Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 215 total)
  • What discipline for an 8 year old ?
  • weeksy

Well that’s cool… That’s his first entry in for Enduro this week, along with the first of the season for him in Southern XC series for Wasing (Aldermaston) in March. Hopefully now we’re getting his skills sorted so it will all be down to his power and speed. Catagory is good too as it’s U9’s, which means he should be at the right end of the age group too. With XC Rampage he’s going to be giving some 18months due to how they work it.

My lad’s done a number of the FOD mini enduros great little races for many reasons.
    They tend to do it per school year and sometimes if numbers are lower for a particular year will combine two years together. It’s a time trail like proper enduros and the course is great, quite long, with two short sections with a slight incline where pedalling comes into play. It finishes in spooky woods after the northshore and rock garden section prior to that.
    They do podiums afterwards near the centre. Great value and well organised.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bloody hell I remember that bombhole from the 90s!

weeksy

We may go nuts and hire this for race day…

It’s only £30 for the morning and gives him better bouncy bits along with better brakes. Only minor issues are trigger shifters instead of grip shifters, he’s used triggers, but preferred gripshift. 2nd consideration is whether a 14″ frame will be too big for him or the right size… But we can try that on Saturday when we drop in there.

weeksy

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylFZHFIyRCc[/VIDEO]

Well my lad struggled today out there, in simple terms, he just didn’t have the power/performance, even from the very start he was struggling. We plodded on and tried some decent technical riding, but his heart just wasn’t in it.

This is Swinleys little rock jump, which about 4/10 people who ride it don’t do it, plenty skipped it when we were watching/practicing… But the boy just went for it, nailed it, nailed it, nailed it, lol. He then did tank traps about 6 times as he was struggling with a few bits, but the roots/rocked on some entry points he really did will with ! Attacking and nailing them.

All in all… a good/bad day… but we pulled the plug before he got unhappy and didn’t enjoy it.

weeksy

Enduring race day, forest of Dean! It’s all exciting. My lad has his new KTM mx Jersey on for the race.

A few changes at the moment with plans as he’s now been picked for tryout sessions and training with the royal philharmonic for his flute playing, the first one clashes with the southern xc series race at Wasing park. So he’s going to have to skip the race. As much as his flute playing doesn’t interest me, he’s clearly a talented lad at it as he keeps getting upgrades, got given a new flute by his school etc, so I’m not one to hold him back.
    Hopefully not too many other clashes after that.

But. Let’s go have fun!

matt_outandabout

Have you a mtb club in the area?

weeksy

buckster
    Free Member

Soccer Dads rule OK 😆

weeksy

My boy really enjoyed his day, couple of practice crashes and one in the race at Spooky Woods, but didn’t dent his enjoyment of the event at all.

We didn’t make the podium, but i didn’t expect a podium finish in all honesty. So was just fun to be out there riding 🙂

Massive thanks to Taff and his boy…. Looked after us both brilliantly 🙂

weeksy

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2cETSI9R6o[/video]

weeksy

After this weekend and my boy ending up stuck in the granny ring, partly through his shifter stopping working correctly and partly as he was being a bit, well, a bit 8…. So he forgot that he shouldn’t be spinning like a loony and he should be using power too.

SO i thought i’d remove the shifting from the discussion and he’d go 1X

Many of the kids bikes these days are 1X and whilst it MAY give him an issue in some circumstances, i think he’ll be just fine with it. What i didn’t expect was the MASSIVE weight difference.

I’ve removed 1.5kf from the bike and only added back in 450gr ! So we’re 1kg lighter than before starting the work.

Just waiting on a new chain to arrive and we’ll be good to go 🙂

The good thing is that this may save me spending £650 on a Whyte 403 for him !

weeksy

Chain all done, ready for testing when he gets back from deepest darkest Wales 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Weeksy..you are near Thatcham right? We should meet up sometime. My lad is only 6 but it might be good for him to see how a slightly older boy does it….I’ll even let you sit on a proper motorbike if your good!!

weeksy

Yup, not a million miles from Thatcham, 15 mins or so. We’re free lots, so just lob me a mail/message etc 🙂
    One sunny weekend you could come over here if you like, the boys can play on the green as they do every weekend, lots of cycling/scootering, we’ve got 7 kids in the close varying in ages from 5-9.

stevextc
    Free Member

Weeksy..you are near Thatcham right? We should meet up sometime. My lad is only 6 but it might be good for him to see how a slightly older boy does it….I’ll even let you sit on a proper motorbike if your good!!

