Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What CO2 inflator (MTB)
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Just looking ahead to Xmas for things I’d like but CBA to buy 🙂

What’s good for retro throwback 26″ MTB tubes (yes really)

And how much gas will I need

jimdubleyou

Get a combi one with a pump included.

Running out of CO2 after multiple punctures is even less fun than multiple punctures.

funkweasel
    Free Member

You’ll use one canister per attempt at inflating your tyre. As jim said, get one with a pump, or at least a separate pump, just in case.

Suggsey
    Free Member

From experience get I one like the genuine innovations one that holds 16g CO2 cartridges …….any that haven’t got a full cover over them when you forget to put a glove on to hold it will freeze burn your hand………I always carry three CO2 cartridges every ride and a cheap high volume pump because I’m lazy when it comes to topping up tubeless tyres 😆

christhetall
    Free Member

This is quite good

Link

As everyone else has said, you need the back up of being able to pump up by hand, but having the CO2 option is useful when it’s time is short and the midges are starting to bite

DougD

I’ve just ordered the Lezyne Pressure Drive CFH as it was on Sport Pursuit. Pump and CO2, looks like it should be ok.

Sport Pursuit – Lezyne Pressure Drive

mattsccm
    Free Member

Truflo. Cheap and perfect. Been using co2 for decades and this works. Cartridges from eBay.

pdw
    Free Member

This one:

https://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=269&category=4270

£5 including two cartridges. Very small, and works perfectly.

rocketman
    Free Member

Thanks lads much appreciated!

cheekyget
    Free Member

I’ve had two in my time……1st was a microflate….smallest one around ….it was ok but to control the CO2 was a matter of twisting the bottle……and the bottle gets very cold!!
    The seal eventually went in it …so now I’m on my 2nd one

I can’t remember the name of it , but the CO2 bottle goes in its own holder , so no cold hands and the to control the CO2 I now have a trigger…..in all its much better
    But as mentioned above I always take 3 bottles with me , one in the holder and 2 spare

sideshowdave
    Free Member

I use this very mini pump

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I just got a cheap one off eBay and it’s been fine. Well made, sturdy, simple so therefore very small, I think it was only about a tenner or so with a few cartridges. Depending upon what tyre and wheel size you have and what pressures you run one cartridge probably won’t be enough. I use one cartridge on my 29″ 2.35 tyres and it doesn’t inflate to the pressure I usually run (30 – 35 psi) so I top up with a small pump, so a few pumps on the pump and i’m good to go, but on 26″ one cartridge should be good to inflate on its own. You can bulk buy the cartridges off eBay too.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Careful with ones that use a container for the cartridge. I had one that wouldn’t take threaded so the container must be used to hold the cartridge. Fine except it wouldn’t fit bigger than 12g carts.

Got one now that takes threaded which means you can just use the head itself if you want bigger carts or want a tiny inflator to stick in a bag/pocket. However yes you need something to hold it with that’s insulated enough to avoid finger burn. Some gloves I discovered aren’t necessarily thick enough!

co2cartridges.co.uk for cheap carts and inflators. The more carts you buy the better value they are. Don’t buy in the high street. Massively overpriced.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Pump, buy once needs no refills

TiRed

The GI microflate nano is excellent. The ones you press onto the valve to activate are less reliable and less controllable. I keep separate nanos in different packs along with two cartridges. The press on Giant branded one is retired as a spare in the garage. I always carry a pump and never use it.

sparkyrhino

Leyzene drive trigger,is good screws on valve, works a treat.just wear a glove.16oz cartridges cheap on flea bay,

devash
    Free Member

A hand pump is essential as a backup but a C02 inflator saves so much time and faff. Always worth carrying both if you have space.

DaveRambo

I have 2 Lezyne alloy drives (one in my road pack and one in MTB) and take them with a pump.

Reasoning is that if the weather is crap / cold etc I use the CO2 as it’s quick and the pump is a backup. I usually only take 1 CO2 cartridge with me, inside it.

Been handy on a few group rides where people are cold and tired and because they contain the whole canister they are easy to use (as they get very cold)

Well made and have lasted several years now so recommended.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What CO2 inflator (MTB)’ is closed to new replies.