Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What console for a month inside?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

My dog’s going in for an op next week, and then he’s got 4 weeks of entire crate rest. I’m gonna spend the first week at home with him for most of the day, and then quite a bit of time after that.

So I don’t go out of my mind, I’m thinking of buying a console on eBay and a few games to tide me over.

I know nothing of this world now, I bought consoles up until an Xbox 360, but been out of it since then

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Ricks

CheesybeanZ

Where are you I’ve got a ps2 you can borrow .

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I thought you meant prison…..in which case, make it big enough to cover your bum cheeks, but not so small, that it can be inserted.

Cougar

Nothing much has changed. The Xbox One vs PS4 is the same argument as the 360 vs PS3 one. Forty people will be along shortly to justify their own purchases, but the fact is that there’s little to choose between the big 2.

First and foremost, I’d say “do you have any mates with consoles?” Buying into the same ecosystem gives you the option of online play with friends, though if it’s during the day they’d probably have to be unemployed friends.

Second, both have platform-specific titles. This may be relevant if there’s something specific you want to play.

Third, as you’re an ex-360 owner, the Xbox One has (limited but growing) backwards compatibility. If you’ve got any discs from the old console, or downloads associated with your account, you may well be able to play those too. (IIRC the PS4 can emulate the PS2, but can’t play PS3 games.)

Either way, I’d avoid really small hard drives. A typical full-size 360 game download can be 4-5Gb; the same thing on the One can run to 40-50Gb, and even with a disc it’s typically mandatory to install a portion of the game to disk. (The One’s drive isn’t readily upgradable but supports external USB3 drives; the PS4’s is upgradable I think.)

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Xbox One and Fallout 4. The month will fly.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Unless you’re tied to a particular game exclusive, then either a PS4 or Xbox One will be fine.

I have a PS4 as they are better, obviously, but also as I wanted to play Last Of Us: Remastered and Bloodborne and prefer the controller.

Bregante
    Cougar

I bought consoles up until an Xbox 360

HansRey

got a decent laptop/ computer? How about buying some games on Steam, instead.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Forty people will be along shortly to justify their own purchases

It’s the STW way….!

I’m quite happy still with my PS3. Yeah the graphics are better on the 4 but I’m still playing games trying to squeeze in game-time once the kids are in bed and the missus is on the laptop. Games are CHEAP and there’s some decent offers for cheap downloadable games on the PS store/club.

rickon
    Free Member

got a decent laptop/ computer? How about buying some games on Steam, instead.

Skyrim works pretty well on medium settings on my laptop, but it’s still not as smooth as playing on a console.

I did think the same though, as it’s cheaper to buy a couple of games on steam than a whole console!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 for thinking prison. Iz disappoint.

Can you build wheels? Rewarding skill to learn whilst you have time to kill?

slowoldman

Yup lots of skills to learn without vegging out in front of a console. Or listen to some nice music or read books.

Cougar

Yeah, what are you thinking? Why don’t you get outside and walk the d… oh.

Joking and consoles aside, hope the pooch’s op goes ok.

deadkenny
    Free Member

If it was prison I assume you get provided with one anyway. Not sure which one the state prefers though.

rickon
    Free Member

Wheel building – tick.

Other skills…. I do a lot of learning and teaching/coaching at work, so prefer not to while I’m off.

I’ll be riding in the morning for a few hours, then popping home to sit with the boy and make him feel like he’s not alone.

Drac

Get a console and learn that they’re actually not that bad for you.

PS4 FTW

Saccades
    Free Member

Fallout4 :sadface:

I’d suggest a PS3, dirt cheap (to buy and to buy games for), can swap the harddrive out to something much bigger (not that you really need over 250gb ever), ok as a media centre and costs nothing to run on-line.

10 year back catalogue of quality games.

Next question – what style of games do you like?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

If cost isn’t an issue, why buy a PS3?

PS4 is really not expensive, and has a big enough catalogue where AAA games can be had for £25 or less, and they really are a step up.

Witcher, Bloodborne, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Last Of Us, Batman: Arkham Knight and Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor all under £20.

Plus the media side of things is quicker. Also, it’ll be new, so you get a warranty. Although, if you can get a PS3 from Game/Cex, I think they give you a year.

Saccades
    Free Member

/holds hand up

I mis-read the bit where he said he’s had up until the 360.

Just get some other games for that, unless you fancy some sony specific stuff.

rickon
    Free Member

Don’t have the Xbox 360 anymore, bought it for the same reason that I had some time at home a while back.

Did think about a PS3, as they’re dirt cheap and loads of games I’ve never played… uncharted etc…

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Hi, your local PS4 rep here.

If you got a PS4 you could get Uncharted Collection for £24. I recently played through them before playing Uncharted 4, and they really have done a cracking job on remastering games 1 to 3.

…then once you’ve done, you can play UC4, which is bloody gorgeous 😀

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5nfXqffvyc[/video]

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

PS4 with GTA V online. Can happily shoot you in the face for a month if you like? Can’t say fairer than that.

Drac

GTA V is still great fun.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Wasn’t being anti – gamer: having been recently hit by a car I’m in a similar position of having a month house bound (so without the morning rides 😥 ). Not a gamer so just done Boardman’s auto bio in a day and a bit, got Jensies next (so books prob less cost effective than a game!), Eurosport sub, and a pile of rims etc which I really need to turn into wheels before the CX season.

Creg

I’ve got both a ps4 and an Xbox one for sale, both with games (certainly enough to keep you entertained for well over a month).

Feel free to drop me an email.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

If its for a month buy a ps3 can buy sub 100 quid with games plays blu rays and films off a usb stick and also its free to play online. Or 2nd hand ps4 for around 160-200 depending on model and approx 4 quid for a months ps plus to enable online play.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not really my field at all, I’m not a gamer. However, I did used to know a chap who had some sort of emulator on his pc and an arcade style button/joystick setup. Had all the old arcade games I remember from my youth. The hours that swallowed up were unbelievable.

Flaperon

If its for a month buy a ps3 can buy sub 100 quid with games plays blu rays and films off a usb stick

*cough* Cinavia *cough*

If you want to watch downloaded movies there are loads of sub-£40 Android media boxes out there. Some might even have a legit version of Kodi on them that isn’t linked into all the pirate sources.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Flaperon… there are ways round cineva hahah its only 1080p movies that get picked up buy it or “br” rips as the digi code built in. Only get 720p ones and your ok.

Ive used kodi for last 5-7 years even when it was xbmc on the original xbox build as the home dash. My main media source now all linked up to a hidden small form pc and to my tv and surround sound with a cheap tablet as a kodi remote 😉 works brilliant

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What console for a month inside?’ is closed to new replies.