I’ve got a 7yr old who’d love to ride with some other kids if either of you venture over towards Swinley…

Unless he has a race (or the weather looks astoundingly better on a Saturday) we are usually at Swinley Sunday’s – we usually do the blue-red loop or variations from it repeating a few favourite runs and stopping for a sandwich lunch at some point

If anyone wanting to ride with kids drops me a pm we can swap mobiles and meet at the bike hut or trail head?

Last week we stopped here and rode it about 15 times…. whilst he practiced the drop-offs (and keeping his front wheel up)
    [video]https://youtu.be/7xdnzUA9jmY[/video]

Then also looped around Red 25 3 times
    (Warning shaky but just to give you an idea of the riding – I left a long gap because if he comes off I don’t want to land on top of him)
    [video]https://youtu.be/ujJgkiYowsc[/video]

weeksy

Swinley next weekend with them?

anagallis_arvensis

Sunday is rugby for a few more weeks but then will be free.

stevextc
    Free Member

We’ll be free next weekend … Saturday is possible as well at the moment.
    In a couple of weeks I’ll be working a few weekends.. 🙁

We were at Bedgebury, Kent yesterday for a under 8’s XC and then did a few runs of a more technical run with one of the other families and he had so much fun we forgot to go back for the presentation and he had to go and collect his medal after the presentation. We had to call it a day early as we’d not taken any jacket and it got cold and started raining…. (jacket forgotten due to trying to get 7yr old into car in order to do 1.5 hr drive before 9:30 am for registration … )

Today we only did an hour or so at Swinley ….

weeksy

Sat about 11am work then?

weeksy

I’m having an internal debate, along with a discussion with Mrs Weeksy regarding the cycling thing.

Yesterday me and the lad went out, bit of a generic XC/Ridgeway ride… As always he got a little competitive and the “I’ll race you to…” which i always oblige him with a bit of a race and push him a bit 🙂

But the debate currently is regarding what do we do in the grand scheme of things… Do we do a fair bit more racing, or do we just stick mostly to messing about? He’s a quick lad and last year in XC Rampage was often running away with the races before throwing it into the floor (which we’ve hopefully resolved with some skills, bike changes etc).
    Recently he did an XC race, which had 3-4 of his usual adversaries in the field but this time he was off the pace… I’m inclined to think it was a lack of training… but he’s only 8 ! Training brings a certain level of seriousness, both in a training context and in a racing context. I’m 50-50 on wether we should train more, race more, ride more… Or whether we just accept it and say head to Swinley for a mess about instead.

From chatting to him, he certainly enjoys the racing, but i just don’t know what way to proceed with it. If i bring up the suggestion of the race this weekend, he will without doubt be up for it… but equally he’d be up for heading to Swinley, riding and then climbing in the castle lol.

theotherjonv

I’ll tell you my story, read across as you see fit.

Was there a year or two ago with my daughter / basketball (she’s 11 now, was 9 at the time). She is really very good – her club coach is also assistant at England / GB, head coach for the SE region, etc., and that’s her feedback so it’s not just parent opinion. Her technical ability is such that she can do most of the skills that are ‘required’ for Reg/Nat girls from the U14/16 age group, so stuff like shooting form, lay ups, dribbling both hands, crossovers, jab steps, stutter steps, eurosteps, etc.

But playing against other U10’s – most of her peer group aren’t of the same level; and against boys she was suffering (sadly) from not getting passed to because ‘she’s a girl’ and doesn’t have the maturity to deal with it or overcome it. She could just about manage at girls U12 level, although girls being girls some are young women at that age and the difference shows in strength, height and speed. As a result she got very disillusioned and end result is that she has fallen out of the program. She still plays socially down at the skate park a bit, or in the back yard with me, but that’s all we do – play for fun.

At first I agonized that ‘losing’ a year would be a big set back, but actually I realized I was in danger of being that pushy Dad we all hate and if she lost all enjoyment then she’d quit completely. So we accepted it. And another coach from another age group ‘applauded’ us for it. She’s an ex- Danish International, so clearly good enough and she didn’t even start playing until she was 12. She pointed out that if she’s already technically U14/16 standard of skills, she’s already years ahead of her game, and the experience of game situations is something you never truly master, but that it would come quickly when she restarted.

