• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What compressor for bike use (tubeless tyres)
  • vdubber67
    Free Member

New to the whole tubeless thing, and struggling with a track pump! What do I need to look for in a compressor? Any recommendations? Do I need to source a special presta adaptor?

Ta

Rich

dan1980
    Free Member

I failed with a track pump recently, and someone from here suggested a CO2 canister thingamy.

Worked a treat, if you press down the tire over the valve core, and then empty the can into the valve it pops the bead into the rim.

clubber
    Free Member

My top tip that’s not failed yet if struggling with a track pump. Take out the valve core and then use the schraeder side of your pump and pump like crazy. Get some decent pressure in there and you should be able to remove the pump and stick your finger on the valve tube without losing much pressure then same again to get the valve in. Basically, without the core you can get air in much quicker.

Wally

2nd remove core.

TheSwede
    Free Member

&

Garry_Lager

Don’t shell out for a compressor, fking hell. It’s a bike, not a hot air balloon. What rim are you using? A track pump inflates UST tyres on mavic rims nae bother – no need for a compressor, done it 100s of times. If it’s Stans or something else then maybe more difficult, but still doable with tips like the one above.

Another tip if it’s being a real bastard is to put an inner tube in and fully inflate till the tyre seats, then deflate and unseat on one side. Take the tube out that side and you’ll then be able to get the tyre inflated and seated with one side already done.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Stans Crest rims, yellow tape. Racing Ralph non UST. Already done the tyre trick for one side….will try the valve core thingy next!

Wally
    flyingfox
    Free Member

Careful of CO2 – we tried it and it froze the latex!

dan1980
    Free Member

I’ve seen things posted things about CO2 and sealent.

Unless I did it wrong, I put the tire on the wheel, used CO2 to get the bead onto the rim, then removed the valve core to add the sealent.

I don’t see why you’d have sealent in the tire before it’s on the rim….

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Non IST tyres is your problem.

nosemineb
    Free Member

I use crests also. My tip is try spreading the tyre over the valve area to its seated position by hand. Then use light pressure with one hand while pumping with the other.
    I like the valve removal idea i will try that next time.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Why go to the expense of a compressor when you can get good results here:

vdubber67
    Free Member

Pawsy_Bear – Member
    Non IST tyres is your problem

What is it about UST tyres that would make it easier? (Genuine question!)

z1ppy

Well unfortunately I gave in & bought a compressor, as fitting tubeless was too hit & miss for me with a track pump.. One of the lidl ones does me, aldi were selling the same thing a couple of weeks back (check your local stores for stock), bit loud but it does the job. Aldi also sell lots of attachments so you can use it for more than just blowing up tubless tyres

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What compressor for bike use (tubeless tyres)’ is closed to new replies.