• This topic has 26 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What digital radio and mp3 player for the kitchen.
  • nickjb
    Free Member

Need some music in the kitchen. We currently have a dab radio but the display has broken so we listen to random stations which isn’t ideal. I’d like a new one and maybe one that can play mp3s as well, either from the NAS, a stick or built in memory. Doesn’t need to be mega quality audio just nice enough and not too spendy. Good navigation for the mp3s or maybe phone control would be nice to have. What’s out there? Anything else to consider, is internet radio better/worse than dab?

Stoner
    Free Member

A chrome cast audio?

Then stream from tunein for radio and music from Google

Rubber_Buccaneer

Chromecast is an idea but needs to be plugged into amplified speakers and is not the easiest device to persuade to stream from a NAS as google want you to load all your music to their cloud and stream from there. If you have good internets that is fine though.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Sonos Play 1s and I put one in the kitchen. It’s got an alarm function I’ve set it up to come on automatically at 7am (radio 1, changing to radio 2 at 8 when kids have gone to school) and again at 4:10 for when the kids get back from school.
    As we stream almost everything now it works very well for us. Not had any problems with internet radio while our DAB reception could vary.

Control it through our phones but I’ve also dug an iPod Touch out of the drawer for remote control duties.

May not fit your price though.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I’ve got a Pure Evoke D6 Dab radio which has Bluetooth, works well as a Bluetooth speaker streamed from phone/tablet

nedrapier

amplified speakers

Might be worth throwing one of these into the mix if you’re thinking about using your phone/tablet, playing i’net radio or chromecast.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007VMA6OU Decent little amp for the money.

If you’ve got some speakers hanging around, you’re all set.

nickjb
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m really looking far an all in one box with a display and a few buttons. I don’t want to get into streaming from phones or the like, mostly to make it wife friendly. Something like this I suppose but maybe a few less features and a bit cheaper: http://www.johnlewis.com/roberts-stream-93i-dab-fm-internet-radio/p1525315 edit- maybe this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00L9SU85Y?psc=1

nedrapier

I don’t want to get into streaming from phones or the like, mostly to make it wife friendly

Totally get this, we were bluetoothing phones into a little amp in the bedroom (like that one^), and it’s a faff. Bluetooth on, select the module, wait, press the button on the module if it’s forgotten you, occasional hangups on the stream at peak times.

Now got an old DAB radio lugged in to the amp. Radio stays on, just flick the switch on the amp for toons.

Also means wife doesn’t need to repeat the whole pairing process when I leave the house!

nedrapier

While we’re all here, does anyone know of a cheapish DAB tuner that I could plug into my main hifi?

Basically whatever’s in that Roberts, without the amp, the internet, the speakers, just the receiver module, a station selector and screen, and a line-out.

???

traildog
    Free Member

I just use an active speaker with a wire and plug the phone into it. Very easy to use and far better quality than a DAB radio.

Stoner
    Free Member

FAO: nedrapier I use this in the Landrover.

The GUI/Firmware is a bit shit, but if you just listen to a few stations you can flick between them relatively easily once youve got the hang of it (I use it for 6music, R4 and TMS)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9153219.htm

^ that looks like a slightly updated version of mine, so may be better.

nedrapier

I’ll give that a go. Cheers, Stoner!

Stoner
    Free Member

PS micro USB charger (run it off a 3pin adaptor if needed)

rone

R1 Mk3 Deluxe Bluetooth Radio (graded)

+bluetooth for phone

That’s a graded product, bit cheaper but I’ve not noticed the difference.

I’ve got their speakers – you can have a battery on it which is great for portability.

huckersneck
    Free Member

Bose Soundtouch 10 is what we’ve just got. The sound is impressive, albeit slight boomy on the bass end, but usability is good. Preset buttons on the top mean that you can just push a button to get going, unlike the Sonos 1 which was the rival we considered. Works over wifi or wired network with the phone acting as the controller, so if it is set playing internet radio you can leave the room/go out of normal bluetooth range and return withou the sound stopping. Also does bluetooth and 3.5mm aux in.

nedrapier

stoner – Don’t suppose it’s got a plug for a coax aerial, has it?

