Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)
  • What CX bike with disks and a full mudguard option?
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I don’t actually have a link, just going from what gubbins came with my bike and then asking the guys what they heck they all were.. But all the clips and giggles come in a very stout carry bag with full instructions and lighting clips too, bell and IIRC a spare headset grip bolt for the OD headset.

The clips themselves are very strong screw clamps, two for the chainstay, 2 for the seatstay and one for the BB area. Fit around the stays and screw tight in a clamp. Mine were a fetching shade of blue to match the bike 😆 The lighting clamps were black, one for the seatpost one for the bars, sturdy is the word for these things.

I’ve got a spare set (unused) Smart Sams that came with my bike, never going to use them if you are interested FOC…

Kryton57

ok, I’ve contacted Giant to ask.

But the Pinnacle has Hydro’s and full carbon fork albeit for a £200 premium….

firestarter
    Free Member

Gold standard sks?? Bah… pdw are very very good far superior to sks and with various sales around at the min only a couple of quid more than sks

cynic-al
    Free Member

How are these other mudguards better?

firestarter
    Free Member

In every way over the sks. Better fittings. Made of metal. Rock solid. I use mine offroad and they still dont move

munrobiker
    Free Member

SKS are known for breaking where the stays attach. I’m tempted by the PDWs or Dia Compe metal fenders to replace mine, which snapped in two when a stick went up the inside of them. Generally, though, I’d agree- SKS are the best plastic guards I’ve fitted or used.

ransos
    Free Member

How are these other mudguards better?

Both the PDW and Berthoud guards have the stay mounts on the outside, which means the water flows down the inside of the guard properly. They both look better (Berthoud are high polish stainless, great on a classic steel bike).

pirahna
    Free Member

Always check bottom bracket height when looking at CX bikes.

For example, the Ridley that was linked on the first page. This might not apply to the new ones but the older (canti) ones had high bottom brackets. The knock on effect was to make the bike very tall, tall enough that you needed to buy a size down, which meant a shorter top tube and longer stem to get the thing to fit correctly.

shermer75
    Free Member

Edit: those pinnacle colours will clash with my red club kit…

I’d have thought that lime green or blue would go really well with red. Colours that clash with red tend to be things like pink, orange or purple…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not seeing any point in upgrading my SKS…

ransos
    Free Member

You will when they crack across the stay mounts.

jimdubleyou

I have an Arkose 4, with SKS longboards.

I needed a new set of these after somebody ran into me -http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sks-secu-clips-for-front-mudguard-stays-per-pair-prod666

Otherwise they have been fine.

Hydro brakes are awesome.

But, you will need a 105 chainset/bb – the FSA ones are made of slightly hardened butter.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ransos – Member
    You will when they crack across the stay mounts.

27 years, not happened to me yet. I do fit them properly of course!

Kryton57

Now would I be correct in saying that the Giant is more “race” than “road” and the Pinnacle is the other way around?

STATO
    Free Member

For example, the Ridley that was linked on the first page. This might not apply to the new ones but the older (canti) ones had high bottom brackets. The knock on effect was to make the bike very tall, tall enough that you needed to buy a size down,

That makes absolutely no sense at all, unless you have tiny legs-to-torso and need more standover?

ransos
    Free Member

27 years, not happened to me yet. I do fit them properly of course!

It’s a common failure mode. Are you seriously suggesting that this is because most people haven’t fitted them properly?

firestarter
    Free Member

I know what he means stato. I tried a ridley cx a few yrs back and to be able to just stradle the crossbar and not crush my plums meant i had to pick a size with a tiny ett. And im pretty normal sized id say

convert

I know what he means stato. I tried a ridley cx a few yrs back and to be able to just stradle the crossbar and not crush my plums meant i had to pick a size with a tiny ett. And im pretty normal sized id say

Being able to stand feet flat on the floor in front of the saddle with ‘room to swing free’ is a relatively modern desire, I guess it’s come from MTBs. In years gone by road bikes (and therefore cx bikes too) all looked like the below. Truth be known I can’t think of a time when I’ve wanted to stand like that. Standover is overrated imo.

bikebouy
    Free Member

TCX Race or Road?

Erm..

