Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • What did you replace your Octavia estate with…?
  • MoreCashThanDash

So, plans are afoot to possibly replace our 2006, 1.9tdi Octavia estate. Wondering what might be better than a newer, shinier one frankly, so thought I’d involve the Hive mind.

Must be automatic for MrsMC, preferably 6/7 speed as we really like the VAG DSG boxes, despite all the haterz.

Not really any longer than the Octavia, as the new one will have a towbar mounted 4 bike rack stuck on it.

Not really any wider – narrow drive and ease of parking.

Similar boot capacity but could go a bit smaller – needs to take a family of four and their bikes camping, and we don’t travel light 🙄 (Think 8 man tent plus porch extension…though we do have a roof box)

Budget £16k-ish, under 3 years and/or 30k miles

Doesn’t have to be diesel, though we like the lazy low-down grunt

At least 105hp to match what we have already

Estates, MPVs, soft-roaders, bigger hatches all considered, no objection to Beemers or Audis if within budget

What do you suggest we look at?

ElShalimo

Another Octavia estate or Skoda Superb estate (Great car and the 1.8T is better value second hand)

nbt

Couldn’t afford a Superb estate when we replaced our mk1 octavia, got a v50 instead. Similar size outside, much more comfortable, but the boot is tiny for an estate, noticeably smaller than the Octavia

MoreCashThanDash

Friend had a V50, as you say boot is disappointing.

Not convinced by the Superb – arguably bigger than we need, and the extra space always looks like it is in the rear passenger space rather than the boot, although I know the measurements suggest otherwise.

The Superb is the only 4×4 auto in the Skoda range, at least it was when it was launched.

johnnystorm

Struggled to find a nice VRS estate locally so ended up with a Saab 93. Then I finally saw the light and realised I should get what I really wanted. Get a T5 van. The SWB takes up no more space on the road than the Saab and loading it up is a joy.

sc-xc

I just swapped my 2010 SWB T5 for an Octavia VRs estate, and driving is enjoyable again. Don’t miss any extra space, but so much more comfortable, nippy, warm, smooth etc…

Nipper99
    Free Member

I couldn’t find another Octavia estate within budget etc so now have a VW Passat estate, a 2.00 lt tdi. Don’t much like 6 sp gear box but still turns 55 mpg on a run.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Have both an A3 Sportback DSG on the 8P platform (which I love but don’t use so is going) and a Caddy Maxi Life DSG (which I love and use constantly).
    Both have their plus and minus points.
    Both nice to drive.
    Caddy wins on versatility.
    A3 on driving.

mrhoppy

I bought the new Octavia it’s got basically the same boot space but slightly less leg room in the back.

MoreCashThanDash

Quite like the quirkiness of the Caddy, T5s make me go weak at the knees and so do their second prices.

jimw
    Free Member

VW Touran?
    If you don’t need the third row of seats regularly, the boot space is large- shorter but taller than Octavia.
    My father has the 105 ps Diesel which is remarkably economical and not too gutless. A friend has had both the 140 and 170 2.0l Tdi and reckons the 140 is the sweeter engine. Another friend has a 1.4 Tsi petrol, which is the nicest to be driven in as it is so quiet, but they are like hen’s teeth.They are about 25mm shorter than an Octavia estate.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Add tons of storage space, rear bench seat out in seconds, bikes go in without taking wheels out, etc….

rone

Skoda fabia 1.2 tsi.

Still a great sized boot, cheaper to run. Much prefer it but my octy was an older petrol auto so was very greedy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Check out the tfsi engines. Lots of low down grunt too.

MoreCashThanDash

The other car is a 1.2tsi Fabia hatch – great engine, but you can fit three of them inside that infernal tent of ours….

totalshell

replaced mrs tts 1.9 08 octavia 110k miles last week. had it from new chipped in for a fabia estate 1.6tdi all tarted up.. a lot smaller physically mrs loves it easier to park/ reverse etc 105bhp same as octavia 78 mpg vs 44 for me its a bit too small but the tape says it aint so different.. black is not a great color thpugh esp as she has every black option alloys calipers windows every spoiler trim etc etc etc

kcal

The new facelift Octavia is a bit bigger than the Mk II though? Though has more gizmos as standard, and the blue motion or equivalent regenerative fuel economy features.