She’ll be a true U12 next year, and will also be able to play at school when she goes up to secondary next year, and it’s looking like she wants back in next year.

Like I said – read across. My 2p – let him be a child, but keep him active in the sport in the way he wants to be. He has years yet before he needs to be ‘serious’ about it, and the kids that beat him currently because their Dad insists they do turbo sessions every night will be the ones that burn their bib shorts as soon as they’re old enough to stand up to their parents because they’ve been forced to do it.

stevextc
    Free Member

Recently he did an XC race, which had 3-4 of his usual adversaries in the field but this time he was off the pace… I’m inclined to think it was a lack of training… but he’s only 8 ! Training brings a certain level of seriousness, both in a training context and in a racing context. I’m 50-50 on wether we should train more, race more, ride more… Or whether we just accept it and say head to Swinley for a mess about instead.

I’m having similar discussions but since his mother is not at all interested it’s so far with myself!

The difference seems to be duration which is totally different to having fun on a family ride so training specifically for a 10-15 minute event is obviously different to a 4 hour ride and some fun.

I think the social aspect at races can also be really good and he really likes riding with other kids as well as with me. I’m not superfit but obviously he can’t realistically compete against me and he’ll push much harder when another kid is available.

So my plan at the moment is as much fun as possible but then to take some time out whilst doing family rides for 10-15 minute laps on less technical trails and also to take time out to do fun/technical stuff on the same ride.

I don’t really like the idea of just doing competition and training for competition at their age…

Open for Gorrick this weekend but 8.55am start seems like a challenge (assuming they are OK letting my 7yr old in the 8-11 age group)

stevextc
    Free Member

Like I said – read across. My 2p – let him be a child, but keep him active in the sport in the way he wants to be. He has years yet before he needs to be ‘serious’ about it, and the kids that beat him currently because their Dad insists they do turbo sessions every night will be the ones that burn their bib shorts as soon as they’re old enough to stand up to their parents because they’ve been forced to do it.

From what Weeksy said and my experience it’s not me/him pushing the racing but the kids.

He got back after a race on Saturday and insisted on going on the turbo’s…. I probably shouldn’t have let him but it was a deal if he did his homework…and I wanted him to do his homework Saturday so it wasn’t hanging over riding Sunday…

For me at least Weeksy might say different this is a bit about how supportive we are with the racing… my kid has done nothing but want to race since he saw the Solent Pirates at Swinley… 2 years ago and its been more me holding him off until this year than anything.

The rest I all agree with, it’s important to let them be a kid and being pushy more likely to turn them off than improve them. I just feel at the moment I’m putting brakes on and it’s a question of how much to put the brakes on when he wants to race.

crosshair
    Free Member

I guess the question is, do you want him to place better or does he??

If it’s coming from him, then you need to be ready to apply the brakes a bit as Stevextc says but if it’s not- i.e. he enjoys racing but isn’t bothered where he finishes then the decision is up to you isn’t it.

You can show him what he needs to do to get fitter and let him decide how much he wants to do.

We obviously don’t have an issue with Freddie yet but it will come, probably in horse riding I expect, so we’ve talked about it a lot and that’s going to be our guide I think- does he want it for himself or just to appease us.

I’ve mentioned before my friend from up north with the kid who’s a sponsored MX rider.
    The little guy is obsessed and has been for years- he caught him watching DVD’s of an old race the night after he’d been racing.
    When told to turn it off his reply was “but Dad, I need to improve on my lines for next week!”

The other sticking point in my thoughts about it, is far more successful athletes have been heavily involved in their sport since childhood than not.
    So you need to decide what potential he has too and where it lies. If devoting hours each week riding his bike costs him being a world class musician then it may be time wasted?

If you think he’s good then you could get a coach to assess him?

weeksy

I see a few of the kids in his class in the full Lycra, i also saw them when i went to a CX race with Crosshair, i think every event i attend even to spectate they’re there LOL.
    But that’s the worrying aspect for me, is it the be all and end all…. If it then becomes a chore is it worth all the hassle… the answer is of course NO.

But i don’t want to sit there in 3-4 years and think “damn, i should have pushed him harder”..

weeksy

If devoting hours each week riding his bike costs him being a world class musician then it may be time wasted?

