Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What disk brakes??
  • woody74

Need a new pair of disk brakes as my Avid Exlir are just crap. Any suggestions for a light weight cross country brake? Alpine power not needed but I do like a snappy feel.

jonnyrockymountain

shimano xt or slx

eskimonumber1

Recently changed from Elixir 5’s to XT and very impressed so far.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

shimano xt or slx

+1

unklehomered
    Free Member

SLX

/thread

mrblobby
    Free Member

What are you looking for from your brakes that you are not getting from your elixirs?

woody74

Elixirs are spongy as hell and just not they powerful. Looking for something light weight, with modulation but a snappy powerful end/final feel. Views on Hope?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ok, so crap for you. I like my Elixirs and find hope far too on/off. So you might be worth a try for you.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Apologies if the last reply sounded a bit short, was on my phone.

Things like feel are very subjective and I often hear two people describe the same set of brakes very differently. Also things like pad choice can make quite a big difference to the feel of the brakes. As can how well they’re bled and set up.

When you say that you find the Elixirs spongy and not very powerful, what are you comparing them to?

XT/SLX do seem to be the current STW brake of choice, but worth having a go and see what you think before spending your cash.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Breaking performance wise I would just buy the new Deore 615s as they are £90 a pair but if you want less weight and more bling SLX or XT.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What disk brakes??’ is closed to new replies.