Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What commuter bike?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I want a bike that will commute about 14 miles a day. No drop bars. It’s a pretty flat commute. Stockport to Manchester. Want something that won’t get flats too. I’m probably going to go on cycle to work scheme so under a grand too.
    Suggestions?

funkrodent

Nothing wrong with Evans own brand Pinnacle bikes. This one represents excellent v4m

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-lithium-5-2017-hybrid-bike-EV275575

Full Deore groupo incl brakes. Would possibly want to swap out the tyres (I’d go for 34mm Vittoria Hyper) and wheels down the line, but it’s reasonably light and will cope with the worst that the Manchester roads can throw at it and you can whack rack and guards on if you want. No brainer to me..

simondbarnes

Want something that won’t get flats too

Specialized Alibi

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Any decent hybrid, plus…
    Proper mudguards
    Rack and panniers
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, kept inflated properly

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Not crucial, but is there a bike with my description that would be capable of a long distance ride like Manchester to Blackpool? Or am I into the realms of a roadie then?

joemmo
    Free Member

Any decent hybrid bike Would also be good for touring, just needs your legs to make it work.

Don’t rule out a drop bar bike though, cyclocross/ adventure/ gravel bikes can make good commuter bikes and be a lot of fun on light off road riding too. The drop bars give you more choice of hand and body positions on longer rides. Change of tyres and you’ve got a capable road bike too.

.. And don’t forget to budget for guards and lights in your c2w package.

midlifecrashes
    coolhandluke
    Free Member

very very happy with my TREK FX

Lots of different price brackets to choose from too.

I was lucky enough to get a 7.7 from 2016 a few months ago, reduced but still quite spenny. It was a few hundred quid dearer than I wanted to spend but I’m more than happy I found the extra funds.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

something with Continental gatorskin tyres

fasthaggis

Any decent hybrid, plus…
    Proper mudguards
    Rack and panniers
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, kept inflated properly

Just put some Stans in the tubes,or fit some Slime tubes.

slackboy

A friend as one of these for commuting – he loves it; belt drive and hub gears make it low maintenance and clean in commuting traffic.

https://www.cube.eu/uk/2017/trekking/hyde/cube-hyde-race-blacknflashgreen-2017/

He also used for 60+ mile rides through wales in April but it wasn’t ideal for that really.

Kahurangi

Re puncture proofing, I’ve also used the Panaracer flataway tyre liners with success the last few years. Not to curse them but they’ve been more effective than Schwalbe Marathon tyres – as the Marathons wear out, they become less thick and therefore effective.

Also for ++ sensible commuter points consider Alfine hub gears, belt drive, dynamo lights. The Canyon Urban range will cover most of these but at a price.

I got my wife one of these (add a rack but no dynamo lights)

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/376936/products/ex-display-scott-sub-speed-10-2016-hybrid-bike-grey-medium.aspx

and that this price I’m tempted to n+1 (except I just rebuilt my commuter for that rpice frame only)

Edit – seriously, that’s a bargain for someone.

muzzle
    Free Member

I really like my Boardman Hybrid Team.

RustySpanner

Genesis Skyline 30?

£750, comes with a Tubus rack (not in the picture) dynamo lights, guards etc.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Bang for the buck, its hard to look past the Voodoo Marasa at £320 before BC discount.

silvermatt
    Free Member

I’ve used a Voodoo Marasa for the last twelve months. Its been perfect for me and I prefer the slightly chunkier tyres on the rough potholed road surfaces. Discs are brilliant and haven’t had to touch them once. Grips were awful but I swapped them for Ergon copies that are better than the original Ergon I have on my MTB.

I’m in the don’t spend more than you need to camp on a commuter bike. I think this set up cost just over £300 including full mudguards and pannier. They take hammer in the winter months and I can’t be bothered cleaning it when I get home on an evening. I’ll use it for two or three years then ebay it when its past its best and get a new one.

silvermatt
    Free Member

Ha – beaten to it!!

aazlad
    Free Member

Mobike!

philjunior
    Free Member

That Genesis above looks good, ticks all the boxes. Essentially for your requirements a hybrid with rack and mudguards and a dynamo, preferably with discs. Put your choice of Marathons (or the Vittoria touring tyres) on according to desired price/weight/speed/protection level.

I would say consider drop bars, but it’s more of a comfort/preference thing, for longer rides you’ll just take a bit longer to get around, and you’ll end up paying more to get decent disc brakes.

And don’t worry too much about punctures, if you go too far with the protection you’ll end up going so slow you might as well have a puncture a week for the extra time it’ll take.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What commuter bike?’ is closed to new replies.