If you think he’s good then you could get a coach to assess him?

This bit is where we have a minor conflict of interests between me and Mrs Weeksy.
    My lad is doing a concert with the Royal Philharmonic at the Hexagon in a few weeks time, people are actually paying £7.50 a ticket to watch him/them. I get the impression from his flute tutors that he’s not quite a world beater for his age, but pretty talented.
    The conflict came up because he does flute on Weds and Sat, but Sat he has the option of the Reading Velo club, which may have spaces, we’ve been waiting for 6 months for some to come up for him. But we can’t do both as they’re at the same time.

I don’t think he’s a great rider techincally… in fact i’m 100% sure in a technical context there are many many riders out there better, but he’s a strong and powerful little fella and when he’s on form, or training better depending how you look at it, he’s very quick for his age group.

Yak

weeksy – have you got a club nearby? I know you were asking about our lot a while back, but being QECP based are we a bit too far away? If not, come along! I know you see my 2 racing a lot, but really there’s lots who come to club nights but never race. It’s just a fun skills and social club night for a lot of kids really – they all get on well together, enjoy learning things and pushing themselves on the trails. None of it feels like ‘training’ – more a fun evening out.

ah – posted before you posted yours about Reading velo…

crosshair
    Free Member

I see a few of the kids in his class in the full Lycra, i also saw them when i went to a CX race with Crosshair, i think every event i attend even to spectate they’re there LOL.
    But that’s the worrying aspect for me, is it the be all and end all…. If it then becomes a chore is it worth all the hassle… the answer is of course NO.

But i don’t want to sit there in 3-4 years and think “damn, i should have pushed him harder”..

The thing is, in many cases, the obsession will be coming from the kids!!
    I’d never really encountered it in my upbringing but when Sally was working at the Prep school there were one or two kids there who were scarily focussed for their age!!! The parents didn’t have your dilemma- those kids were gonna do it even if they had to run away from home and do it themselves!!!

weeksy

I know you were asking about our lot a while back, but being QECP based are we a bit too far away?

Problem with your one came not from distance, but again, was Saturdays… so the conflict.

We were going to come one weekend but your lass cancelled due to the weather, i then didn’t hear anything back at all from her regarding it.
    I’m still more than up for the evening ones you guys had running, i’m out of work by 3pm each day so easy to make the jaunt down.

weeksy

The thing is, in many cases, the obsession will be coming from the kids!!
    I’d never really encountered it in my upbringing but when Sally was working at the Prep school there were one or two kids there who were scarily focussed for their age!!! The parents didn’t have your dilemma- those kids were gonna do it even if they had to run away from home and do it themselves!!!

Never going to get that from my boy… he’s far too laid back. The only sodding thing he’s that crazy about is Pokemon 🙂
    If i suggest a ride/race he’ll jump at it… there’s no question he enjoys is and always seems to have fun at the events and the riding.. but he’s not the sort of kid who’ll be the pushy one in that context about it (wrong terminology i know, but i think you get what i mean)

Yak

Ok – I’ll look into it.

theotherjonv

I didn’t mean to say that you should discourage them in any way – quite the opposite. If they want to race, compete, take up world level origami – your role as a parent is to support them in that. But remember first and foremost these are (small) children we are talking about – not even early teenagers yet – and be prepared that one or two bad experiences and they might suddenly decide they don’t want to do it at all. At that point don’t make my mistake and ‘force’ the issue, be ready to step back and then be ready to go again as and when they want to.

And above all – you (we) had your chance to turn pro 30 years ago. You didn’t because you weren’t good enough and didn’t try hard enough. But as tempting as it is to now live your dreams through your kids – you can’t; it’s their life and their choice to make. Yes, world beaters like the Williams sisters were on court for hours and hours at the age of 5, but how many other kids did the same, never got anywhere, and missed out on being kids as a result.

stevextc
    Free Member

I didn’t mean to say that you should discourage them in any way – quite the opposite. If they want to race, compete, take up world level origami – your role as a parent is to support them in that. But remember first and foremost these are (small) children we are talking about – not even early teenagers yet – and be prepared that one or two bad experiences and they might suddenly decide they don’t want to do it at all. At that point don’t make my mistake and ‘force’ the issue, be ready to step back and then be ready to go again as and when they want to.

