Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What cordless drill for around £50-60?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Any suggestions? It won’t be in everyday use but I want something I can just grab & use.
    What are you using in that price range?

PePPeR

Go to Homebase can buy a Guild 18v hammer drill and a torque driver with 2 batteries for £70.

stumpy01

Not used this particular item myself, but I’ve got some Titan garden tools from Screwfix that are great value for money & work fine….

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tti699com-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/4908p

ton

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ton, your’e boring me. 😀

ton

boom boom…….. 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

stumpy01

Joking aside, does it have to be cordless? You’ll get a much better tool if you buy a corded drill for the same money (and an extension lead).

I’ve got a £35 Black & Decker corded that works fine & the cord is very rarely an issue.

I figured that given how infrequently I actually use the drill I would have knackered the batteries through not using them enough if I went for cordless.

jonba
    Free Member

I’d also go corded. We had a cordless hedge trimmer used a handful of times a year. Had to plan to cut in advance as the batteries were always flat. Then they died. There is hassle with a cord but it will work when you need it reliably for a long time.

I got a BOSCH one with hammer action. Has made holes whenever I’ve wanted it to so happy with it.

Cougar

Ton, your’e boring me.

Brace yourself.

We had a cordless hedge trimmer used a handful of times a year. Had to plan to cut in advance as the batteries were always flat. Then they died. There is hassle with a cord but it will work when you need it reliably for a long time.

I got a BOSCH one with hammer action.

That’s got to be Peak STW, a hammer-action hedge trimmer.

xico
    Free Member

My only advice is that you buy a package which includes two batteries. Nothing worse than to be almost finishing a job when the battery runs out!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Joking aside, does it have to be cordless?

Yes, we don’t have electricity.

project
    Free Member

erauber from screwfix just got 2 for work , they work well and do the job.

haydenw
    Free Member

I have the Ryobi One+ and have been using them for c. 8 years.

The One+ range has several tools and all run off the same batteries – it means if you need a jigsaw in a few months then you can pick up the bare unit and use the existing batteries.

As above though, go for a set with 2 x batteries.

swdan
    Free Member

I have one of these, think i paid £70 for it and have been very happy with it. Could be a bit lighter but feels well made and is always ready when I need it. Would definitely pay £60 which is what they’ve asking.

Stanley Drill

stumpy01

esselgruntfuttock – Member

Yes, we don’t have electricity.

Charging a cordless will be fun….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

@swdan, lovely, I’ll check the one out for sure.

whatgoesup

As its STW
    I’ll ignore your price range and reccomend what Ive got.

£100 or thereabouts gets you a properly solid Hitachi cordless drill and two batteries. Reccomended by my Dad who spent a couple of years in early retirement as a handyman and this did him proud so I bought one. Likewise, its solid powerful and hasnt missed a beat despite quite a bit of reasonably heavy use. I just wish id bought the two-pack drill and driver set.

screwfix linky

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

The newer li on batteries are really good, better than the old ni cad ones. Lighter, faster charging, seem to hold charge well.

Maybe look for a 18v Makita, Bosch or Milwaukee one on eBay?

nickjb
    Free Member

As above, £100 is about where they start to get good. I’m sure the £50 ones will be adequate for general DIY but there is a noticeable step up in quality in the products from the better brands.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What cordless drill for around £50-60?’ is closed to new replies.