Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • what did Enduro riders do before Enduro ?
  • iainc

seems to be a really quickly growing part of riding, and the numbers of threads on here, posts on Facebook get more extensive daily, coupled with the cover to cover magazine coverage of Enduro bikes and kit.

Is this just natural evolution of trail centres/competitive nature of folk and will it continue to grow ?

Not my cup of tea, but totally supportive of it, especially as it means that the more natural easy stuff I ride is quieter now 🙂

jam-bo

not win at XC
    not win at DH

legspin
    Free Member

Play golf

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    weeksy

Is this just natural evolution of trail centres/competitive nature of folk and will it continue to grow ?

I think essentially speaking that’s it.

People enjoy going downhill, it’s a human adrenaline thing… but they don’t want massive gap jumps etc as their abilities don’t allow it.

They also don’t necessarily want the full on madness of XC racing for an hour….

So…. Enduro is bloody ideal for many !

chakaping
    Free Member

not win at XC
    not win at DH

I don’t win at enduro either.

Tracey Moseley did alright though and Jared Graves wasn’t bad at 4X.

😉

jimjam
    Free Member

am bo – Member

not win at XC
    not win at DH

Win at DH.

Win at 4x. Win at BMX.

Win at XC

legend
    Free Member

Tracey Moseley did alright though and Jared Graves wasn’t bad at 4X

yeah but 4x was for people that couldn’t win at BMX

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s for those that found DH too mental and XC too boring.

convert

Is enduro riding not essentially timed red/black trail centre riding? Well the sort of trail centres where you winch yourself up a forest track to the top and plummet down something a bit more interesting rather than the ones where you go up and down constantly.

mtbel
    Free Member

Enduro Racers raced DH or XC or both

Enduro riders minced around trail centres and rode XC badly on full sus bikes calling it AM

BoardinBob

Is enduro riding not essentially timed red/black trail centre riding?

Not any I’ve done

wrecker
    Free Member

There are no enduro riders. Enduro is racing.
    It’s like going for a F1 drive.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

GNAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR!

iainc

so back to the question though, what did the Enduro Riders do before the organised events – I don’t really mean the top notch world tour racers, more the loads of folks posting up about Innerleithen at the weekend etc ?

warpcow
    Free Member

A lot of people involved in local Enduros were previously involved in what we called ‘bike rally’ events that had been running in one form or another since the early 00s. The riders at the pointy end of those new enduros, and often the rallies, do well at national, and in some cases international, DH and XC events too.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I just rode my bike up a hill, have some cake/chat, and blast back down again 😛

cultsdave
    Free Member

Most “Enduro” riders went out and rode their bikes for fun. Most still do, they just happen to enjoy the enduro race format. No-one I know classes themselves as an “Enduro rider” they just ride mountain bikes and take part in the races.

The Scottish series certainly is a good bit harder than that!

wrecker
    Free Member

I think someone needs to do some research…….

legend
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

Well if you’re going for a drive in your F1 car….

wrecker
    Free Member

Well if you’re going for a drive in your F1 car….

Just to get some milk and eggs?

mtbel
    Free Member

Iain. it’s a dumb question unless you intend asking each and every rider who’s raced at an organised Enduro event.

You’ll also find there are folk who have been riding and building the very trails Enduros are raced on years before mtb gravity Enduro was even thought up

bigjim

I like that

wilko1999
    Free Member

Just seems like a way of turning a normal mountain bike ride into a race to me.

iainc

mtbel – Member
    Iain. it’s a dumb question unless you intend asking each and every rider who’s raced at an organised Enduro event.

You’ll also find there are folk who have been riding and building the very trails Enduros are raced on years before mtb gravity Enduro was even thought up

I didn’t think it was dumb, I was asking based on the rapid growth in popularity of it locally. Is it fulfilling a previously unfulfilled gap in what is available, or is it as you suggest an evolution for those who ‘have been riding and building the very trails’ ?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nothing about Enduro is new.

