• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What cycle computer?
  • gnusmas

I want a cycle computer but not sure which one to get. I will be using it on my bike while I am using my turbo trainer (for the time being) while my ankle heals. Can’t venture out until next spring at the earliest to avoid jolting it and making it worse.

What would be a good computer to get for the trainer (and for when I eventually get out)? Any suggestions?

Thanks

gnusmas

Any suggestions?

sirromj

Do you want GPS to either record your routes so you know exactly where you’ve been when out exploring, or to allow you to follow route breadcrumb trails?

Do you want to monitor your heart rate?

I recommend the Garmin Edge 210, it’s what I’ve got.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bez

I’ve got a Sigma BC1609 that I’ve not used in ages. Excellent computer, but I moved to GPS ones so I could swap between bikes. Should be ideal. If it’s of use, £12 posted?

nedrapier

An old style magnet-on-the-spokes job would give you “Speed”/”Distance” while on the turbo. I’m guessing that’s what Bez’s Sigma is?

If you wanted to spend more, you could get a GPS unit, which would allow you to follow and record routes when you get out and about. Fancier ones have bigger screens so you can see maps as well as just an outline of the route.
    But for that to work on the turbo, you’d need a unit that works with ANT+ bluetooth, so it can pick up signals from a speed sensor (magnet on the spokes), available for purchase separately. The separate speed sensor costs more than Bez’s Sigma, and is of limited use when you’re out and about as the GPS positioning is doing that job already.

So you may as well get Bez’s Sigma for now, and research GPS computers between now and spring. You could do that while you’re on the turbo! 😀

NB: nedrapier is in no way in no way associated, linked or affiliated with Bez or Bez’s spares bin.

welshfarmer

I would be looking at something reasonably future proof that you can use with a smart trainer at some point as this seems to be a growing trend. I just bought the Garmin Edge 520 bunled with HRM, Speed and Cadence sensors. On offer at £220. All sensors are Ant+ so work across many platforms. The 520 has basic mapping (upgradable to detailed Open Street Maps) and first impressions are very good. For better mapping I have apps on my phone that make any GPS unit look like a toy anyway so that is not a major concern for me.

Bez

I’m guessing that’s what Bez’s Sigma is?

Yeah. Magnet on the wheel, wireless sensor. Should work just fine on the rear wheel, though I’ve only used it on a front. Nice and neat, straps on tidily with included O-rings.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What cycle computer?’ is closed to new replies.