Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What clippers, for head shaving?
  • ml
    Free Member

I was expecting to find a wealth of knowledge as I searched the forum, but I’m not seeing anything. So, question as per title – please can I have some recommendations of clippers for a 0 haircut?

richmars

Wahl from Argos. Had it for years, still works fine.

thepurist

Mains Wahl, don’t bother with rechargeable

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andysredmini
    Free Member

Wahl balding. Best I have ever had and cut close (zero overlap) enough to shave my face.

RobHilton
    Free Member

What they said.

Just checked out the Whal site and some come with steel combs – I never knew! Now I just have to wait a couple of decades for my current set to die and I can get some more :mrgreen:

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

personally i would just look for a deal on some wahl at argos et al, i think i spend about 15-20quid a time (only on my thrid one in many many years), then buy some new ones when they start getting a bit blunt.

slightly better ones though are nicer to use than the very cheap ones.

Basil

Wahl Balding.
    Around £47
    The best I have had.Amazing close shave and built to last.

nosedive
    Free Member

I got a set of wahl home haircut in 1995, i might have to replace them as the plastic guards are snapping. Think i will go for another set

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I use a Remington Quick Cut, does the job for me.

http://en.remington-europe.com/men/grooming/hair-clippers/quickcut-hair-clipper-hc4250.html

Cheers, Steve

loddrik
    Free Member

windyg
    Free Member

As above Wahl, i paid about £25 for mine about 8 years ago, still going strong.

simondbarnes

Remington Quick Cut

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Another Wahl user here, well and truly paid for themselves over being clipped at the barbers, over the last ~10 years.

Harry_the_Spider

Remmington rechargeable here. Can’t fault it.

andy4d

Have a mains/rechargeable Philips that’s about to die so going to wahl next myself. I prefer cordless as I don’t have a mirror near a plug.

cchris2lou

I have a Wahl and it is crap , vibrate like hell and doesnt cut properly .

what am i doing wrong ?

timber

I’ve got some cordless clippers. Means I can cut my hair in the field so that I don’t have to clean up afterwards.

A little nervous wondering if they have enough charge mid-cut.

enfht
    Free Member

Cchris, blades probably need oiling. Use the correct clipper oil.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I have a Wahl and it is crap , vibrate like hell and doesnt cut properly

Power screw needs adjusting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AffDYHBCCM0

Check blades are aligned

ffej
    Free Member

Mains powered Wahl.
    New plastic combs are a few quid from eBay when the supplied ones wear out or get lost.
    Tried rechargeable remington.. it was terrible.

Tinners

If you like to let it grow a bit in between cuts, make sure you get a spare set of clippers. Asking the wife to give it the once over to tidy it up at 11pm on a Sunday night (before an important presentation first thing Monday), only for it to die mid cut ain’t funny. Your only option will be to cut the remaining hair with kitchen scissors and the end result is, frankly appalling. It’ll get you the sympathy vote and lots of pitiful stares on the train, but it’s not an experience you’ll enjoy. Apparently.

peanutcracknell
    Free Member

Braun superclipper gets my vote. Several years in and used every week and they’re still going strong. Rechargeable too.?

tall_martin

Wahl plug in ones. Bought in 1997 and still work perfectly

yunki
    Free Member

wahl plug in

give ’em a regular bit of oil though if you get the super cheap ones

I’ve only got through 2 in over 25 years of beautiful grade 0 hairstyles and that’s cos I dropped the first one

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Yep, Wahl Close Cut. They do what they should.

ml
    Free Member

Thanks for all the recommendations. My preference would be cordless – so that I can stand outside and do it without the cleanup like @timber – but the reviews I’ve seen online for the Wahl Balding look like exactly what I’m after.

@Tinners – laughing, in sympathy. I cut my brother’s hair with clippers when we were teenagers, and I ‘accidentally’ used a much shorter comb that I meant to. He had to survive a week or two of high school with a nice big stripe down the middle of his head. Still waiting for him to forgive me.

maccruiskeen

@Tinners – laughing, in sympathy. I cut my brother’s hair with clippers when we were teenagers, and I ‘accidentally’ used a much shorter comb that I meant to. He had to survive a week or two of high school with a nice big stripe down the middle of his head. Still waiting for him to forgive me.

I cut my own hair with them. Use clippers but don’t cut all that short because that makes me look like an extra from One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. One day I didn’t click the comb on securely and gave myself and attractive diagonal bald stripe across the top of my head.

On the cordless front – in the last few years even cheap Wahl ones are better than they used to be. What can vary between makes and models though is whether you can use them while they’re charging. Some unnessasarily fancy ones sit in a dock to charge and / or won’t switch on while plugged in which means if a battery does die mid-cut you’re doomed.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What clippers, for head shaving?’ is closed to new replies.