There has been Enduro races in Europe for years, even here in the UK there was the “Kona Mash-Up” at Afan in 2007 / 2008 – the format was simple – you had to ride the whole course, but you only got timed on the fast / fun bits.

It’s a race format of the type of riding lots of people have been doing since the dawn of MTBing – namely plodding up a great big hill chatting to your mates, then giving it some helmet on the way back down again.

There have also been ‘big trail bikes’ for many years.

The only New, new thing I’ve witnessed about the ‘new’ Enduro thing is wearing goggles with XC lids, odd one that – but mostly I think a lot of the hype is coming from the World Enduro Series.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Personally….
    “Before” I did Enduro is quite a while ago, Avalanche Enduro in Kielder 2009 was my first, many on here have done earlier than that!
    Prior to that I had 3 or 4 years with no competitive riding, I’d sold my DH bike due to cost and the limited amount of riding for the time spent on it, and I had no interest in XC racing. I really wanted some competitive riding but until the Avalanche guys came over here there was nothing that suited what I, or my wallet, was after.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Just seems like a way of turning a normal mountain bike ride into a race to me.

So basically no different to any other form of cycle sport?
    DH racers who for a “normal ride” go shuttling DH trails on DH bikes.
    XC racers who for a “normal ride” go on fast rides on carbon hardtails.
    Road racers who for a “normal ride” go riding on tarmac roads
    Track racers who for a “normal ride” go to the local velodrome and ride around in circles?

andeh

Well, the Innerleithen round at the weekend was definitely held near some red trail centre riding 🙄

kevduckworth

I’ve been “enduroing” since 1990 – but back then we called it mountain biking, and we called 29ers Hybrids …

If enduroing is riding with your mates and blasting the fun gravity sections does it matter what its called?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Not sure what tone you are using in your reply there Doug. But to quantify my post, I should have said, ‘seems like a way of turning my normal sort of mountain bike rides into a race to me’

I was going to go on and say that’s why enduro racing appeals to me as I have a big competitive streak and can ride the sort of climbs/descents I normally do, in a race format.

MSP

Nothing about Enduro is new.

But bikes have been improving, IMO it is the improvement in bikes that has opened up the possibility of the race format, and increased the related back country challenging riding. Of course it is fashionable to criticise the popular and claim you can ride it all on a rigid tricycle.

I don’t see the link to trail centres, they are largely a british thing, for me it is opening up alpine trails. I am doing the trans-provence guided tour this year, and have plans to do the trans savoie, mont blanc tour. some back country riding in Finale etc over the next year or so.

ton

the group of blokes I used to ride with (sweary northerners) have always ridden what I think is near to a enduro format.
    nice pootle uphill talking boolax then race each other down the hill, the rougher the route down the better.
    I reckon most grouips of riders have always done this.
    I see enduro as a bit of a money making thing, but also, from what I am told, to have a chilled weekends riding pitting yourself against other blokes. all good fun.

mtbel
    Free Member

Spot on. it’s a massive money making thing Ton. As was the image of freeride and AM etc. when they were conceived.

Similar story with the Road Sportive phenomenon.

ton

yes.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Raced DH, didn’t have a mortgage, wasn’t self employed.

To be honest I do see it a bit as DH-lite as I need to try to be a bit more sensible these days.

As above #enduro is a fun race format, nothing more… unless you buy into the marketing.

tang
    Free Member

To be a really good Enduro racer you need DH skilz and the engine of a XC rider(Having ridden with EWC/trans race top pro, I know!). Thats me out!

mtbel
    Free Member

All decent DH racers have very good fitness these days anyway

dragon
    Free Member

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Not sure what tone you are using in your reply there Doug.

Tongue in cheek, as it sounded like you were one of the moaners, but second post realised you were being positive 😀

legend
    Free Member

mtbel – Member

You know better than that gwel! 5min fitness doesn’t necessarily mean smash out several runs over 50km fitness

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘what did Enduro riders do before Enduro ?’ is closed to new replies.