Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • what degreaser (non aerosol)
  • Leon
    Free Member

I always used finish line, but it’s pricey, so last time I bought Halfords own brand citrus degreaser, and it was rubbish.

cookeaa

I recommend flamingo urine with a dash of lime cordial…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I use the halfords and find it fine – its what I was going to suggest

Onzadog
    Free Member

Jizer

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the Halfords one exactly?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve some weldtite degreaser, seems to do the job.

Usualy I dont bother though, just spray cassette/mech and chainring with WD40 untill the gunk washes off. Wash as normal with soapy water, do the drivetrain last with a stiff brush and one of those cassette cleaning brushes, let it drip dry whilst having a cuppa, repeat WD40 aplication to disperse any remaining water, then spray the cassette, chainrings, mechs etc with silicone/ptfe lube and appying whatever lubes to hand to the chain.

vorlich
    Free Member

GUNK – but the Eco version.

Leon
    Free Member

for those asking, my experience with finish line is “put dirty chain in tub with degreaser, shake vigorously, rinse, gleaming chain, inside and out”. Experience with halfords was repeat twice, and go at it with a brush in between.

flamingo urine works well, but is more expensive than finish line, and tends to attract Hyena.

Does that fenwicks stuff really work like a degreaser? I’m looking for something that really clears the filth

boxfish
    Free Member

Doh…should’ve read the thread properly

ourmaninthenorth

Finish line is ace, but agree on the cost. I’ve never had the stomach to pay out for the large container.

Fenwicks FS1 isn’t *quite* as good, but it is pretty good and is much more widely available.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Hammerite Metal Degreaser in squirty bottle thing – works superb and only costs a quid from my local cheap shop!!

neilforrow
    cheers_drive

I’ve always found the Halfords stuff good. Much better than the Gunk spray which was only slightly better than water.

Leon
    Free Member

I’ve actually gone for this:

http://www.travena.co.uk/citrus_degreaser.htm

Which I’ve seen mentioned in a few places. I’ve gone halves with a mate, so it’s not too expensive a mistake if it’s rubbish. I will report back.

neilferther
    Free Member

Elbow grease, 99p from the 99p shop, works just fine, smells of citrus and is water soluable.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Swarfega works well too. Used it before Fenwicks.

Gunz
    Free Member

I second the Swarfega stuff. Costs £7 and makes 250l.

argoose
    Free Member

White spirits and a brush

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Kerosene (heating oil), free from my mum. Or under a £1 a litre bought.

nick1962
    Free Member

+1 for Elbow Grease.Really does the job better than any of the proprietary citrus degreasers I have tried.I splash out and buy mine for a £1.00 from Asda.Not with the cleaning stuff but in the £1.00 shelf.Best thing I’ve used for cleaning my hands afterwards too.
    http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/catalog/sectionpagecontainer.jsp?skuId=910000048406&departmentid=1214921923802&aisleid=1214958931380&startValue=&referrer=cookiesDetecting

schnor
    Free Member

IPA from ebay, you can get 1L for around £7. Or +1 for kerosene – for some reason though I can’t use it anymore now as it kills my hands *shrug*

Scapegoat

Gunk Green.

psychobiker
    Free Member

Acetone.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘what degreaser (non aerosol)’ is closed to new replies.