Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What did you get up to when you were 17?
  • lemonysam
    Free Member

I could tell you but I’d probably earn a ban. What I didn’t do is this:
    http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/01/paper-bowing-airplane/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucaiaconistewart/

Inspired by high school architecture class where he was assigned to create simple paper models using cut paper manilla folders, San Francisco-based designer Luca Iaconi-Stewart went home to begin construction on an extremely ambitious project: a 1:60 scale reproduction of a Bowing 777 using some of the techniques he learned in class. That was in 2008, when Iaconi-Stewart was just a junior in high school.

Unbelievably, the project continues five years later as he works on and off to perfect every aspect of the plane. Relying on detailed schematics of an Air India 777-300ER he found online, he recreates the digital drawings in Adobe Illustrator and then prints them directly onto the paper manilla folders. But everything has to be perfect. So perfect, that Iaconi-Stewart says he’s actually built two airplanes, the one you see here and the numerous failed attempts including three tails, two entire sets of wings, and multiple experiments to ensure everything is just so.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Wow

Jamie
    Free Member

I could tell you but I’d probably earn a ban. What I didn’t do is this:

Well, you have certainly piqued my interest.

scaredypants

Bowing 777

looks OK to me, but then it’s resting on the floor just now

ThePinkster

That’s incredible.

When I was 17 I was just getting ready to go to art school and enjoying all the things associated with it.
    😀

5thElefant
    Free Member

Hasn’t he missed the due date?

bearnecessities

Bet he cocks up painting it.

johndoh
    Free Member

Where is the conveyor belt?

paladin

At 17 I was in the merchant navy enjoying myself immensely in exotic places.

Can’t remember exactly, but I don’t think Manila folders were involved…

falkirk-mark

my 18 YO son made an advent calendar out of a 24 can case of Stella and an inky. Top that then.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m thinking one of us missed the point of being 17 years old…..

But fair play to him. I’m guessing he is single though?

john_drummer
    Free Member

I guess he doesn’t have time to be anything but single

brakes
    Free Member

I was either drunk, hungover, driving my car or doing differentiation/ integration at college.
    sometimes all four at once.

I think I might have tried my first and last airfix kit around that time. It was a Monte Carlo Mini and it was more glue and black paint than anything else.

benji
    Free Member

Exploring the countryside with an ordnance survey map and my trusty kona lava dome, and that was 23 years ago.

Drac

Hobbled around on crutches, walking stick/s and partial weight bared for about 9 months in total. I’ve had better years.

PMK2060

Personally I can think of better things to do with my time but its each to their own.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Getting p###ed,working as an apprentice engineer,chasing anything in a skirt,riding my muddy fox around the woods generally in that order although by the time I was twenty I was going round the world fixing big f### off Diesel engines 😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sorry to be dim and idle as I can’t be arsed to read the link, what is it made of?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Credit where credit is due, that’s pretty good.

At seventeen, I was playing “stinky finger” with Jane Kelly in my local park, which in reflection was also quite an achievement.

wiggles
    Free Member

Discovering the ermm…. ‘wonders’ of the internet, unfortunately for my curtains I hadn’t discovered the wonders of tissues.

kimbers

see the Warhammer thread!

jonba
    Free Member

A levels, while planning (and successfully pulled off) a canoeing trip down the Mackenzie River. 30 something days and over a thousand miles down the tenth largest river in the world.

chambord
    Free Member

Washing pots and spending the money on weed and petrol

cloudnine
    Free Member

17 was my really wild year of drinking, partying, surfing all the time, bunking off school, also sank a speedboat, went for a joyride in a V8 corvette, lots of lovely girls, got caught doing donuts on a front lawn in a borrowed pick up, discovered downhill speed skateboarding, riding too fast around coastpaths on my rigid spesh, stupid cliff diving one upmanship and somehow managed to stay in school and scrape through A levels to go to university. Don’t recall making any scale models that year.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

At 17 I topped off my years of shocking bad teenage behaviour by ending up pregnant and homeless – nothing like setting yourself up for some difficult times ahead!

Edit I was actually 16 – but then had my beautiful daughter at 17 – think I did quite a good job of her too, I can also claim to have been model making. I didnt realise it at the time though!

DezB
    Free Member

Going to Bauhaus gigs and enjoying time with my girlfriend.
    I’d grown out of model kits by that age.

Jamie
    Free Member

Sorry to be dim and idle as I can’t be arsed to read the link, what is it made of?