Went from Saab 900 to Octavia estate Mk II. No difference in size, bigger capacity (estate vs. huge hatchback), better economy (over a 1996 2.0l car…) but about same level of features ..

rickmeister

Our Touran… its just the screaming temple of dull.

tthew

Does a nearly new Seat Leon estate fall into that price range? Or alternatively an Altea XL or Exeo estate. Same engines, transmission chassis but cheaper second hand.

singlespeedstu

Mine is being replace on Friday with a new Suberb estate.
    Good job too as the electrics have started doing weird shit and winding the windows down while it’s parked up and showing a light bulb out warning when the bulbs are fine.
    It has done 140 000 in four years though.

spacemonkey

Test drove a Superb estate last year and was seriously impressed – an astonishing amount of car for the money. Opted against in the end as it was too big for the missus.

Fast forward 12 months and I’m now the very happy owner of a 3 yr old Passat Highline TDI loaded with extras. On 18s it feels a lot more sorted/planted than the standard 17s, and the combination of comfort/ICE/space/performance make it a much better overall package than I was expecting. Only other car in the frame at the time was Ocatvia vRS estate, but couldn’t find one I wanted anywhere remotely close to home.

EDIT: Have recently spent a fair bit of time driving a new highly specced C220 … Awesome performance and driver involvement but spoiled for me by a completely OTT and clunky/unintuitive ICE/media/nav system. Loads of customisation and data available but clumsily put together. And the screen is basically some kind of 9″ tablet stuck onto the dashboard as am afterthought. Fun to drive but irritatingly irksome.

spacemonkey

Budget £16k-ish, under 3 years and/or 30k miles

IMO forget limiting yourself to 30k miles. I’d much rather pick up an excellent condition FSH one with 75k+ for £2k less and spend a few quid on cambelt/water pump change.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Changed our 4×4 Octavia estate for a Fiat Qubo Trekking. 95bhp and comes with electronic locking diff. Loads of space due to its height and great for carrying bicycles/dogs. Appreciate it’s not got the build quality but I kinda like it!

molgrips
    Free Member

Good job too as the electrics have started doing weird shit and winding the windows down while it’s parked up and showing a light bulb out warning when the bulbs are fine.

Water ingress into the trailer control module. Pipe popped off rear window washer perhaps…

stumpy01

Civic estate?

isto
    Free Member

I bought the new Octavia it’s got basically the same boot space but slightly less leg room in the back.

The new one has more boot space and more legroom as they extended the wheelbase. Would definately recommend the new model if you can get one in budget.

singlespeedstu

Pipe popped off rear window washer perhaps…

Rear washer works fine and TBF as it’s going on Friday I’m not that bothered what’s causing it. 🙂

monkeychild
    Free Member

Civic estate

I like that. I didn’t realise they did one.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Replaced my old Octy a few years back with a T5.

Several cars later I’m on a 10 year old 320d Touring. My 1h30 country lane and minor A road commute killed me in the van; thankfully it’s no longer a daily commute. Bike rack goes on top. Removable towbar if I want to carry lots of bikes. The driving experience is great. Love it. I’ve just had all outstanding jobs done and, save for a turbo (£800), should it go, there’s little to go wrong for the next two years.
    Prob will go for a 330i Touring next. Quick but economical. Don’t miss the van at all.

downgrade
    Free Member

What the Civic estate looks like

nickjb
    Free Member

Sounds like your ideal car is your current car. £16k under budget

Trekster

rickmeister – Member
    Our Touran… its just the screaming temple of dull

Why?

Had a 140/2.0ltr Tdi for 5yrs and loved it, would have another. Traded up to a Sorrento for caravan towing duties.

chewkw
    Free Member

downgrade – Member

What the Civic estate looks like

I want one but I bet the insurance is not cheap … 😆

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ve been running a4 for my own use as opposed to work for about 10 years, it’s getting on a it now so just bought a fabia 1.4tdi which is just as big inside and seems comfortable both get 50mpg around town and I haven’t take the fabia on a run yet but will be happy if it matches the Audis 65ish mpg.

brokenbanjo

Got a Focus Estate which has 115bhp and 6 gears. Does everything I want, fitting me and two mates and bikes inside with all ancillaries. Nice to drive, cheap road tax and DAB radio.

Cougar

No-one mentioned the mighty Mondeo yet? Might be nominally larger than the Octy, but probably not much in it.

mrhoppy

isto – Member
    The new one has more boot space and more legroom as they extended the wheelbase. Would definately recommend the new model if you can get one in budget.

I was poorly referring to the recommendation of a Superb. New octy has the same boot space as the current superb but less leg room.

sc-xc

Yep. My FIL has the superb estate. The rear passenger leg room is huge. Octavia plenty big enough for us.

itsallgood

Seat leon estate

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks for all the ideas. Leon estate looks a definite possibility. But looks like another Octavia is on the cards.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘What did you replace your Octavia estate with…?’ is closed to new replies.