Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • what CX bike, help me decide!
  • deep_river
    Free Member

I am wanting to buy a CX bike for some light off-roading/alternative to mtb-ing. I am not going to use it for commuting.

I was about to purchase a Focus Mares Comp last night when i had one last google for good deals.

I saw a Ridley Crossbow for 850, a Kinesis Crosslight 5T for 800. I am also maybe considering a Focus Mares or a Fuji Cross Comp.

Any suggestions about what would be the best. I am sick of dithering about it and am defo gonna make a descision and get one on order today. Some last minute advice would be welcome.

Ta

oldgit
    Free Member

You sooooo need a good smack.

Right I'll have a look and help you decide OK?

deep_river
    Free Member

cheers

I'm like a women i know

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

some bargains here: http://shop4cross.com/

Ridley is on top of my want list at the moment.

oldgit
    Free Member

1 = Kinesis 5T or Fuji cross
    2 = Crossbow
    3 = Focus Mares Comp

The first three have between them good wheels or rims, the Kinesis build has replaceable Mavic rims. All have I think cross chainsets except the Focus. All run cantis again excluding the Focus. Not sure how Rival stacks up against the others Tiagra? And the Kinesis I've seen do well at races. Didn't look to see if they have bottle mounts, which is handy when not racing.
    Edit, the Crossbow and Fuji look good 8)
    Edit edit, Though they look cool the Kinesis has more cred not so boy racer.

deep_river
    Free Member

Cheers thanks for that, it has helped my thought process

stick_man

Have you considered a CX bike with discs? The purists don't seem to like them but I found cantis take a lot of fiddling with, are not v effective in the wet and can cause fork judder unless the cable stops located low on the head tube.

I don't race but my current Focus Mares disc is much more fun to ride than my previous CX bike because predictable brakes mean you can ride more agressively.

deep_river
    Free Member

I havent really, cosidered, im trying to have as lighter bike as my budget will allow.

If I was to choose the kineis, is it worth upgrading to carbon forks for an extra 70

dot
    Free Member

I bought a Ridley Crossbow last year and did quite a few races on it during the winter. Really happy with it and not felt the need to change anything, even tyres(!).

Bought it from Sam @ Sett Valley Cycles who did me a good deal and ace service:- http://www.settvalleycycles.co.uk/

aP
    Free Member

At the same price point choose what you buy based on 3 things:
    1. Is it a nice colour
    2. Is it a brand that fits my aspirations, or those others whom I wish to impress.
    3. Is it a nice colour
    Alternatively you could get a nice big excel spreadsheet and list everything out and do graphs and things.

olie
    Free Member

Personally I'd buy a Colnago Cross Prestige cos they're ace and I've already got one so a matching pair would be cool!

However if you something a bit more sensible a Colnago Cross World Cup is good money, or go for a Kinesis. They're light and responsive and mega value for money, I'm thinking of getting one for a second bike when it gets muddy.

olie

deep_river
    Free Member

Thanks for all your advice over last week.

Have just ordered a Kinesis 5T from fatbirds.

oldgit
    Free Member

That's what I'm getting when they land, cleaning up all bits to go on it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘what CX bike, help me decide!’ is closed to new replies.