Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 178 total)
  • What defines a 'Supercar'
  • moshimonster
    Free Member

IMO you don’t draw the line based on performance at all, that’ll always be changing. You can dismiss the M3 GTS out of hand because it’s based on a coupe. A GT3, awesome as it is, is (just) a track focused 911 regardless of how fast it is.

This is the problem with trying to define something that is arbitrary. It just becomes totally pointless.

moshimonster
    Free Member

The vast majority of my customers back then bought a 430, or a Gallardo or 911 GT2/3/RS or whatnot, spent 6 months not sleeping at night worrying about it and “got out of it” – they’d lose £20k – £40k in the process and in return got to spend the rest of their life telling people about the time they had a Ferrari.

The ones who kept them and changed them for another one a few years later fell into 2 groups, the ones who kept them in their garage and looked at them and did 2000 miles a year and the ones who spent the summer weekends cruising around at 20mph desperately trying to look nonchalant as they looked for people looking at them.

I think your view might be slightly skewed from working in finance and perhaps by how you would like to perceive owners of expensive cars. I don’t have any finance on my cars and don’t mind driving them at all. Certainly haven’t lost any sleep over a car. Friends who have much more expensive cars than I don’t worry about them either. But again they don’t need finance to buy them. If you go to a typical track day, you’ll see plenty of exotic machinery being thrashed around by people who don’t fall into any of your stereotypical groups above.

nickc

The Lexus IFA is the exception that proves the rule.

no, it isn’t, it fails the “will it start?” rule for a kick off.

TheFlyingOx

No Nissan, Ford, Lexus, Honda car can ever be a supercar. (no mainstream manufacturer, in other words)

What would you class the Ford GT40 as then? Or the apparently-imminent Honda NSX? The Lexus has been covered, and that most definitely is a supercar by any definition of the word.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Would far rather have THIS than a Ferrari or any other Supercar, Ferrari performance with room for 2-3 bikes in the back. In fact I’d rather have one of these over almost any other car. Absolute bargain too, and £14k buys you a good one.

Very predictable but hardly the same driving experience. Apart from the straight-line grunt, they’re actually pretty dull to drive compared to even modest sportscars.

jimjam
    Free Member

moshimonster

This is the problem with trying to define something that is arbitrary. It just becomes totally pointless.

That’s just like, your opinion man.

rebel12
    Free Member

Riding mate of mine has one, shat it’s gearbox 2 months after her bought it and cost him 3 grand to fix – perhaps they’re supercars after all

Sounds unlucky. Better than loosing 3-4 grand in depreciation during the first year of ownership on say a new Mondeo or Passat though.

Apart from the straight-line grunt, they’re actually pretty dull to drive compared to even modest sportscars.

Oh I don’t know, have driven one and it’s docile when you’re not in the mood and a raging animal when you are. Does understeer a little but nothing that can’t be easily sorted with a few suspension tweaks. Appreciate not quite as lively as a TVR or other RWD stuff, but it’s unlikely to send you heading for the undergrowth at the merest hint of rain. You couldn’t use most super cars every day now could you?

A friend of mine owned a TVR Chimera and a Mini Cooper S. The TVR was his dream car, but which did he enjoy driving most – yep, the Cooper S as the performance was far more useable day to day.

nickc

Neither, the GT40 is too old. the Honda NSX too easy to drive, and fails the “mainstream” and the “will it start” rules.

No Japanese car will ever really be a supercar, as fundamentally they don’t understand the rules.

Supercars have to be mental. you can’t drive them sensibly, you can’t see out of them, they don’t start, and they have to be uncomfortable, they have to be ridiculously overpriced and impractical. If you could drive it in the wet, it isn’t a supercar.

Steve77
    Free Member

no, it isn’t, it fails the “will it start?” rule for a kick off.

All modern supercars fail that rule.

jimjam
    Free Member

The Flying Ox – Member

No Nissan, Ford, Lexus, Honda car can ever be a supercar. (no mainstream manufacturer, in other words)

nickc

None of those are supercars.

All fail the mainstream manufacturer* rule

* especially Datsun

next

nickc

All modern supercars fail that rule.

some Lambos will cook you alive if you don’t get out of them quick enough….

and they don’t, with dull regularity

LoCo
    Free Member

The merc looks like a kitcar, is there mr2 chassis under there? 😀

jimjam
    Free Member

nickc – Member

* especially Datsun

Lamborhini and Buggati owned by Volkswagen. Ferrari owned by Fiat. Even the ultimate supercar makers technically don’t conform to any of Nickc’s criteria.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

* especially Datsun

next

Total garbage.

If Honda produced this in road going trim, it would have every right to be termed a supercar.

nickc

Your opinion is wrong, but don’t let it worry you, if you think a Datsun/Nissan is supercar material, you don’t get it.

It’s a racing car made by Honda. Fails the “will it start” and “mainstream” rule

I don’t make the rules, that’s just how it is.

TheFlyingOx

the GT40 is too old

It ceased production in 2006, unless you want to be a picky so-and-so and claim that, technically, that was a Ford GT.

So if that’s too old, so is the F40. And at this point your criteria falls flat on its face, trousers round ankles revealing frilly knickers, right into a freshly laid cow pat. Mouth open.

thomthumb
    Free Member

mainstream manufacturer

Lamborghini = Audi = VW = Bugatti

I’m not sure this holds up.

I kind of agree about the R8, but the Bugatti is a supercar – no doubt in my mind….

nickc

F40 is too old. Not in production now, not a supercar.

Supercars are the future, not the past.

slowoldman

If Honda Mercedes produced this in road going trim, it would have every right to be termed a super car.

So racing cars don’t count.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

…………..

