Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What coffee machine? – I know nothing about them
  • Harry_the_Spider

So… I want a coffee machine for Christmas and the wife has set a £100 budget.

I want to be able to do black coffee of varying strengths but only small quantities with that fancy looking white scum on the top.

Suggestions?

Harry_the_Spider

Weird. That is the one that I was looking at!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think there’s a DeLonghi one on there as well.

Just check out anything with good reviews in your budget. Saying all that, £100 won’t get you something very good, but it will get you something that will give you what you mentioned in your OP.

I have my coffee hand ground by pixies at the bottom of the garden, after they’ve eaten, digested and shit the beans out. So you might want to consider whether you’ll be buying pre-ground coffee or grinding your own.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Harry the Spider, we have the older version of that. The design of it makes getting the water tank in and out a bit interesting. Classic Italian, design, like my old Alfa.

I was too cack handed to use it properly, but have since bought ESE coffee pods which make it a lot cleaner and less of a faff to use.

I like McDonald’s cappuccino though, so I’m probably the not the best to ask.

Harry_the_Spider

Pixie shit coffee? Sounds very hip.

What tyres for my fixie?

enfht
    Free Member

My coffee is hand ground by ewoks who eat nothing but pixies overdosed on expensive coffee. It doesn’t improve the flavour of my coffee imo but the ewoks insisted this be put in their contract.

Sandwich

Have a look on the Gaggia website where they sell factory refurbs for further ideas.

khani
    Free Member

Nescafé and squirty cream.
    Made with boiling water…in a teapot…

boblo
    Free Member

Standard answer: more money = Rancilio Silvia and, oh, budget same again for the grinder.

Having written that, I used pre ground for a couple of years and there is a marked difference but not in a total crap vs fantastic sort of way. I ended up finding a very nice Macap grinder on evil bay direct from Italy for half price (still nearly £300!).

Harry_the_Spider

Standard answer without reading the brief 😉

£100 budget

boblo
    Free Member

This is STW. The rules state the answer must NOT relate to the brief 🙂

Get her to spend more. Well she does love you doesn’t she? That’s the sort of emotional blackmail usually deployed in these circumstances int it? 🙂

Kryton57

The right option is to pop to Comet and but a discounted Nespresso machine for £60.

RustySpanner

Serious question:
    Are these things £98 better than a cafetiere?
    If so, why?

Ms S is into her coffee and might make a good prezzie.

Edit:
    Sorry for the hijack, I’ll start another thread.

Alex

We have the Gaggia Cubika. 5 Years sterling service, two cups a day min. Don’t bother with the milk heating nozzle much nowadays even tho it makes nicer hot milk than the microwave. As said getting water tank out a bit of hassle, but otherwise as long as you keep it clean/backflush it every so often and use good water (we filter ours) it’s ace.

it also makes proper ‘boiler about to explode noises’.

porlus
    Free Member

My coffee machine is a gaggia baby d and cost around 300 at the time. Works well commercial quality parts. Don’t use it anymore as I prefer my bialetti stove top pot. Get a big one and a tuttocrema for making froffy milk. Loads cheaper than a machine. And still able to make good coffee. You just don’t get the crema on top that’s only downside

ScottChegg
    Free Member

My biggest conceern with these is the noise. If I’m making espresso at 5am I don’t want the noise that some seem to make.

Is the Gaggia quiet, or as loud as the DeLonghi I used to use?

Pembo
    Free Member

I’ve just gone back to using one of these:

I’d forgotten what a great cup they make.

Innes
    Free Member

Delongi EC152

Porlex Hand Grinder

I use these two. I try to buy good fresh beans, and get really good coffee from this set up. It is in your budget as well.

There are fancier looking Delonghi machines, but the workings seem the same.

johnners
    Free Member

I’ve got an older S/S Cubika, I seem to have mastered the art of getting the tank out, it used to be a faff but now I can’t see how it ever could have been.

That bit of smugness aside, it’s a good buy for £100 or so though the heater in mine’s a bit feeble. Later ones may be better.

simonbowns
    Free Member

Has no one mentioned an Aeropress yet?!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Aeropress is just an upside down cafetiere; slightly stonger brew, but not much in it. They are not as good as the hype.

simonbowns
    Free Member

no, they’re awesome, use one at home and work. great for just one/two of you, none of that gritty crap left in your brew either. far far nicer than a cafetiere imho

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ooh I’d seen the Gaggia Cappuccino machine for Xmas too…..I had a Nissan Qashqai last night though so I may had my present for this year!

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I’ve just gone back to using one of these:
    I’d forgotten what a great cup they make.

Not a great coffee drinker, but I’d always read/thought that you were meant to make coffee with water a bit below boiling point, and that since those moka things boil on the stove for a while they actually made worse coffee than a cafetiere? They do look much cooler though.

ericemel
    Free Member

Porcelain cone and paper filter every time – spend your money on a grinder 🙂

The if you must – get a espresso machine.

wrecker
    Free Member

Aeropress coffee is a world apart from that from a cafetiere. Does use a lot of coffee though.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Another vote for Aeropress. It isn’t great for groups (but then neither are espresso machines) but if you prefer long coffee and its for 1-2 people its great and reasonable. Less hastle than a Moka pot and IMO similar quality.

FuzzyWuzzy

Way too much faff using an aeropress, mine ended up in the bin

ericemel
    Free Member

I find those fixed filters good – but a lot messier than paper.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Way too much faff using an aeropress, mine ended up in the bin

Only thing easier is a bean to cup machine or instant coffee.

burko73

I recently got a delonghi bean to cup machine for £260 off amazon. It’s amazing. Great coffee minimal cleaning and easy to use. Amazing espressos with great crema. Really takes the hassle out of my morning fix….

Kryton57

Pembo’s pic inspired me to dust off the stovetop pot this morning. Reminded me how good such a simple device can be…

therealhoops
    Free Member

Dolce Gusto every time.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What coffee machine? – I know nothing about them’ is closed to new replies.