Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • what commuting tyres?!
  • tonyd

Just bought a commuter, it has SB8s which will be good for exploring new routes to work when we move but meantime I’m thinking I might put some more road oriented rubber on there.

I’m a fan of Schwalbe and have read good things on here about the Marathon Plus IIRC, would be looking at 32mm

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-plus-smartguard-city-tyre/

Thoughts, recommendations?

Thanks

Ben_H

Conti GP 4 Season 28c – every time for me.

psling
    Free Member

What type of bike (eg MTB, CX, road)? What surfaces is your commute on (eg tarmac, tow path, cycle trail, off road)?

kayak23

Just did miles and miles over 3 weeks in Peru on some Schwalbe Marathons. No problems at all. Puncture free.. Great for the road, wouldn’t want to push them in dirt too much.

tonyd

Sorry should have added – they’ll be going on a Pompetamine with an Alfine hub, racks, guards, etc so weight isn’t really a consideration. 32mm would probably be favorite.

Surface is mostly tarmac, so not so great. Probably at some point there’ll be some light off road but that’s yet to be determined – pending house move so I’m not completely sure of the eventual route, but if need be I can put the SB8s back on for more off road grip.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Schwalbe land cruisers work for me – perfect for poor Tarmac and light off road

pgh1892
    Free Member

I use the marathon plus on my roadbike, they are heavy for road tyres but hearing glass crunch beneath my wheels or hitting a pot hole in the dark doesn’t fill me with dread anymore, I didn’t notice a difference in speed but im not the world’s fastest, great tyres in my opinion, the reflective sidewall is good for dark night’s too, about to go out for a ride now, cue flat tyres

cardiac
    Free Member

I have marathon plus, they weigh about 1kg each. I still manage 16mph average on my pompetamine town bike. No worries of flats and they are comfortable. I have 35c on my pomp.

Northwind

Marathon Plus is a good tyre, lasts forever and laughs at punctures but they’re heavy and a bit speed sapping… Just replaced mine with a set of Kojaks which still have puncture protection but weigh about a third as much, it’s like taking the brakes off. But I don’t believe for a second that they’ll prove as tough.

samuri
    Free Member

Marathons here. Great on the road, fine in mud off-road, fine on gravel.

Terrible on ice.

tonyd

A kilo for marathon plus?!

irc

A kilo for marathon plus?!

Just about – 940g

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-plus-smartguard-city-tyre/

Marathon Supremes are half the weight and still virtually puncture proof. One puncture in 3000 miles for me on tour this spring – 700×37 Supremes. The 26×2 Supremes on my commuter/shopping bike have never punctured.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I ran conti ultra gator skins in London, great tyres in 28mm. Never got a puncture in 3 years riding 22 miles a day

robbo76
    Free Member

I use conti gator skins for commuting i have never had a puncture in two years

Losidan
    Free Member

I used conti city contacts for ages with no punctures. Onroad, canal towpath and some rocky off road. They were the dogs.
    On Road i use gatorskins and they are cracking too. Only had one puncture in a year and that wqs only due to me going stupid round a corner and smacking a stuck up flagstone really hard.

mulacs

/\ this

steveoath
    Free Member

Marathon plusses here too.

For ice, get the spiky version 😀

Daffy

Vittoria Voyager Hyper.

37c, puncture protection, folding bead, less than 400g, reflective sidewall and exceptional grip. Currently for sale at On-One for £20 each…less than half price.

tonyd

Ah yes, I was trying to remember which you’d said Martin, thanks.

Good info so far folks! I’ve also been running conti gatorskins (23c) on a 35 mile round trip commute on my road bike. No punctures other than a snakebite last week when I hit a rock in the road at 30mph! Scared the bejesus out of me I can tell thee.

Edit: Those vittorias might be worth a punt at half price

tonyd

Hmm one thing – is there enough clearance on a pompetamine frame to run 37mm tyres and mudguards? I can go and measure, but just in case anyone knows off hand.

tonyd

Bump for the morning crowd.

Vittorias (from On One anyway) are too big, max 35mm clearance on the Pompetamine.

Marathon Plus looking favorite at the moment I think:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-marathon-supreme-folding-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod78427

Followed closely by the Gatorskins (although these are much cheaper and I know they wear well):

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/continental-gatorskin-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod18800

I think 32c is going to be a good size for me.

Daffy

Gator skins are bloody lethal in the wet.

stratman
    Free Member

I’m on Conti 4 seasons 28c. Only had 2 punctures, both pinch flats, one bad enough to ding the rim. Otherwise absolutely fine

richmars

Schwalbe land cruisers

Also work for me, used for about 10 months, about 2200 miles, off and on road.
    Just had my first punctures, 2 in 2 days, one a huge nail (rear), second a lovely piece of flint (front). I think most tires would failed with the size of these bits.

GrahamS

Work well for me.

Roll well and are sturdy enough for bridleways etc. shrug off potholes and glass.

Two punctures in a year: one from a fishing hook and another from a massive shard of glass. I don’t think many tyres would have survived those without running slime etc.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘what commuting tyres?!’ is closed to new replies.