Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • what classic bike item do you wish would make a comeback?
  • racefaceec90

ye gods i’m actually doing a bike thread (it’s been a while 😯
    i actually rode my bike today (i cannot believe how unfit i am at present/no change there 😳
    anyhoo i was thinking to myself about some of the old stuff i used to have/lusted after.
    some of the things i miss:-
    fantastic (i used to have a pink triangle frame/shoulder bag on my first mtb dawes ascent from 1988 😀
    YES 3 in one pic here purple onza bar ends,grafton brake levers and foam brake grips CLASS! oh and tinker’s klien adroit isn’t bad either 😉 what the hell happened to grafton/cook bros racing e.t.c. which leads me onto

small companies that made cnc products for bikes (at highly inflated prices/although they were purple anodised so it was worth the expense 😀
    so over to you.

loum
    Free Member

Puple anodising’s always cool.
    I still reckon thumbshifters rule, but not seen any for years.

toby1

Pedro’s milk bottle levers – I got a free pair from mbuk in the 90’s (?) and they are my longest serving lever they flex before they snap and are therefore most excellent!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Thumbies are still around! Either originals still going strong or Pauls mounts with bar ends shifters fitted.

Cook bros have been making an attempt at a comeback and have a dogbone crank on show.

Me I’d like to see more fillet brazed skinny steel tubed bikes please 🙂

ton

Bontrager privateer, made by Keith.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hite-Rite FTW!

nicko74

Anodised skinny bar ends. That and rigid GTs, I think

Taff
    Free Member

Milk levers… jeez that’s going back some! Always liked the shark finchain stay protector and products by Dave ie DCD. More trick bits that anything

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Klein paint jobs
    Kona paint jobs (and graphics)
    Orange Marzocchis
    Those Bontragers

scaredypants

aldi had some frame bags like that 1st pic sometime last year

(one was on my road bike until very recently)

muddyground
    Free Member

Muddy Ground

Innocence and simplicity please. You know, where all you ever needed for a week in the hills was a rigid Clockwork on 1.8″ skin wall tyres, few mates to take the piss, some sarnies in tin foil for lunch with water for your riding beverage, and beers afterwards in some smoke filled pub.

Actually did any of that ever really happen ;¬)

abennell
    Free Member

pro-flex stems, always wanted one!!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

X Lite Fly stems in blue
    XTR to still come in XTR grey

bikebouy
    Free Member

Klein, i’d like to see them again.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Those pace xc frames with externally butted square tubing.

samcamsdad

Tioga disc drives, just for the rumble noise they made!

Northwind

Proper old Shimano hubs that last forever (20 years and counting on my Exages, and they still do more miles than any other hub I own and get less servicing)

Hmm. Looking at the amount of stuff in this thread that people wish would come back, then having a quick look to see how much of it actually has come back, or never went away, is interesting.

qwerty
    Free Member

a Ti Hite Rite and Cool Tool

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Biscuit coloured tyres.Panaracer smoke and dart iirc. The crud claw and on a bmx,GT 3 spoke mags.

amplebrew

I wish they would bring back….

1) Nice high end steel Kona’s, GT’s and Specialized.
    2) Onza bar ends.
    3) Grafton bits.
    4) M900 XTR.
    5) Campagnolo MTB goups.
    6) Elevated chainstays.
    7) Nike Pooh Bah’s with the ‘world cup’ stripe.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Sat in my shed waiting for me to get back is a GT RTS frame, a flite ti saddle, some yellow judy SLs, yellow onza ule grips, purple USE seatpost and bar with integrated purple bar ends, a full M900 groupset, some xt flat pedals and some white industries on mavic ceramic wheels with Smoke/Dart tyres.

I’m sure it’ll ride crap compared to my ibis, but it’s the bike I lusted after as a kid but could never afford.

Only 60 odd days till home time. 🙂

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Oh, and some purple onza chill pills, because they’re the very essence of early 90’s bike bling. Utterly pointless over the OEM stuff, but increased pose factor. 😀

AngusWells

Poobahs, my first pair of proper cycling shoes. I was in fabric walking boots until then.

Bring them back.

LAT

It must be time for the DCD to make a comeback. Light and simple and kept the chain on.

crazy-legs

Whatever happened to Rox and No Fear? I remember the days of going to a mountain bike race (XC of course) and everyone wearing either a Rox or a No Fear T-shirt.

/rose tinted specs.

LAT

With regard to Grafton, I think they had a bad batch of cranks that all broke. The resulting claims put them out of business.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Klein. proper ones.

tang
    Free Member

pace rc 29er would be cool, tioga discdrive(not sure they were any good but i saw jmc race on one so had to be cool) – sounded better than a pro11! campag to do a mtb groupset again.
    bullseye cranks!

tomhoward

Proper Iron Horse bikes, not the BSO’s they’ve become.

IRC Kujo’s

Not exactly classic/retro, but I’m not as ‘seasoned’ as you guys :mrgreen:

Edit: Pace did a CNC’d stem in the late 90’s-early 00’s and it looked the shizzle, similare to a sunline V1 but just better! I only ever saw one, but I’ve wanted it ever since!

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Pedro’s milk bottle levers – I got a free pair from mbuk in the 90’s (?) and they are my longest serving lever they flex before they snap and are therefore most excellent!

I used mine yesterday! They must be pretty much the longest serving tool I have.

TiRed

a flite ti saddle

These went away? tell me it isn’t so

manitou
    Free Member

Ringle bottle cage. I have one but I’d like another!

amplebrew

Angus Wells – Member
    Poobahs, my first pair of proper cycling shoes. I was in fabric walking boots until then.

Bring them back.

I thought they were great, loved mine.

LAT – Member
    With regard to Grafton, I think they had a bad batch of cranks that all broke. The resulting claims put them out of business

That’s a shame, didn’t know that.

Dark-Side

White Onza Porcupine tyres
    Fat Chance Yo Eddy
    WTB Ti bars

RustySpanner

Caroline Alexander.

Marin, Kona and GT steel frames.

Proper mud clearance.

colournoise

Spooky Metalhead and Pashley 24/7. The two frames I REALLY wanted when I first seriously got into MTB.

Specialized Evil Twin Slalom tyres. Not particularly fast but grippy as ****.

Shimano red DX servo wave brake levers (I think LX were the same at the time?) – only Shimano kit I’ve ever preferred hands-down over SRAM/Avid stuff.

slainte 😀 rob

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Chill pills and biscuit tyres!!!! Minted!

lister

2.35 inch red Ritchey z-max tyres, grippy, soft and a lovely colour.

elastomer sprung forks…who wants any travel when it’s cold anyway? 😉

the malverns classic would be good to revisit too!

downthemiddle
    Free Member

26 inch wheels

boltonjon

Etto – nothing was cooler

etto helmet by boltonjon, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘what classic bike item do you wish would make a comeback?’ is closed to new replies.