Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What clipless pedals for DH and the like?
  • jimthelad
    Free Member

Currently using Shimano DX’s with the black plastic body. Always used SPD’s so happy with the clip system itself, not so keen on the lack of grip offered when not clipped in. The RHS pedal needs replacing after a few hard rock strikes. Not sure what to go for. Thinking maybe TIME DH-4, but the MX-6 seems more popular. Or maybe even splash out on the CB Mallet DH. Not used either Time Atac or CB systems before.

Opinions/reviews needed.

stevede
    Free Member

The Time versions are supposed to be really good. I rate my mallet dh pedals despite not liking the majority of crank bros kit due to more time being spent making their products look nice than making them work/last. My mallets have survived winter which is more than can be said for most of my kit! Much prefer them to my dx’s due to being able to ride them unclipped a bit easier and find them easier to get back into as you don’t need to be as precise. If you push up a lot be aware though of the brass cleats, they don’t last at all if you do a bit of walking in them, shite design IMO but it apparently prevents wear to the pedal itself!

stevede
    Free Member

Oh and HT are prototyping something similar to the mallets and even burgtec were working on some a while back so both could be future decent options.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mallet DH, slightly wider platform than the standard Mallet, design similar to the previous one but with the split body that enables a service to be done in 10 mins. About 1 set of bearings a year on my overused trail bike on the mallet 3’s, got candies on the new design and nothing done to them yet.

Entry level for CB pedals is the 3. Full bearings and no bushing I wouldn’t go for the other 2 models.

Under the feet of most of the Dh riders in SA last weekend were Mallet DH’s.

darrenspink
    Free Member

OP When/Why wouldn’t you be clipped in (out of interest). When im not I start to worry.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not the OP but from my experience there are times where feet come out deliberately or not and being able to stamp on the pedal and carry on is important. If you know you have a decent and grippy platform under your foot it’s a lot less of a worry.

I’ve been using the same set of standard Mallets on my (albeit under-used) AM/Trail/Enduro mountain bike for over 5 years now with no issues

gonzy
    Free Member

i started off on a pair of shimano dx-m636’s before i upgraded them to a pair of dx-m646’s which had a narrower profile….i’ve had the 646’s for 8 years now and they’re still going strong (they’re the ones with the alloy cage)

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I use Time Z-Control which have been great over the 3yrs i’ve used them so far. Nice wide platform, same clip system as Atac, completely bulletproof and mud-proof. I use XC style shoes with the hard moulded grips on the sole and they seem to grip the pedals OK when not clipped in, but would be much better with the flat rubber soled style shoe.

A mate uses Mallets, seem to be very similar and he’s v.happy with them, but he’s alway’s ‘servicing’ them – maybe three or four times a year. Doesn’t seem to be a big or expensive job to be fair, but the concept of servicing pedals is completely alien to me. I’ve never ever done it and don’t intend starting now – especially since another mate has just replaced his Z-Controls after 10yrs of maintenance and trouble free use as the spring has finally worn and snapped on him.

sq225917
    Free Member

I use the XTR trail on my Commencal Meta SX, plenty enough pedal area, easy to flip and enter.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have Times on my gnarpoon and they are teh orsumz.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Thinking maybe TIME DH-4

I love the DH-4’s would defiantly by again. I uses them for DH and Enduro racing. I use them with Shimano AM45 Shoes

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What clipless pedals for DH and the like?’ is closed to new replies.