Mines Race deffo. But then thats why I bought it, and really I can’t comment as such because my only experiance is this my version. Generally speaking the only thing I have to offer is just check the dimentions and angles which are on the Giant site to see if any angles change. The Adv I have is (TBH) arse up head down you’d expect that. However I could soften this up but I’m not going to.
    What I can say is there are a LOT of headset spacers in Std mode, must have been at least 60mm worth to play with on mine. If, I say IF (and pretty sure they are all kitted out the same) then you’ll get 60mm of steerer spacers to dial in. As for the stem, think they all come in at 100mm, mines a 0deg but can’t offer up what the TCX1/2 alloy models come with but I’d guess 3 or 6deg. I was offered a change of stem length FOC from Giant when I bought mine and I opted for a 110mm on the Medium frame I have.

That any help?

ahwiles
    Free Member

convert – Member
    Standover is overrated imo.

or, what’s the benefit of having a top tube 3ft above the ground?

Kryton57

A bit bikebuoy yes. So, for the same money:

a) Dale: Worst brakes, worst wheels, CX chainset, nice looks, 105, Alu/Carbon fork, middle option for guards
    b) Giant: Ok cable brakes, 2nd worst wheels, best colour, CX chainset, 105, Alu carbon fork, clip on guards only

c) Pinnacle, best wheels, Hydro brakes, road compact chainset, Carbon/Carbon fork, full guard mounts, shocking blue.

The pinnacle wins on value TBH, and especially as my brief is 80% winter road 20% CX rather than the other way around. But why do I feel I’d be selecting an “Evans” bike?

convert

or, what’s the benefit of having a top tube 3ft above the ground?

True – and I guess that’s why things changed. However, if for a CX bike (used for actual CX) you think a high BB is a good thing (I do) which means your Top tube is a bit higher than normal it’s not the end of the world. Compact frames don’t really work too well for CX as its much harder to easily shoulder quickly.

What I don’t like are CX bikes with a high BB but a short head tube. It makes a sensible position really hard to achieve especially if you have long legs for your total height.

firestarter
    Free Member

Perhaps on road convert but i like a bit of bollox room on a cx tbh 🙂

convert

Perhaps on road convert but i like a bit of bollox room on a cx tbh

Maybe I’m just a bit deficient 😆

firestarter
    Free Member

Perhaps 😉

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I’m quite tempted by the Arkose 5 –

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/arkose-five-2015-adventure-road-bike-ec071309

Looks good for the money (currently £1200), but the colour is a bit minging. Dull grey with a rather dodgy splatter effect. May go see if I can see one in the flesh as I can’t find a good picture online anywhere.

Kryton57

Oooh. The ‘dale is available a Pedelon allowing for some “freebies” with podium points.

Christ, this is starting to hurt my head.

dan45a
    Free Member

kryton57 – if you want something for training and stable in the winter have you considered a genesis criox de fer?

I got one last year and has improved my fitness no end, when I get on the carbon race bike I feel like I’m going to take off.

Ok its steel and a bit heavy and the spec isn’t amazing, but its solid and has a bit of kudos to the cyclist in the know.

some good deals out there…..

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m117b185s862p15220/GENESIS_Croix_De_Fer_20_Adventure_Cross_Bike_2015

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm..

Evans choice is not a Bad choice is it. Ok so it’s their own brand, but you are limited with Budget and the Akrose is a really good bike. I see lots of them over this side of Town coming in/out of work, set up as you would set them up and TBH a lot of them will be used exactly the way you are intending to use it.
    All look very solid and good looking bikes, all great value aren’t they. Has to be a reason for that.. I thinks it’s a great combination of Value and Quality.
    Something you shouldn’t be too sniffy about, you will look like a lot of Guys riding them, but thats OK isn’t it, you’ll be doing what they do with it afterall. Hell some wear baggies too so don a pair of those as well and hey, you could all do a dance around a pole flinging your arms in the air on a mid summers day. You’re going to look similar to a lot of Guys riding any of the other choices you’ve shortlisted.

Evans are everywhere in Town, pop in, take a look.
    Giant are everywhere in Town, pop in, take a look.
    Cannondale are in shops in Town, pop in, take a look.

If I had my CX’er up here with me you could have a blast on it, trouble is you’d end up wanting one and your budget doesn’t stretch to that, but you would get an idea of fit/shape.

munrobiker
    Free Member

If you’re using it more from road surely a racier CX bike like the TCX would be a better option that a tootlier Pinnacle with more relaxed riding position?

If it helps it took me 4 months to choose a new riding to work bike at this price point, and even then I’m not 100% happy with my selection given the competition. And we never even heard the end of Jamie’s 10 month saga!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My Diverge takes full guards.

🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

Fwiw the ridley bb drop is 1cm less than the caadx. I am having this issue a bit as trying to decide on a cx bike for similar purposes but do have the short legs, long torso issue.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Jamie bought a TCX 1 Alloy in white (2014 model in the sale).. and as far as I can remember he was really happy with it, mentioned a few things about riding position once he’d gotten it, but he kinda scuttled off and clearly doesn’t want to come out and play with the big boys now 😕

Don’t know if it’s worth seeking that thread out K57? perhaps it is, sure there were the same questions/meandering thoughts on it as yours.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Here are the angles, direct off Giants site…

TCX Adv1 (Mine)

SIZE HEAD ANGLE SEAT ANGLE TOP TUBE REACH HEAD TUBE STACK CHAIN STAY WHEEL BASE STANDOVER HEIGHT
    cm Degrees Degrees cm cm cm cm cm cm cm
    XS (49.0) 71.0 74.5 51.5 N/A 11.5 N/A 43.0 100.8 76.3
    S (52.0) 71.0 73.5 53.0 N/A 13.0 N/A 43.0 101.4 78.0
    M (54.0) 71.5 73.0 54.5 N/A 14.5 N/A 43.0 101.9 80.3
    M/L (56.5) 72.0 73.0 56.0 N/A 16.0 N/A 43.0 103.0 82.1
    L (57.5) 72.5 73.0 57.5 N/A 17.5 N/A 43.0 104.0 83.2

and

TCX SLR Alloy @ £1029
    SIZE HEAD ANGLE SEAT ANGLE TOP TUBE REACH HEAD TUBE STACK CHAIN STAY WHEEL BASE STANDOVER HEIGHT
    cm Degrees Degrees cm cm cm cm cm cm cm
    XS (49.0) 71.0 74.5 51.5 N/A 11.5 N/A 43.0 100.8 76.3
    S (52.0) 71.0 73.5 53.0 N/A 13.0 N/A 43.0 101.4 78.0
    M (54.0) 71.5 73.0 54.5 N/A 14.5 N/A 43.0 101.9 80.3
    M/L (56.5) 72.0 73.0 56.0 N/A 16.0 N/A 43.0 103.0 82.1
    L (57.5) 72.5 73.0 57.5 N/A 17.5 N/A 43.0 104.0 83.2

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sorry ^ thats all gobbledygook so I’ve just extrapolated the Medium and look… it’s the same size/geo on both frames..

TCX Adv1 (mine) Medium:

SIZE,HEAD ANGLE,SEAT ANGLE,TOP TUBE,REACH,HEAD TUBE,STACK,CHAIN STAY,WHEEL BASE,
    M (54.0) 71.5 73.0 54.5 N/A 14.5 N/A 43.0 101.9
    STANDOVER HEIGHT

TCX SLR Medium:

SIZE,HEAD ANGLE,SEAT ANGLE,TOP TUBE,REACH,HEAD TUBE,STACK,CHAIN STAY,WHEEL BASE,
    M (54.0) 71.5 73.0 54.5 N/A 14.5 N/A 43.0 101.9
    STANDOVER HEIGHT

brianp
    Free Member

How about Specialized AWOL 2016 for £1k.

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Specialized/AWOL-Bike-2016/88NA

Kryton57

Bikebuoy I have – and the bike is replacing – a Defy in M/L. So I know it fits me in the same size. If I had some evidence that full length guards will fit on that TCX, I’d buy it now. I can’t see that clip on race blades are long enough for people behind me either.

The Akrose is better value, but not so good a frame and I’m struggling with the bright colours.

Edit: Message from Pedalon recieved – no guard mounts suppled with the TCX

Kryton57

Just watched a race blades install vid. Maybe I can cope.

munrobiker
    Free Member

AFAIK you can fit guards to a TCX, there’s photos of one on the bikeradar forums with guards fitted using the kit the frame comes with.

boblo
    Free Member

Back to mudguards now I’m back in from my ride 🙂 Metal mudguards? Are you mad? What a din. And ‘better in every way’ but I note no details forthcoming…

I’ve used SKS (or ESGE as they were) since the early 80’s and have never snapped one or broken a mount. After 30 years, I had the rivets holding the rear seatstay bridge mount in place fret their holes bigger than the rivet heads on the rear of a pair which meant new guards. I mean, bloody hell; 30 years! I was so cheesed off I had them replaced under warranty.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘What CX bike with disks and a full mudguard option?’ is closed to new replies.