Signal’s not great at mine, but I’ve made myself a couple of these for the kitchen and the bedroom with great results: http://www.audiobritain.co.uk/DAB.html

Edit: hmm. linky no worky. coax cable – strip the last 30cm down to the bare wire core, strip the outer off the next 30cm so you’ve got bare braid (tape round the end of the braid to stop it unravelling).

Then make 2 complete 50mm loops in the next section of cable so you’ve got the bare braid, then the bare wire hanging vertically, secure the loops with tape to keep them in place, hang it somewhere with the best signal – e.g. window, then wind on a connector (£2, maplins) to the other end so you can plug into your tuner.

You’ll need the cable long enough that it will reach, obvz, as long as the aerial end is made correctly, the length of cable to the tuner doesn’t seem to matter much.

surfer
    Free Member

Ive also got the Bose Soundtouch 10. Outstanding bit of kit and we have quite a big kitchen. Very impressed with it and use Spotify etc for streaming

woody74

Slight plug for my company here:

Get a Sonos 1 as they have cracking sound and the app that runs on your phone or tablet works really well and connects to a NAS or even just a portable USB drive plugged into your router. Then get one of our FridgePad tablet mounts and attach it to your fridge or a wall. Use an old iPad to tablet and you then have a control centre for all your music and no need to constantly find your phone just when you want to put some music on.

http://www.woodforddesign.com/products/fridgepad-2

Sonos works really really well and so much better than anything else out there. I tried a load of different high end bluetooth speakers and the Sonos was the best. The only issue is that you need Wifi and it doesn’t work with bluetooth so no good as a portable speaker out and about.

allthegear
    Free Member

I want the pegs!

Rachel

Stoner
    Free Member

stoner – Don’t suppose it’s got a plug for a coax aerial, has it?

no, phono lead is the aerial. I have found it’s surprisingly good.

TiRed

Sonos. Size to budget. It just works. Have 1, 3, 5 and a Connect feeding the hi-fi. In a small room the 1 is excellent. It is, however a slippery slope.

TiRed

Sonos. Size to budget. It just works. Have 1, 3, 5 and a Connect feeding the hi-fi. In a small room the 1 is excellent. It is, however a slippery slope.

EDIT: Woody, could you do one for an ipod touch. IPAD is a bit too nice to leave on the fridge all day, but an old ipod touch is a perfect sonos controller. And to think they used to sell a dedicated device.

As an aside, the Room tunes app for blackberry is better than the native sonos app!

woody74

TIRed as a iPod touch is light and small I would just stick a couple of self adhesive magnets on the back.

http://www.first4magnets.com/circular-disc-rod-magnets-c34/adhesive-20mm-dia-x-1-5mm-n42-neodymium-magnet-2kg-pull-p2556

sharkbait
    Free Member

no, phono lead is the aerial. I have found it’s surprisingly good.

Although when I plug it into the audio-in port in my car it stops working – no idea why 🙁

RustySpanner

Sod the budget and get a Roberts 93i.
    I didn’t, as I thought it would be ‘too nice’ for the kitchen.
    Streaming and internet radio, Dab+ too.

Ended up with a Pure Pop Maxi in the kitchen. It sounds good, works fine, but after looking a prodding a good few, the current Pure lineup looks to be a bit cheaply made compared to the older Evoke 4S we also have.

The Roberts looks and sounds really good.
    I’ll get whatever the equivalent is when the Pure dies.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    kcr
    Free Member

While we’re all here, does anyone know of a cheapish DAB tuner that I could plug into my main hifi?

You could do that with the Chromecast Audio, assuming your DAB stations are also broadcasting via the internet, and also have the option to stream other stuff like Spotify or digital music from your phone or PC. I got one last week and it works really well.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What digital radio and mp3 player for the kitchen.’ is closed to new replies.