitely not going to sell anything straight away, but my confidence has definitely taken a knock…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Every time i’ve crashed, i’ve always jumped straight back on the bike. I know your mate can’t but for you my advice would be to get back on the bike and sharpish!

It’l be rate! 😉

smell_it
    Free Member

I had a grim stack about a decade ago road riding down mt etna; bits of my face are plated and screwed back together, muchos expensive dental work, and a skin graft that means i have pubes growing out of the side of one of my fingers. I still keep a 5 o’clock shadow to help cover some of the facial scars which serve as a daily reminder to me to what can go wrong. But i guess you make a choice, i could look at those scars and fret, but instead they remind me of how lucky i was and that i should get out there and enjoy it. It took 9 months for me to bike again without too much pain, and about 18 months to go full bore and race again .
    I wish your mate a good recovery, but you need to have a word with yourself and get back on any bike you fancy and sort your own recovery. Good luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘what do I do?’ is closed to new replies.