Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • What conditions won’t you ride in?
  • cookeaa

Recent UK weather and the various posts on here saying things like;
    “You obviously don’t ride in Wet/Dark/windy Enough conditions… (Paraphrasing)”
    got me thinking, what conditions would people Never consider riding in

So go on then, what would it take for you to go “Nah, I’ll leave it today….”

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ice, and that's it. Even then I have 'should I/Shouldn't I' moments.

TheMooMonkey
    Free Member

summer sun always kills me!

robgarrioch

+1 for ice / minus temperatures (broke 2 shifters + front mudguard in 1 snowy /-8 degree lap at GTress last winter. Makes yer plastics brittle + fluids thicken)

If it's tipping down I'll wait till it's passed if possible – don't mind getting caught in the rain if I'm warmed up, but setting off in it… naah! (unless it's an event of some kind)

I don't enjoy riding if it's really windy or if it's snowing/there's snow on the ground.

It's nowt to do with wimping out (I've tried it to know I don't like it), it's just not enjoyable.

nickc

Erm, whenever I don't feel like riding? Like 99.9% of people that use this site, cycling in it's various forms is what I do as a hobby, I don't get paid to do it, so I'm under no pressure whatsoever to go cycling. So, sometimes when I've planned to go for a ride, and in the morning the weather's shite, i just shrug my shoulders sometimes, and play with the kids or on my guitar, I feel no compunction (or guilt for that matter) to boast that I'll MTFU and go out regardless of the conditions, as some folk on site's like this feel the need to do… No one's impressed, OK?

jedi

depends what and where im riding.
    i wont ride herts shore at all in the wet nor a skatepark.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

On road – Fog. Scares the jubblies out of me that cars may not see me. It will stop me commuting or riding for fun.

Off road – nothing. love riding in snow. If it's crisp and icy I just take a bit more care. Like cold rides though. Rain/wind is not that bad once you're out there. And the feeling when you get home after going out is ace.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Strong winds. Too dangerous.

Its hard to go out if its raining – but as 'puffer training I have been doing so. I enjoy a bit of snow and ice its fun to slide around- but boy does it make it hard work.

AndyP
    Free Member

whenever I don't feel like riding
    +1. Wind/snow/ice all fun when you're in the mood for it.

lowey

Nothing really prevents me from riding. I have to admit that i dont really like setting off in torrential rain, but I dont mind it once we are out. No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

grumm
    Free Member

Any.

djglover
    Free Member

Wind rain snow or mud, why spend longer traveling to the trails and cleaning bike than actually riding.

There is more to life than bikes

cookeaa

Really? I quite like riding in the snow, I probably go for a much slower/shorter ride but off road snow is quite nice, Icy Roads I won’t do though…

I dislike rain, I don’t mind lighter intermittent showers but pissing, heavy rain especially I find a chore, but I will ride in it…

vinnyeh

Wind- the prospect of a long exposed slog into a head wind is enough for me to put my head back under the duvet.
    Don't mind any of the others really, just cut the ride to suit.

domino

Wind and rain. I don't mind setting off when its not raining and then getting rained upon but setting off when its chucking it down I really dislike. As much as I am excited at trying out my new lights, I have been a 'weather wimp' this week, prefering the comfort of my living room and fire, the last two nights have been wet and windy.

Love riding in snow and ice though.

stumpy01

High winds I don't like.

DOn't like it if it's icy, after falling off last yr and sliding right down the middle of the road completely out of control (luckily on an empty country lane)

Rain – puts me off if it's raining when I start off, but if I actually force myself to get started, then I don't mind it once I am going. Likewise, if it starts raining during a ride, that's normally fine.

twohats
    Free Member

Relentless winter mud, hate the stuff, don't get any enjoyment out of plugging through it, hate cleaning the bike afterwards. I've done my formative years of riding in it and now consider MTBing more of a seasonal thing, Unless it freezes over!

oldfart

constant rain.after nearly 27 years as a postie getting soaking wet has no appeal to me .yes i have the kit but i also have the time to say bollox i'll ride tomorrow !!!
    same goes for night riding .i know it's different / fun ? but i am not willing to spend that sort of money on a light ta very much .(£200 plus !!!! )

grumm
    Free Member

but i am not willing to spend that sort of money on a light ta very much .(£200 plus !!!! )

Have you not read the 3-4 million threads that tell you you don't have to spend anywhere near that?

cheers_drive

Well said nickc!
    I hate mud – well and least the slippery caly gloop around here. I get no enjoyment not being able to ride fast and then spending longer cleaning tha bike than actually riding. Hence the winter is for road riding and trail centres.
    Ice and high winds is a no go on the road.

