Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What crank set for 100mm bottom bracket fat bike ?
  • Splash-man
    Free Member

I’m looking at a new crankset for my fat bike which has a 100mm bottom bracket to replace the current square taper effort.
    The price of BBs is making me look at replacing the whole thing.

What are people using ?

whitestone
    Free Member

Raceface Aeffect. This is direct mount using their Cinch system. Fine if you are using 1x as I am. I think they do a Cinch direct mount spider if you run 2x.

Splash-man
    Free Member

I’m undecided on 1x or 2x at the moment so happy to explore either.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got SRAM x5 that came with my fatty.

On the downside they had a creak for ages that I couldn’t find until it magically went away on the umpteenth disassembly and clean!

On the upside they have a significantly lower q-factor than the race face cranks by about 20mm according to the spec sheets.

On the other downside the GXP bb sucks, the plastic top hat is pushed out of the drive side (which is probably what started the creaking). Finally solved it by replacing it with a Hope BB. Other non-SRAM BB didn’t help as the whole bearing just migrated out instead.

It may be possible to solve the problem with a diy spacer on the axle (a bit like the older race face system) to preload the plastic top hat and keep it in place. But it was creaking and I gave up on that in trying to make it stop (it didn’t so I may still be a good solution)

rickmeister

Race face ride or Chester. Smallest ring is a 30t though as they are 104 bcd. Cranks and a rf Bb as a set but use a standard htII format… Will also take a 22t granny if you want 2x. I’m using rf ride with a single ring 30t and SRAM 10/42 and I’m building another bike using these with gx eagle

clubby

Race face Aeffect for me as well.

Splash-man
    Free Member

Cheers guys, ill keep my eyes open for some deals.

whitestone
    Free Member

I went with the Aeffect as I wanted an oval chainring smaller than 30T which isn’t possible with a 104BCD spider. Ended up with a 28T.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What crank set for 100mm bottom bracket fat bike ?’ is closed to new replies.