Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • What (commuter) crankset?
  • z1ppy

Normally I’d just go deore, but a work colleague has asked me… his middle ring has gone on a crankset that the chainrings can’t be replaced.
    So what would you recommend for him? I pointed out he going to need a chain and cassette too and he has enough sense to understand why… but £60 for a deore crankset for ‘just’ riding to work, might not go down well.

(his current BB is sound but I’ll bring in a crank extrator tomorrow to see what type it is, just assume we’ll go new for now)

thomthumb
    Free Member

dont need a crank extractor – if you can see the square axle then its square taper, octalink will say on the crank external will have external bb cups. that leaves isis.

there is non groupset shimano lower than deore.

PJay
    Free Member

If the bb is sound he might be able to keep it. CRC has a number of Shimano square taper cranksets for under £20 and an Octalink one for under £35. Is it a 9 speed setup?

tinsy
    Free Member

Is it an MTB crankset he is after of a road one?

z1ppy

good question tinsy, he runs a mtb at the moment but would be happy with a more road orientated one.

CRC has a number of Shimano square taper cranksets for under £20 and an Octalink one for under £35. – only if you want short crank arms..

TT – it all covered in crap but is probably a Isis going by your description (s’not a shimano crankset), still want to confirm it though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What (commuter) crankset?’ is closed to new replies.