SaxonRider

The last few days. The combination of extreme wind and rain is unbearable. When the ground is so saturated that the water sits on top and your tyres sink right in is terrible.

As for snow and cold, though, I love it! Give me temperatures like we had last Christmas and I'll go out every day.

Bregante

First time I went to kielder (march 08) I set of from home (manchester area) it was +3c but when we arrived it was heavy snow. Not being familiar with the trail made it interesting to say the least, especially when two thirds round we tried to push back up a section to session it again to find we had just ridden down a sheet of ice!! Usually I don't mind riding in the snow as long as it's somewhere I am familiar with.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Nothing will stop me on Thursday night with the lads but when I'm on my own I'll probably cry off from rain combined with temperatures below 10 degrees and do something else, run/swim maybe.

Mud's great and down here in the south a heavy frost has the trails riding like summer. Baked hard/frozen hard there's not a lot of difference.
    Frozen puddles are great fun to wheelie over, you never know if the back wheel will go forwards, left, right or down.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

deluge, or really heavy snow, otherwise it's all gravy.

Travis

rain,
    here in Beijing, it's the only place I know of, that when it rains you come back absolutely filthy, covered in black crap. It's awful and gets everywhere, makes a right mess of your bike and you even can't wash it out of your clothes

gross

cheese@4p

I don't usually ride when in a stoned condition

binners

I'm northern and therefore immune to rain. I bloody well have to be. I'd never leave the house otherwise. It never stops 🙁

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have been out in all conditions. Has to be a real storm to stop me going out. I was once called a tart for not going out in a storm. When I went up cannock chase the next day there were trees all over the shop. It was carnage. I'm sure I would have been killed if we had gone.

clubber
    Free Member

The only conditions that might stop me would be if I was going to ride somewhere where the ground got so soft in the rain that it's like riding through treacle.

Other than that, nothing really. In a perverse way, I actually quite like riding in crap conditions so long as I've got the kit (bike and clothing) for it.

rj
    Free Member

Light drizzle

snowslave

I might change my tyres in the case of a nuclear strike on Manchester causing a firestorm, but no pesky weather is going to stop me daddio.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Very high levels cosmic or solar radiation, twinned with 100% humidity.

Otherwise anything, ice is PITA on 23mm slicks, but I don't find wind or rain that much of a problem. Like clubber, I kinda like sh^tty weather.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Generally speaking, the outdoors. Not keen, really.

joolsburger
    Free Member

when it's really really cold went and very windy I think twice.

Ti29er
    Free Member

If it's chucking it down and I'm at home with access to the Met Web site.
    Delay a few hours and make it more enjoyable.

Below zero, with a wind and after a wet few days.
    Then I go spinning instead.
    No need to ride in shi""y weather when you don't need to and gain very little by doing so.

Been-there, seen-it, done-it. Why repeat something just because you can or have already endured?

alpin
    Free Member

when it's raining as i'm meant to be setting off. different if it starts when i'm out.

i like snow. last year i used to ride with a loose collection of people and we'd go out in any weather. in fact, we also met up if it wa raining. these were usually 4-5 hour rides.

fbk
    Free Member

I'll ride in any weather – just plan the ride to suit.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad preparation" 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

when it is realy , really hot …so one weekend a year I stay in..need too much water, sweaty etc. I am being serious.

Wind can be a pain especially if you are going up high.
    I have kids, free time is rare and when I get the chance I go.
    I commute and not keen on road miles when icy, purely a safety issue.

odannyboy
    Free Member

Im suprised how many people said mud??
    if youre talking clay like,claggy sticks to the tyres/seatstays and will not come off under any circumstances type mud then fair enough but if not?? 😯
    mud that isnt glue like is all part of the fun!!well for me it is.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘What conditions won’t you ride in?’ is closed to new replies.