Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What could be wrong?? (washing machine content)
  • Smarty
    Free Member

Just wondered if there might be any washing machine experts in da house.

House electrics tripped tonight, RCD and utility room sockets tripped out. They reset ok but I realised that the washer in the utility was on when they tripped. Washer now seems to be indicating a fault by flashing the power light 3 times. I’m totally inept with electrical stuff but I’d guess it was serious to have tripped the house electrics. If anyone washer experts knows what might have happened here it might help me decide my next move.

Thing is, it’s a cheap basic Indisit that I got given 5 years ago and has never missed a beat til now.
    So, do I…….
    A: go to the shops in the morning for a new washer (if so which one?)
    B: get the repair man out(i know a local repair man)
    C: get a bottle of single malt out and worry about it when my clothes start festering in a huge pile on the bedroom floor

MrNutt
    Free Member

evil spirits have entered the machine through the dirty conditioner hole. within 64hr’s you’ll have eaten all your clothes and be laying within a pentagram of detergent. That or there’s something horrible in the trap.

druidh
    Free Member

A

If it’s a cheap one, then the cost of having someone out to (a) have a look at it, (b) order any bits and (c) come back to fit them will likely not be cost-effective.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Thing is, it’s a cheap basic Indisit that I got given 5 years a

In the nicest possible way – you;ve got your moneys worth out of it. Buy a new one – if you go down the same route a new one will cost about the same as a repair.

Shame about the environment etc etc.

We had a guy out under warranty to fix a real simple fault with an Inde **** and he hummed and hawwed, flaffed, wanted tea etc. Turns out he’s paid in full hours. A 5 min fix wasnt worth it – he spun it out to 65 mins.

Better still buy something with a longer warranty or something Which magazine reports are reliable. Basically, after a quick scan, oooh – I not allowed to reproduce their findings. It costs £4 a month for this knowledge 🙂

Miele / Bosch / Siemens.

Burls72
    Free Member

How good are you with mechanics? I’d take the top off and have a look inside to see if there’s anything obvious like a wire arced out on the body if it’s an older machine a wire could have worked loose with all the vibration and touched the drum.

MrNutt
    Free Member

unplug it first.

Burls72
    Free Member

unplug it first.

If you have to be told that don’t take the top off 😀

Smarty
    Free Member

Even with the plug out it is still possible to get an electric shock from the motor, I know this 😳 😳 😳

Looks like the motor brushes, lots of carbon/black dust on the floor under the washer. After getting over the shock (no pun intended) of the belt I got from the motor I could see daylight through one side where the brushes should be and the other side looks like it’s about to drop out. Found a small spring too, assume that pinged out once the brushes worn down to nothing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What could be wrong?? (washing machine content)’ is closed to new replies.