Mercedes produced this in road going trim, it would have every right to be termed a super car.

Fairly hard to produce one of those in road trim, wouldn’t be that hard for Honda to do it for their racing car. Besides, the point was to highlight that mainstream manufacturers can produce supercars.

jimjam
    Free Member

nickc – Troll

Why didn’t you just say you were trolling and we could’ve ignored you sooner?

rebel12
    Free Member

I think you could define a supercar as simply:

2 seats (Maclaren F1 excepted).
    Engine to the middle or rear of car.
    Very expensive.
    Very fast.
    Radical looking.
    Low, wide, impractical, and noisy.
    Use of advanced and/or motor race technology.

Judging by this criteria, the Audi R8, Honda NSX, Ford GT40 are all supercars. The Ferrari 550, Jaguar XK8, Aston Martin DB9 etc are classed as GT cars.

For anyone saying that Supercars can’t be made by mainstream manufacturers let me just say that Ferrari is owned and controlled by Fiat, and Lamborghini and Bugatti are owned by the VAG group. Honda also has a fantastic pedigree in motorsport and F1, as does Ford, as does Audi.

nickc

I’m not trolling, just ’cause you haven’t got the leap of imagination it takes to look beyond fast cars into true SUPER car territory isn’t my fault, and F1 cars are just daft.

Performance alone isn’t the defining factor, neither is simply price. Super cars are gold painted bejewelled totems of infantile playground oneupmanship, they are motoring penis extension of individualism, if there’s a Honda badge on it, it just simply won’t do…If your johnny in the street can have a Honda….

ski
    Free Member

Supercar = Teenage bedroom wall poster material.

Back in my youth, the Countach was king

This, I still look at Countach’s and Testarossa’s as supercars, cars of your childhood, that you had plastered on your bedroom wall, next to your favorite football team and rock band 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

@rebel an Audi R8 isn’t nearly expensive enough to be a supercar, I’d go for £150k minimum – probably more as the base.

rebel12
    Free Member

Honda badge on it, it just simply won’t do…If your johnny in the street can have a Honda….

So the fact that Honda have an F1 pedigree second to none doesn’t count then? Or that a Honda NSX was in the supercar parade at Goodwood FOS a few years back? Or the fact that Lamborghini has very little motorsport pedigree and also makes tractors?

Looks like a Supercar to me

jamesfts
    Free Member

Can we resort to name calling yet? 🙄

Wouldn’t class an NSX as a supercar, too sensible looking and a v6… don’t think so.

rebel12
    Free Member

Wouldn’t class an NSX as a supercar, too sensible looking and a v6… don’t think so.

Okay so all those motoring journalists, magazines, TV appearances, etc, etc who’ve been calling describing the NSX as a ‘Supercar’ for years are wrong then? Are Honda perhaps breaking advertising standards by describing it themselves as a Supercar?

nickc

“What’s that car mate” says idiot in burberry cap (on backwards)

“Why, it’s a Honda my fine young man” you reply

“Right, My mate Wayne’s got a Honda, well nice it is and he can get Waynetta, and Chardonnay in the back of his”…much chuckling ensues….

NO mainstream manufacturers…thems the rules.

jimjam
    Free Member

nickc

Despite what Richard Hammond and Jeremy Clarkson may have told you, it’s a debatable subject. There are no set rules. Only criteria which are up for debate. Non of yours hod water.

amesfts

and a v6… don’t think so.

no?

jamesfts
    Free Member

/\ Ok, fair point on the xj220, NA V6 then?

Did they?

I’m sure it’s a great car but just not quick or bonkers enough for me to see it as such.

Sub 300 bhp, available with a slush box and looks that you wouldn’t give a second glance unless you knew what pedigree it had hiding beneath it’s dull exterior.

nickc

Not the XJ220, as it wasn’t supposed to be a V6…

Although it does pass the “will it start?” rule I’ll give you that. 😆

redthunder
    Free Member

My Honda Jazz is a Super! and it’s a Car 🙂

Plus it has Magic Seats so it has to be good.

P-Jay
    Free Member

If you compare what Honda spent developing the Jazz compared to what say Ferrari spent developing their latest mid-engined wonder wagon you could argue the Honda is far more super 😉

redthunder
    Free Member

If you compare what Honda spent developing the Jazz compared to what say Ferrari spent developing their latest mid-engined wonder wagon you could argue the Honda is far more super

I knew it was Super 🙂

rebel12
    Free Member

Oh right, so looks like a supercar, performs like a supercar, sounds like a supercar, expensive as a supercar, more exclusive than lots of other supercars, but according to your rules, not a supercar 🙄

legend
    Free Member

Bat-shit crazy and dis-proves the “mid/rear engine” rule

Built for the same reason as the R390 though, so a bit of a cheat. Here’s another one:

nickc

Finally!!! 😆

Rebel12. It’s a lovely lovely car, don’t get me wrong, it would look especially nice on my driveway.

so why isn’t it a supercar? well, firstly it’s not even original, it’s an homage to a 1960’s design, the same thing in essence that BMW have done with the mini. Secondly the design cues in it (it was a design exersize for Ford’s “Edge” style) gave us the headlights for the Focus…It takes no dramatic leap forwards, indeed, it is solely designed to appeal to the mainstream. It has an engine borrowed from a production American car, and finally they made over 4000 of them, not exclusive enough, I’m afraid.

And its a Ford.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Veyron starts every time, is made by VW and drives like a golf. Does this mean its not a supercar?

I can’t think of many cars that go over 210mph that aren’t a supercar, so i’m going to go with that as the deciding factor

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘What defines a 'Supercar'’ is closed to new replies.