• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by gee.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What Cross tyres for the road? :-)
  • bol

Ticks all the irritating boxes this one, sorry.

I’ve currently got road tyres on my cross bike as its main roles are winter trainer and commuter. With spring on the way, I want to take the scenic route and use it off road a bit more, but don’t want to lose too much (if any) speed on the tarmac if I can help it. Any suggestions? Moon on a stick?

taxi25
    Free Member
    jonba
    Free Member

semi slicks if the offroad is dry. I have some conti ones. I can put in a decent average on the road but cope off road.

If you get something without blocks square edges it should have less rolling resistance

vittora xg pros are good enough for a club road ride

iainc

these work for me

I was using Spesh Boroughs, these are better on road and not much worse off….

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Marathon extremes

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Kenda Small Block 8

monkeyp

I have been using Schwalbe Landcruisers. They are OK, but slow on road and punctured way too easily off road, so, 20 minutes ago i put my road tyres back on. So my advice is not to use those and anything will be a compromise which will/may be annoying.

Not much help really, sorry!

How far is your commute? Mine is 23 miles each way (18 of which can be done on canal tow paths) which may explain why it was a pain. If it was 10 i may have coped.

gee
    Free Member

Racing Ralphs.

GB

tony_m
    Free Member

Schwalbe CX Comp.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Racing Ralphs or cx comps would work but for a commute I personally would want more puncture protection.

dobo
    Free Member

monkeyp, never punctured a landcruiser, its the toughest tyre i own… id be interested to know what road tyres you are running though..

bol

Cheers all. I’ll check those suggestions out. I’ve used Boroughs before but found they flatted a lot. I’m currently using Conti 4 Seasons, which have been faultless on the road. Puncture protection is pretty important. Should have mentioned that.

monkeyp

My first trip out on Landcruisers resulted in 5 thorns through the rear and one in the front – 17 miles from home with one spare tube. I bodged a fix using a zip tie and then flatted the new tube 5 miles from home – that was a long cold walk. I then tried filling new tubes with latex sealant and had it happen again.

OK, so this was hawthorn and the tyres were at 80psi, but given they were so draggy on road i had just had enough. The compromise wasn’t worth it.

I currently use Bonty Racelites. Brilliant tyres, cheap, light and very rare to get a flat, BUT, i am now limited to the road. For a commute of my distance a compromise in tyres to occasionally risk the offroad route just isn’t worth it.

It’s a shame – bloody hawthorn lined tow path and land owners who cut it without clearing up. This was in winter as well – who cuts hedges in winter!

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

schwalbe hurricane? If you want more grip then put something knobblier on the front

DavidB
    Free Member

So I have done loads of big road/off road on Landcruisers including the Dunwich Dynamo.

Really rate them as a compromise option and didnt find them too draggy.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Have you considered any of the above off road tyres and maybe trying harder on the tarmac. Peddle harder – go faster – get fitter.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I just ordered a pair of Borough pros for the Fargo. Folding and only £12.50 each, got to be worth a punt.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-Borough-pro-700-X-32c-/271145857313?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3f218d7121&_uhb=1

bol

I picked up a set of Michelin Jets today. They were in the bargain bin at the LBS, which persuaded me to give them a try. Sod all puncture protection by the looks of it and they’re very light. I think I might have to have a go at setting them up tubeless to lessen the risk of frustration.

dobo
    Free Member

michelin jets are good and fast for cx, wouldnt call it a good commuter or road tyre though, they work tubeless too but wear fairly quick and puncture protection hmm forget that 🙂 carry a couple of spare tubes
    expensive but if you got them for a bargin, i would have too

xcneil
    Free Member

Racing Ralphs

Bazz

I just picked up a pair of these:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TYVTRNDCPR/vittoria_randonneur_cross_pro_folding_tyre

for some light touring i’m planning for later this year. I’ve previously used the standard Randonneur’s for commuting through London and the puncture protection was second to none, in over two years i only had one flat (120 miles a week) and that was on a huge shard of glass that i couldn’t avoid.

Anyhow these are slightly fatter, appear to have just as much puncture protection and look as though they will be sufficient for some light off road action (as long as it isn’t thick mud) and still roll well on the road, and only £15 each.

thomthumb
    Free Member

35c slicks. scwalbe marathon racers are about the lightest you can buy.

zilog6128

I am using Sammy Slicks for commuting / light off-road duties

gee
    Free Member

If you want puncture protection and some knobbles too – Schwalbe Marathon Extreme. They do a narrower one and a wider one.

GB

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What Cross tyres for the road? :-)’ is closed to new replies.