• This topic has 41 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Sim.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What Digital SLR Camera?
  • handyman153
    Free Member

Hi STW,

I am looking to get abit more into photography (Nothing to serious, just a hobby) but get abit confused with all the different makes and models of cameras out there.

Basically i am looking for something easy to use, but still has all the features needed. And most importantly not overly expensive.
    I know there are a few pretty amazing photographers on this site, so lets here your suggestions…

Also, if anybody has one for sale, let me know 😀

Cheers
    Josh..

igm

Not an SLR but the micro four thirds Panasonic and Olympus offerings are more portable if you want to take them on a bike – not actually a rangefinder but rangefinder style with various changeable lenses.

Of the SLRs Cannon and Nikon rarely disappoint (I went with Nikon as I had some lenses already) – pick the price point you want to bid in at.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I reckon you can't go far wrong with any of the big names – Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony…

The former two probably have the edge in the number of lenses and accessories available, but if you're just starting out that's no big deal – you'll go a long way on the kit lens which comes with any entry-level model. Once you become a bit more discerning, you can start to add prime lenses and quality zooms and build to a second body from the same system.

My basic advice would be to go for a basic model with a decent starter package (a couple of lenses). Any SLR will have all the basic features you'll need and encourage you to explore modes beyond "auto".

I bought myself a basic Sony SLR a couple of years ago and I don't feel I've outgrown it yet.

http://www.dpreview.com is a great source of info.

Mintman
    Free Member

There was a thread about intro type cameras nikon D40 styley ones which would be worth a read. I've got a D40 with a couple of lenses and filters and I wouldn't wish for much more from a beginner DSLR. I guess the downsides are the act that it's a bit bigger than some of the bridge type cameras. Quality of photos will probably be good enough though.

ackie
    Free Member

Canon 550D

Urchinboy
    Free Member

550D is absolutely one of the best out there right now. Amazing value for what it has. Ludicrously good video for the price too.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Seconded for the Canon 550… Far more camera than i can make the most of, but i would recommend buying just the body and a decent lens as the 18-55 kit lens that canon group with it is pretty basic.

ackie
    Free Member

Get a fast 50mm Lens like this for £90 and you will be shallow depth of field heaven. Its sharp and fast (lets in lots of light) and is vast improvement on the zoom that comes with it.
    Although it functions as an 80mm Lens due to the Canon's 1.6 sensor (but i might be getting a bit too technical for you….).

Anyway I've learnt more about photography since I bought a digital SLR 3 months ago than I have in my entire life using Point and shoots and 35mm SLRs. As you can see and correct your mistakes instantly.

Urchinboy is right, the video is amazing. I just worked on an advert for TV which was entirely shot with a Canon 7D which has exactly the same video capabilities as the Canon 550D. So it is very much more than a SLR.

Lord knows what camera's will be capable in next few years!!!!! 😯

samuri
    Free Member

Try them in a shop. Canon's are typically quite small, Nikons are typically quite big. You should decide which you like holding and operating best. After that, they're all the same.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Samuri makes a good point – the way a camera feels in your hand will make a big difference to your enjoyment of using it. I use a Canon 450 at work and just don't like the way it sits in my hand. Sony just felt right when I first picked it up. All very personal though before I get flamed…

_tom_
    Free Member

Canon 350D should be quite cheap now and I've always had good results from it. I have access to a 7D at work but tbh I kinda prefer the 350D just for the way it feels. The kit lens is crap though.

user-removed
    Free Member

What styles of photography are you interested in? Landscape? Social? Sports? Low light?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Panasonic Lumix G1 or G2 if there are no G1's left.

My D300 hasn't moved out the bag (for non pro stuff) since I got the G1.

smaller, less "rob me rob me" to the criminally insane sections of our community, lighter, less poncy looking, excellent results, superb controlability.

If I could get away with using the G1 at a wedding, I would so that's the only time the D300 gets used.

spacecadett
    Free Member

I bought a Sony NEX-5 a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with it. I toyed with the idea of a DSLR but thes size put me off – I just didn't think I would take it biking with me.

I am not a brilliant photographer, I'm just playing really. I wanted more than a compact camera could offer but not the bulk of an SLR & the Sony is fine for me.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I bought a decent 35mm film camera and an 18-50mm lens for under £100, allows me to take wide angle pictures that would be impossible with a compact, or a really expensive DSLR. It's a novel approach if you can stand spending 15p on every shot…

Crell
    Free Member

I am in the "want to learn a bit more about photography" camp, and went through the "which DSLR?" threads and reviews. In the end I went for a Lumix GF1 – the micro 4/3 camera with the zoom rather than "pancake" lens. As said above, it's encouraged me to switch off the Auto mode and start experimenting with the settings to good effect.

yoshimi

Check out Grums photos for what can be achieved with a GF1 – I've got one and so much easier than carrying the DSLR about.

packer
    Free Member

I would get a second hand of refurbished Nikon D40. Can be had for just over £200 these days. You won't regret it.

IA

G1 here too, epic little camera, can be had for much cheapness too. Low end nikons also good and have decent kit lenses.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

I bought a Nikon D40 for £150 with 18-55mm kit lens of a work colleague. I bought a 55-200 VR zoom lens to go with it and I love it to bits.