And above all – you (we) had your chance to turn pro 30 years ago. You didn’t because you weren’t good enough and didn’t try hard enough.

Sort of … but albeit different sports than cycling but what I remember my parents not supporting me… I’m sure there is a big gap between what I remember and reality but my memories are being beholden to other parents to get me to competitions and races.
    Perhaps I’m over compensating….

But as tempting as it is to now live your dreams through your kids – you can’t; it’s their life and their choice to make. Yes, world beaters like the Williams sisters were on court for hours and hours at the age of 5, but how many other kids did the same, never got anywhere, and missed out on being kids as a result.

Funny you mention that…. I forget the name but their was a girl who went to Oxbridge at 11 (or thereabouts) who was also a top tennis player and ended up running away to become a prostitute.

theotherjonv

what I remember my parents not supporting me…

Again – if they want to, make it your job to be as supportive as you need to be, no more, no less.

There may come a time when you have to up it a bit, to force them out of the door on a sunday morning for a four hour steady recovery ride when they don’t want to go. Or to give up a late night with your mates because you have to take them to the swimming pool at 5am. But that’ll be when you know it’s serious, not as an eight year old.

weeksy

.And above all – you (we) had your chance to turn pro 30 years ago. You didn’t because you weren’t good enough and didn’t try hard enough. But as tempting as it is to now live your dreams through your kids – you can’t; it’s their life and their choice to make. Yes, world beaters like the Williams sisters were on court for hours and hours at the age of 5, but how many other kids did the same, never got anywhere, and missed out on being kids as a result

Absolutely. Hence my posts on here. I’m trying to gauge from you guys who’ve experienced children before what is the best plan, or not plan etc.

I watched a movie about the junior TDF, I think they were all late teens, cracking cyclists, out of the top 10, I think it was only Pinot who’s name any of us would recognise now from racing. None of the rest ever made it as cyclists.

I want to give my lad the best childhood possible, it just so happens he likes cycling too.
    I got a mail from Yak’s school and we’ll be heading down to QECP for some fun.

theotherjonv

Steve; I only met you once but you seemed pretty level headed and that at this age it’s just supposed to be fun.

Be there for whatever he wants to do – if he likes racing let him, in the meantime just go riding; from other threads it’ll do you good too. Spend some time going at his pace, ride difficult stuff again and again and get better at it. And spend some time seeing if he can keep up with you, just going a bit faster than he naturally would. It’s not training but it’ll be broadly equivalent to sweet spot training if you gauge it right, and’ll just be racing Dad to him.

It’ll only be a few years before he’ll be pacing you while you try and keep up.

weeksy

In his dreams 😆

I’m not past it yet. The days he tries to win is the day he face plants

crosshair
    Free Member

Weeksy, I guess it depends on your definition of ‘best childhood’ doesn’t it. Being allowed to indulge in a passion for cycling and get pushed and challenged beyond your boundaries and obtain a massive sense of self-pride, determination and discipline could be equally as good as being allowed to do whatever you fancied that particular weekend- even if it sometimes meant riding when he initially didn’t feel like it.
    The guys from the TdF documentary may not have made pro cyclists but it doesn’t mean that Cycling didn’t impact their life for the better.

My wife and I probably had the two polar extremes. Her father was a Marine General with a passion for running. Family holidays were spent in midge infested Scottish bogs on Orienteering competitions.

Mine were spent daydreaming around the farm doing as I fancied (usually not a lot) but definitely not being pushed and driven to achieve my potential.

The end result? She is way more determined than I am. Way more focussed, driven, passionate and single minded.
    Now obviously she hates orienteering- and would rather do anything else than that on a spare day but I don’t think it’s fair to say it was a waste of time.

I suppose what I’m trying to get at is, life skills are transferable. Whether he carries on XC racing a month, a year, a decade or becomes a British gold medalist at it, that is not a reflection of what it’s given him.

Also, it’s all quality time together too. If you want him to be a chilled, friendly, kind, generous, relaxed kind of guy like you then perhaps firing him up to be a cut-throat racer isn’t such a good idea anyway 😉

stevextc
    Free Member

I’m not past it yet. The days he tries to win is the day he face plants

speak for yourself mate, I’m already just wondering how long I can keep up without an ebike …

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 215 total)

The topic ‘What discipline for an 8 year old ?’ is closed to new replies.