Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What did you buy your dad for his last birthday?
  • 40mpg

After inspiration for the man who wants for nothing (no pressure!)

Jerome
    Free Member

A CD.
    Magazine subscription..
    Experience day – driving ??
    Advanced driving lessons ??

matthewjb
    Free Member

Books?

I bought my Dad some biographies. Does he follow a football team?

Sorry it's a bit lame. I find presents for my Dad really hard to choose.

soulrider
    Free Member

it was his 60th.. and I got him a top notch bottle of single malt…

then help him drink it

kimbers

a tomtom XL

which he always swore he didnt want but he now loves (go for the XL better for older/clumsier types)

tartanscarf

I usually take him on a day out. So far been watching red kites (plus lunch and a pint), out on the Waverley steamship (plus lunch and a pint) and out to Loch Ossian etc etc.

Do the same with the nieces at Christmas rather than buying them sh1te. Pantomine rather than dad friendly stuff though 🙂

TS

bassspine
    Free Member

me and my brother were going to get Dad a to restore because he had one for his first car… keep him occupied for a few months/years fixing it up.

GW
    Free Member

steal a present he got from someone else and never used off him and wrap it, always worked for me. 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Leicester Tigers shirt.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A large bunch of flowers. Sounds daft and I don't do it often but he did once complain to me that mum got flowers and he never did. so when stuck thats what I get him.

Other common things are books – usually sporting biographies or political ones

skidartist
    Free Member

Mine has been making quite a committed effort to loose weight so I bought him vouchers to shop for new clothes as suddenly there isn't anything in his wardrobe that fits him anymore

MoreCashThanDash

Took him to a football match – think it was Derby v Barnsley – he loves the game and the atmosphere, it was just the nearest match to his birthday.

i_am_JC
    Free Member

Queen singstar and wireless mics for the PS3.

Our cousins brought it round at christmas and he loved it. Definitely the easiest present buying in a few years. Usually ends up with a CD/ book/ bottle of whisky and a toblerone.

hels
    Free Member

Jackie Stewart's autobiography. My dad is really into cars, and is dyslexic, like Jackie Stewart so I thought he might relate. Anyway nobody ever buys him books and he is such a nice guy he really made the effort to read it (according to my mum – I cleared it with her first) and loved it. Pleased with that one, Dads are so hard to buy for.

white101

new screwdriver and plier set. He's a practical kinda guy my dad, but his garage is full of rusty old tools that he swears by. Until he scratched the dinning room table this year repairing a leaf and my mother went spare.

mogrim

One of those Experience Box things, a golf lesson from a PGA pro.

wonnyj
    Free Member

The Friday Afternoon Hammer

finbar
    Free Member

tails
    Free Member

Its my dads 65th birthday today, I got him a card and some chocolate buttons as he has dementia and can't eat much solid food. Whether he likes them or not I don't know.

Perhaps just taking him out for supper or maybe go do something funny together the zoo for example, i say this as I know now I'd pay handsomely for one fun/enjoyable day with my dad.

Sandwich

Electronic vernier calipers from Aldi, he's a toolmaker by trade. My mum once bought him a pressurised grease gun for Christmas, pleased as punch with both gifts!

cinnamon_girl

My Dad is "celebrating" his 89th birthday at the weekend. He has dementia and has recently taken a turn for the worse. Reckon I'll just take him a small bottle of whisky, the nursing home are happy to oblige.

tails – I do sympathise. The zoo sounds a good idea if your dad is up to it. A change of scene can work wonders.

Dementia sucks. 😥

Edit: make the most of time spent with your parents whilst they are able to enjoy life.

aP
    Free Member

Interesting music, good solid book and a Michelin 2* lunch.
    Dementia at 65! must be hard, mine will be 80 this year – slowing down but still active.

MrOvershoot

Nothing! Poor sod was dying and it didn't seem important in the grand scheme of things.
    Think I told him I was engaged but as the wedding was almost a year away he knew he would not see it 🙁

He was only 61

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Nothing.

He died 6 years ago.

I miss having this dilema every year..

😥

Taff
    Free Member

Bassspine – is that a frog eye sprite? If so that was one of my Dads first cars.

Got my old man B and Q vouchers last year as he was rebuilding his workshop and wanted bits. They kept him happy so I obliged. Year before I got him a digital photo frame and put loads of family photos – past and present. One of the best present I've ever given I think… only took 27 years!

Taff
    Free Member

Oh yes. Something I've been looking for for years was the J R Hartley book. Like gold dust and don't have that sort of money at the moment

HitchinBoro
    Free Member

It's my Dad's 60th in December so my wife and I are taking him to Berlin for the weekend, which is somewhere he wants to visit but my Mam has never really fancied (It's also my favourite city in the world too).

Should be good, bloody freezing, but good.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What did you buy your dad for his last birthday?’ is closed to new replies.