Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What cycling book for Crimbo
  • oldgit
    Free Member

My kids always get me a cycling book to read over Christmas.

What will I like? No coffee table jobs.

Last year it was ‘The Belgian Hammer’ which was great. Is ‘The Secret race’ the one to hint at?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Obvious choice is the new Wiggins book or Racing Through the Dark (recommended by many on here and which I couldn’t put down which contrasts to my normal reading speed which is one book every 3-4 months)

andylaightscat
    Free Member

it’s good but given your username I’d say Tomorrow,We Ride…… Jean Bobet it’s about cylcing from another age.

Oh and I wouldn’t buy the Miller book on principle,he’s made enough money by cheating without me giving him more by reading about it

cynic-al
    Free Member

That Dutch (?) one…the Ride…or Race?

headfirst
    Free Member

I’ve just finished The Secret Race, I found it a good read and pretty un-put-downable.

ampthill

I’ve not read the secret race so that may go on my list

I have read Racing Through The Dark and loved it

crikey
    Free Member

Slaying the badger is about our golden years, OG, as is One more kilometer and we’re in the showers. The Escape Artist is also a good read.

oldgit
    Free Member

Good guide. I fancy the ‘Foreign Legion’, the Hoban book and ‘The Escape Artist’.
    The day the Badger got beat was a bit of a sad day I thought

fuzzhead
    Free Member

+1 on Wiggo’s or Millar’s books. Reading “Racing through the Dark” at the moment, highly recommended.

Blackhound

Secret Race is good, as is the boo on Bobet by his brother mentioned bove.

William Fotheringham’s Fausto Coppi biik is another recommendation.

iainc

I have literally dozens of cycling books. The ones that I really enjoyed, in no particular order :

David Millar – Racing Through the Dark
    Nicolas Roche – Inside the Peleton
    Paul Kimmage – Rough Ride
    Matt Seaton – Two Wheels
    Chris Hoy – Autobiography

LardLover
    Free Member

headfirst – Member

I’ve just finished The Secret Race, I found it a good read and pretty un-put-downable.

+1

Also, ‘Wide Eyed & Legless’.

Recently reprinted (just after I paid 30-odd quid for a copy of the 1st print of the book).

Metasequoia

I really, really enjoyed The Beautiful Machine by Graeme Fife.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Maglia Rosa – Triumph and tragedy at the Giro d’Italia by Herbie Sykes Maglia Rosa it’s a great book about the Giro.

I was lucky to be able to buy this one signed by 14 previous Giro legends Special Edition

Brainflex

Lance Armstrong – Its not about the bike.

BurnBob
    Free Member

Graeme Obree has a new one out. Its written as a training manual. I have not got myself a copy yet but should be good. An inspirational and interesting guy who knows a thing or two about bikes and training!

gusamc
    Free Member

Personal Best – Beryl Burton

*I don’t know if it’s any good but I’ve decided it must be read after finding out what she achieved

MSP

Got to say for christmas I would prefer a book that enthuses my love of cycling rather than reveal it’s dark heart, which I have basically had enough of for this year now.

How about something like eat, ride and sleep. The one about the tour divide.

crikey
    Free Member

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Bikie_A_Love_Affair_with_the_Racing_Bicy.html?id=f_cpAAAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

This is a good one too, more of a poignant retrospective than a rollicking good read..

johnny_met
    Free Member
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What cycling book for Crimbo’ is closed to new replies.