Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What chromebook? Are 4gb ones faster than 2gb?
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve already got an Acer R11 (2gb, N3050 processor). There’s lots I like, the size, screen, keyboard etc.. are all good, plus it runs Android apps which is good for offline iPlayer and things.

However, it’s just too slow. Even with 2 or 4 tabs open it’s quite laggy scrolling up and down. I tried to book an airbnb place and gave up and used my more powerful Windows laptop.

So what does everyone else use? Are 4gb ones significantly faster even with slow processors?

I’m not too fussed about fullHD, I tried it on a Toshiba and it just made everything too small on these tiny screens.

nemesis
    Free Member

Not to answer the question (this is stw after all) but I noticed on my chromebook that some extensions caused the scrolling and general lag you described. Google translate was one iirc but there were others too.

xora

RAM makes bugger all difference to speed, just the amount of tabs you can have open. Neither of my ARM ones have been anywhere near as bad as your describing, something is wrong or you don’t have an adblocker 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SammyC
    Free Member

Out Acer chromebook can have 10s of tabs open and all are fine. I think something is not right on yours.

lazybike
    Free Member

something is wrong or you don’t have an adblocker

Apologies for the slight hijack…can anyone recommend an adblocker?

Stoner
    Free Member

the one with the most basic descriptive name is the best I have found. Useful for adding certain classes of non-ad frames if they are annoying.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

hmm, not sure whats up then… It’s fine on STW and gmail. Just more complex sites bring it to a halt. Facebook is unusable for instance. Maybe i’ll do a reset.

i have an ABer installed on it.

nemesis
    Free Member

Check out the ‘Terms and conditions’ below, you’ll see why people are cagey discussing it…

Our policy on Ad Blocking

Singletrackworld is an ad supported website. As a non-premier, registered user you are accepting that the displaying of ads in your browser is the cost of being a registered user and you agree that you will not block these ads. If you block the ads we reserve the right to suspend your account and/or block our content from displaying in your browser. In addition you agree not to promote the use of ad blocking on our site in either story comments or forum posts.

The ads in a very real sense do allow you to use this site without having to hand over cash for the content. If the ads were not there earning us money for the time we spend keeping this site running and filling it with content then we simply would not bother with a website at all or we would severely strip it back to just being a promotion site for the mag. It simply would not be economically viable without the ads there.

nemesis
    Free Member

Facebook works fine on our chromebook – Acer 14 one, nothing special and it can run 10 tabs comfortably

Stoner
    Free Member

mind you nemesis, what with the grot-service issues going on, there’s almost an inevitability to naming products to protect users’ reputations!

ahem

lazybike
    Free Member

Check out the ‘Terms and conditions’ below, you’ll see why people are cagey discussing it…

Ok…I hadn’t realised that.

molgrips
    Free Member

Are 4gb ones significantly faster even with slow processors?

It has been said that more RAM makes your computer faster. But this is only true (in any significant sense) if what you are doing uses up more RAM than your computer has. If that happens, it starts to save parts of RAM to disk when it’s not using them, which makes it really slow. This used to be a problem back in the day, but is hardly ever an issue now.

Especially in your case, 2Gb is way more than enough to hold three or four browser tabs.

Chromebooks often have slow processors, that’s why they are so cheap after all. But the OS is so optimised that it’s not normally an issue. However if a webpage is a really bad one that has loads of crap scrips and animation etc on it, it might be the problem.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What chromebook? Are 4gb ones faster than 2gb?’ is closed to new replies.