I’d love to tell you, Wrighty, but I can’t be arsed.*

*..but for you:

Inspired by high school architecture class where he was assigned to create simple paper models using cut paper manilla folders, San Francisco-based designer Luca Iaconi-Stewart went home to begin construction on an extremely ambitious project: a 1:60 scale reproduction of a Boeing 777 using some of the techniques he learned in class. That was in 2008, when Iaconi-Stewart was just a junior in high school.

Unbelievably, the project continues five years later as he works on and off to perfect every aspect of the plane. Relying on detailed schematics of an Air India 777-300ER he found online, he recreates the digital drawings in Adobe Illustrator and then prints them directly onto the paper manilla folders. But everything has to be perfect. So perfect, that Iaconi-Stewart says he’s actually built two airplanes, the one you see here and the numerous failed attempts including three tails, two entire sets of wings, and multiple experiments to ensure everything is just so.

The paper plane-making wunderkind hopes to finally wrap up the project this summer and isn’t quite sure what will happen next, but thinks an even larger 20-foot model could be an interesting next step. So far there are no plans for the completed model to go anywhere, but it would look great in an aeronautical museum or in the lobby of a certain aircraft manufacturer’s lobby. Just some suggestions. All photos courtesy Luca Iaconi-Stewart.

-Sauce

hammyuk
    Free Member

Learning electrical/mechanical engineering so I could be taught how to use those skills to blow sh*t up…… 🙂
    Oh – and “enjoying” time on leave 😆

DezB
    Free Member

You’re not telling me that little man (or the giant hand) in the 3rd pic is made of paper?

thebrowndog
    Free Member

adjustablewench 🙂 Saw your picks from T&B. Wish I’d made it.

At 17 I thought manilla folders were called vanilla folders and the idea of making a plane out of them never occurred to me as I was too busy doing what wiggles was doing but not to my curtains. I also thought that a cappuccino was people mispronouncing cup of chino and that the chino was the froth on top. I’m way smarter now but.

tang
    Free Member

A levels, living in the woods with single track to the door, smoking weed and having lots of sex. That model is amazing but to be honest I would not trade that year.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

@tbd – it was a great weekend, third t&b ive done and all have had fantastic weather (yes chuffing cold and a bit breezy but im happy with that given the amount of rain we’d had leading up to it) can thoroughly recommend it 🙂

I think I would have been more into biking at 17 if I had singletrack from my door and hadn’t been living in the godforsaken hole that is the lincolnshire swamps fens – as it was there was little to do as a teenager apart from drink and get up to no good

Not sure id have jumped at the chance of manilla envelopes however bored I got!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I was doing acid at 17.

crikey
    Free Member

I was probably snogging your mum.

CountZero

It was a long time ago, but the statute of limitations has probably run out anyway…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Going to church.

However, by 18 it was all of the above, except the cars and the curtains. I liked my curtains, closed.

Scapegoat

I was working in Switzerland for a couple of weeks before going home with one of the volunteers, helping her to harvest her homegrown and discover what I’d been missing out on to date. Then hitched round Germany for another couple of weeks before I went to visit a girl I’d met the year before on a farm and found out why people always went on about how hairy 1970s German women were.

alpin
    Free Member

if you were to walk through on of Munich’s parks or along the river bank in summer you would see for yourself that it is something not confined to the 70s…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I was a good boy at 17. Studying hard to re-sit my O-levels at college.

I didn’t really go off the rails until I was 18.

bikebouy
    Free Member

17?
    Hmmm.. sailing. I went around the Med in a 45ft’er with two mates (the boat belonged to one of my mates fathers). Started in Punta Alla and ended in Malta, took 5mths off before Uni, had a cracking time. Spent all my savings, ended up working as a rigger in a boat yard to gain enough money to continue our journey. My mates were loaded so whilst I was working they were chatting up Wiminz and enticing them back to our desheveled flea pit of a boat.
    Skinny dipping became the normal pursute (hairsute) 😉
    Eating & drinking Grappa and Melon topped with Parma Ham was the diet for pretty much the whole trip (cheap and plentiful).
    Never saw a tube of toothpaste the whole time we were out, as for washing well we found a couple of homes were invited back to that “offered” to do the washing whilst we bimbled around the towns and villages with the Girls we picked up along the way 😉
    Mate (1) married a girl he met in Sicily (still married) Mate (2) works down the road from me now.. Occasionally we meet up with a couple that we still know… all these years later.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘What did you get up to when you were 17?’ is closed to new replies.