The D40 has been replaced by the D3000 now but I can't really fault it. It's what I used to take the mountain mayhem pics.

molgrips
    Free Member

Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony…

Don't bother with Nikon and Canon – nice, yes, but too many fanbois pushing the price up (see this thread). Olympus, Sony and the rest are just as good but cheaper. Olympus E series are also noted for being nice and small, and having great compact lenses. The E420 is way the smallest SLR around. Sony are also super-good value for their features.

But the micro 4/3 cameras are even smaller and as good.

molgrips
    Free Member

I bought a decent 35mm film camera

I would never go back to film. It's a nightmare after you've been used to digital!

marsdenman
    Free Member

Try them in a shop. Canon's are typically quite small, Nikons are typically quite big. You should decide which you like holding and operating best. After that, they're all the same.

+1 – many moons ago I was adamant I'd wanted Cannon, went to the shop, held both anon + Nikon, found Canon to small for my liking… if you don't like handling it, you'll not use it…

ackie
    Free Member

but too many fanbois pushing the price up

eh 😕

handyman153
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice, I knew this was a good place to ask..

Anyway, been down to the London Camera Exchange in Derby today, and had a 'feel'. Think its going to be the Canon 30D. I liked how it felt over the nikons, and the olympus's where a tad on the small side.

On another note, i have got a fair few Olympus OM lenses, and i have found adapters on ebay to fit these lenses to Canon cameras, has anybody done this? What results did you get?

Cheers
    Josh..

thehustler
    Free Member

Another SOny fan here, but more because I had a minolta film slr and lenses were transferable, as said above you get alot of camera for the money with sony

grumm
    Free Member

Check out Grums photos for what can be achieved with a GF1 – I've got one and so much easier than carrying the DSLR about.

😀

The G1 is a great deal at the mo – the 14-45 kit lens is really superb. You would have to pay about twice as much to get a lens (on its own) as good from Nikon or Canon imo.

Seeing as no-one else has done it – I'll use the flimsy excuse to post a pic. 🙂

They say the best camera is the on you have with you. i certainly wouldn't have wanted anything bigger/heavier slogging up this with my 6" mincecore machine. 😉

bigrich

also, if your going to write "copyright [your name]" on the photos, do it in a place which isn't easily cropped out.

JCL
    Free Member

Agree with the used D40/D60 recommends. Great little camera. If you have the cash the D90 still stuffs the 550D in low light (mountain biking).

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

The Olympus lenses will only be manual focus if used with an adapter

Depending how much the shop is selling the 30D for, you could probably get a 40D s/hand privately for the same or not much more

My personal choice if I were buying today would be the Pentax K-x, great camera and can be found with kit lens for £399

grumm
    Free Member

also, if your going to write "copyright [your name]" on the photos, do it in a place which isn't easily cropped out.

Yeah I see your point – tbh I just have the watermark as a standard export thing on Lightroom, because I post lots of gig pictures etc on facebook for work – and people keep nicking them

eg – http://arkmag.co.uk/live-review-fate-fell-short/
    http://arkmag.co.uk/live-review-the-kite-festival/

I know they could easily crop it out but I don't want to spoil the picture too much and it's better than nothing.

_tom_
    Free Member

Never fail to be impressed by your pics from the GF1, grum 🙂 now I'm earning I'll finally be able to afford one soon.

grumm
    Free Member

Cheers _tom_ 😀

There seems to be a few coming up for sale s/h at the mo' over on talkphotography.co.uk if you want to save a few pennies.

zokes
    Free Member

I would never go back to film. It's a nightmare after you've been used to digital!

I'm not sure I agree there. Different, yes, but certainly not a nightmare if you use it properly. I was running a slide film through my old Canon (which can be bought for £8 on ebay!) and when it finished, swapped over to my 5D. Whilst there was definitely more detail in the digital shots at high magnification, they just missed the feel of the film – colours just seemed a lot more vibrant

mrmo
    Free Member

Grum, looking at those photos, are they what come out of the camera, with or without a filter or are they lightroom adjusted?

The thing i like about the GF1 is that it will (just) fit in to my jeans pockets. which means i can take it where-ever i feel.

IA

The thing i like about the GF1 is that it will (just) fit in to my jeans pockets

Even with a lens on? Must have big pockets!

grumm
    Free Member

First one is pretty much straight out of the camera RAW file imported into Lightroom and cropped I think. Used a CPL and an ND Grad filter though.

Second one has been tweaked a little in Lightroom

My GF1 doesn't fit in my jeans pockets, but will fairly easily fit in most of jacket pockets – with the 20mm or the 14-45mm.

tootallpaul

I'm just about to get my first DSLR- a Nikon D5000, and wondered what the best thing for converting RAW is- bearing in mind I'm a volunteer, living in Ethiopia and on a limited (non-existent!) budget…

_tom_
    Free Member

I like Lightroom. Alternatively you could set the camera to jpeg mode (I guess?), lose some detail but it saves having to use "special" software!

grumm
    Free Member

Picasa should do it – works with the GF1 raw files anyway – and it's free. I always prefer to shoot RAW if possible.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘What Digital SLR Camera?’ is closed to new replies.