Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What CX canti brakes?
  • DezB
    Free Member

Picking up my CX bike today and from memory of the test ride, the Tektro brakes were crap, so I need some decent ones.
    Any recommendations?

rootes1

change the pads first and try again.

Swiss Stops.

wwaswas

I rplaced some Avid Shorty’s with these;

http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?productid=1039&catid=185&subcat=0

massive chnage. levers didn’t go back tot he bars to get any brakign force, better(ish) stopping.

Only issue is that they need a bit of a faff to get fitted as loads of nuts and bolts involved. Not needed to use a spanner on a bike for a while.

RickyRah
    Free Member

I put Tektro CR720s on my CX bike after seeking advice here and they’ve been pretty good. Good enough to lock the rear in the dry. I don’t expect any more than that from canti brakes.

Stoner
    Free Member

which tektro?

The CR720s arent bad.
    2nd good pads.

And dont forget to ASK SHELDON!

DezB
    Free Member

Stock are 520s.
    TRPs look interesting.
    Are Shimanos any good? – always the go to brakes in my MTB history. Wish I hadn’t sold my old XTs now 🙂

scratch
    Free Member

Used Tektro CR720’s for two seasons, good enough for me.

sefton
    Free Member

I’m going to replace my frogglegs with these – they look far easier to set up and look like they’d have better mud clearance/surface area – cheap too

ribble do them cheap!

Merak

I’ve got a set of nearly new ones for sale. 🙂

AlwaysHorizontal
    Free Member

(hi-jack) If anyone is selling any Tektro Oryx ones I’m interested as my winterbike ones are getting a little weary. (hi-jack over – apols)

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Depends how much you want to spend. I’ve got avid short ultimates and they’re they best canti brakes I’ve used.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I ditched my cantis and whacked some travel agents and V brakes on mine. (on recommendation of clubber of this parish)

Far, far better than the cantis. Better modulation and more power.

EDIT.. Flip… resize. resizee!

sefton
    Free Member

not as good in very muddy cx races though imo (trap too much mud)

trickydisco
    Free Member

Every race i’ve been in has been muddy this season.. to be honest it’s clogged more in the drivetrain. Raced on sunday and they worked fine

Northwind

BMX Vs on mine, no travel agents. (Tektro RX5s, they’re very similiar to the TRP 8.4s) Dirt cheap, and even with stock pads they stop better than most cantis I’ve used (which to be fair is mostly cheap ones)

Mud and tyre clearance isn’t as good as my cantis, but it’s still decent- I think most people who comment on that haven’t used them tbh. They have about as much clearance as my forks do at the side, and the pads clog just the same as canti pads.

sefton
    Free Member

you racing on that soft southern mud?

sefton
    Free Member

dont get me wrong the v brakes are far superior in everyother department – I was deeply saddened when I had to put the cantis back on for racing.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Yea.. this mud 🙂

Actually i had a DNF in one race as my mech hanger snapped (14 other retirements due to this)

BUt to be fair I don’t have the pads very close to the rim and there seems to be a lot of clearance around it

sefton
    Free Member

wet mud is ok mud thats on its way to drying is like clay – add some long grass and leaves and bang there goes your rear mech and your wheels wont turn

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Avid Ultimates here.

Spotty Dog IMHO..

barrykellett
    Free Member

Tektro CR720 for me too.
    They stop the bike
    They cost very little
    They are a nice wide profile to assist with clearance.

I like them

I have V-Brakes on my pompino and they eat rims.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of nearly new ones for sale

Nearly new whats?

Ooh, those Avids are BLACK & RED! Which happens to be the colour scheme on the bike…

ctznsmith
    Free Member

I have V-Brakes on my pompino and they eat rims.

Can anyone come up with a ‘scientific/engineering’ reason why this would be true?

(not taking the piss can’t think of one myself)

barrykellet are you using the same brand pads in both?

Sorry that isn’t much help to the OP, CR720’s have always done the job for me. Thinking of switching to v’s for my new s/s build though, which means I’ll have two sets of CR720’s in varying conditions which someone can have for postage if they like.

barrykellett
    Free Member

I’ll be honest, half of the rim wear with V-Brakes on the pompino is my own fault as It doesn’t get cleaned all that often, Its set up Fixed for the commute so I can ride home, throw it in the garage and not really care about it. A liberal coating of very wet chain lube once or twice a week and just ride on. It takes abuse. And the rims will be coated in gunk which won’t help.

But I rode my old winter geared bike quite similarly and never wore a rim through using road calipers. I am on my 3rd rear rim on the pomino in 3 years!

They have much more leverage. Its overkill mostly as you will lock the wheels up long before you reach the limit of the brake power. They are better in the wet than the cantis but maybe its because i dont pull the cantis hard enough on the CX bike

I still like the V-brake with proper SS V-brake levers on the pomp though. But i only got them as I was a canti Noob and couldnt get my old frogs legs set up right. Since racing CX I would happily ride Cantis on the road again.

I would never, ever consider racing CX on V-Brakes. Cantis clog bad enough as it is.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What CX canti brakes?’ is closed to new replies.