Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What DH chain?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Going to get a 10 speed road cassette for my DH wheels and will get a new chain too. What’s the best chain? Ideally with a split link so no Shimano..
    Would an MTB-specific chain be stronger than a road chain?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

The best sram you can afford?

MSP

Shimano with a sram link.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Deveron53
    Free Member

Sram mountain bike specific chain. Get the most expensive that doesn’t have hollow pins or perforated side plates. The cheaper, heavier chains are the strongest, up to a point!

jam1e
    Free Member

No chain obviously:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inp9AY57jdg[/video]

P-Jay
    Free Member

Any KMC or SRAM chain, in fact KMC because you can re-use the powerlinks which is handy if you need to do a between-runs fix on something that needs the chain off.

Weight isn’t really a concern, tiny savings over-all on a heavy bike, it will last ages too, it’s not like you’re sat there for hours on end spinning away.

prezet
    Free Member

Shimano with a sram link.

+1

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Road cassette I’d use a road chain, they’re a smidgen (0.1mm actualy)narrower.

+1 for KMC, and I’m not sure they distinguish between road/mtb, which probably proves the narrowness is irelavent.

I still think 6 speed (or even fewer) would be better for DH than 10 speed. You’re going to be changing gears a lot with an 11-23. Just get an SLX 11-36 cassette, bin the biggest sprockets and fit a longer limit screw, fill the empty space on the freehub with singlespeed spacers. You’d still get 11-22, but you could shift it in 2 presses not 3-4.

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback. What about this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-ultegra-6700-10sp-cassette-chain/rp-prod126504

Seems like a decent price with a well reviewed chain. Could go 105 with the same chain for £5 less.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What DH chain?’ is closed to new replies.