Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What cycling jacket?
  • renton
    Free Member

I need a new waterproof cycling jacket.

just sold a xxl altura nightvision which was to big and now not sure what to replace it with ?

got a budget of £50 – £60 ?

cheers

Steve

renton
    Free Member

Anyone?

Bregante

Depends what it’s for?

Is it for commuting ( hence the night vision)

If so why not another in XL?

If its not then there are better options available. I have the endura convert which is nice as the sleeves are removable so I can use it as a gilet. There’s a few sombrio jackets on CRC at the minute at a good price too. All sombrio stuff I’ve had has been superb.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=62624

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

Its actually going to be a general riding jacket for all conditions really, not just commuting.

I quite like the sombrio stuff but can never find it in any of the bike shops ive been in to see what the quality is like !

renton
    Free Member

Has anyone got or had this jacket….

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9268

renton
    Free Member

Or this one……….

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=32194

Any other recommendations to look at please?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Its actually going to be a general riding jacket for all conditions really, not just commuting.

A waterproof is the last thing I would want as a general riding jacket unless I lived somewhere like manchester where it evidently rains every day.

andymc06
    Free Member

Couple of mates have the Endura Gridlock. It’s water proof and is a lot of jacket for the money. RRP IS £55 but with vouchers can be had for a lot less. Worth a look.

renton
    Free Member

Mrsmith -What would you recommend then?

I am out of touch with riding gear, my last lot of shorts etc came from decathlon around 2008 !!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Either a thin softshell of some kind of wind proof that was breathable. Waterproofs are boil in the bag unless you bimble along.
    TBH I have loads of cycling gear and just check the forcast and dress accordingly, I’ll only ever wear my waterproof when it’s tipping down which is only a few times a year.

righog
    Free Member

As said above it really depends on what type of riding you will be using it for. But just to counter what Mr Smith said. I and almost everyone I Ride with wears a hardshell waterproof on all winter rides, I just have a base layer underneath, this is not so much due to the water coming down as rain but being constantly being sprayed up from the ground.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

I will be using it for everything so commuting, off roading etc etc !!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I presume you’re after XL size, otherwise I could offer you a bargain presently on ebay

renton
    Free Member

yep after an xl mate !!

how does endura stuff size up then ?

righog
    Free Member

I am looking as well, my budget is a little more flexible but these look good for offroad. No good for commuting ?

Army Gortex

growinglad
    Free Member

I’ve got the Endura Stealth, above your current budget, but by God is it a good jacket. I’ve had a fair bit of Endura stuff, might not be the cheapest, but you get your monies worth that’s for sure.

Regarding size, hmm, if you are boarderline L or XL, go XL…it can be a little snug!

Credit where credit’s due…it’s good kit!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What cycling jacket?’ is closed to new replies.